News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnoc

Quote from: Tony on June 20, 2024, 06:49:03 PMWell as has been stated many times these are the last being built for any operator, so no, they won't end up on the Soho & Dudley Road.

As for putting an extra row of seats upstairs, check the advertising the whole point is extra legroom. I don't want my knees in the back of the seat in front
The leg room upstairs is a lot longer than MMC platinums, and plat MMC's leg room is good (especially for a 6' 0 person). Other operators have an extra row of seats upstairs on their BYD double decks, doesn't seem like there is much trouble with legroom.

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on June 20, 2024, 07:12:10 PMThe leg room upstairs is a lot longer than MMC platinums, and plat MMC's leg room is good (especially for a 6' 0 person). Other operators have an extra row of seats upstairs on their BYD double decks, doesn't seem like there is much trouble with legroom.

So you want the same number of seats as a platinum in a shorter bus, that tells me you are going to lose the advantage of the extra legroom a platinum has!

Sh4318

While I'm shocked to hear the amount of seats these BYDs have, the seats more than make up for it, they're up there with some of the most comfortable bus seats I've ever sat on
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Ronnoc

Quote from: Tony on June 20, 2024, 07:46:19 PMSo you want the same number of seats as a platinum in a shorter bus, that tells me you are going to lose the advantage of the extra legroom a platinum has!
I'm just throwing ideas out there tbh, if the extra row compromises the premium brand then fair enough. 

But won't the issue of reduced capacity still stand though? It won't be as pronounced on the 2/3 or 35, but it loses roughly one bus per hour on the 50 (if my rough calculations are correct).

ellspurs

The Camp Hill line'll be hopefully (lol) active by the end of the year so the every 3 minute...

... it's every 6-7 minutes now? Traffic must be bad for them all to be backed up on Alcester Road whenever I see them.

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on June 20, 2024, 08:15:46 PMI'm just throwing ideas out there tbh, if the extra row compromises the premium brand then fair enough.

But won't the issue of reduced capacity still stand though? It won't be as pronounced on the 2/3 or 35, but it loses roughly one bus per hour on the 50 (if my rough calculations are correct).
Total capacity of a BYD is four more than a platinum

cardew

Quote from: ellspurs on June 20, 2024, 08:42:38 PMThe Camp Hill line'll be hopefully (lol) active by the end of the year so the every 3 minute...

... it's every 6-7 minutes now? Traffic must be bad for them all to be backed up on Alcester Road whenever I see them.
End of the year Hmm. Optimism costs nothing :)

The 50 is of course augmented by Diamond using double deckers to share some of the load.

If I recall, the Wright Electroliner and the new ADL EV400 have significantly more seating capacity than the BYDs but I stand to be corrected.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Tony on June 20, 2024, 08:48:26 PMTotal capacity of a BYD is four more than a platinum
Don't be ridiculous, do you honestly think that passengers prefer standing rather than sitting ?
That's a good way of keeping passengers isn't it.

The Real 4777

Quote from: cardew on June 20, 2024, 09:15:46 PMIf I recall, the Wright Electroliner and the new ADL EV400 have significantly more seating capacity than the BYDs but I stand to be corrected.

Based on the discussion that has happened in the interim, your highlighted comment turned out to be extremely apt!

Straightlines

Quote from: Steve3229vp on June 20, 2024, 10:41:15 PMDon't be ridiculous, do you honestly think that passengers prefer standing rather than sitting ?
That's a good way of keeping passengers isn't it.

Got to keep those Platinum advantages eg. standing.

The Real 4777

Quote from: Straightlines on June 20, 2024, 11:13:21 PMGot to keep those Platinum advantages eg. standing.

Poisonous Platinums are killing the planet though, they can't be retired fast enough. 

Ingleboro261F

Ronnoc

Quote from: Tony on June 20, 2024, 08:48:26 PMTotal capacity of a BYD is four more than a platinum
The BYD is shorter and the standing space seems pretty similar to the MMC platinums, doesn't look like it can compensate the loss of 8 seats.

If NX were to buy electroliners, I'd be slightly worried about seating capacity considering they are 10.6m.

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on June 21, 2024, 10:47:06 AMThe BYD is shorter and the standing space seems pretty similar to the MMC platinums, doesn't look like it can compensate the loss of 8 seats.

If NX were to buy electroliners, I'd be slightly worried about seating capacity considering they are 10.6m.
How do you know which length NX would order, it could be the 11.5m version 

Ronnoc

Quote from: Tony on June 21, 2024, 11:15:15 AMHow do you know which length NX would order, it could be the 11.5m version

From the specs on wrightbus I could only see 10.6m available for the closed-top electroliner, and NX don't usually order double deckers longer than 11m. But it would be cool to see NX order an 11.5m electroliner if infrastructure permits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk