News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Fleetline 6667

Started by j789, July 01, 2014, 08:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j789

On another post a link was given to a Flickr site with lots of photos of old West Mids buses. On the caption for Fleetline 6667 it says the bus was sold by WMT to Darlington and then passed to Stevensons, but then was reacquired by WMT in 1994. I never knew old fleetlines were bought by WMT. Were any others bought back as well?

Gareth

I believe 6667 was only on hire to Darlington, then returned to WMT who then hired it to Stevensons around the time WMT took over Stevenson services in the West Midlands.
It was then repainted from grey into the current silver livery and placed back into the the main fleet.

j789

Thanks Gareth. Makes sense as WMT hired a lot of buses out, mainly Metros but obviously fleetlines as well. Looking back at those photos it really doesn't seem 20 years since that time, the red stripe livery still looks modern now.

Gareth

I remember this period of time with great fondness. I was a young teenager who was now old enough to explore the network and see the glorious sights of all these foreign garages. Looking back, some of the fleet was in an awful state. Multiple liveries and subsidiary companies. Far worse than the fleet now. But how the buses were better! Fleetlines, Metrobuses, nationals etc etc. Great times!
It was mainly Metrobuses on hire, but also quantities of metroriders, nationals and Fleetlines. Then of course WMT took over quite a few companies around the country leading to even greater variety being transferred in and out.
If only I had a time machine. Sites like Flickr being the next best thing.

Tony

New to Washwood Heath in 1/79
to Cleveland Road 8/87
to Perry Barr 4/90
to reserve fleet 7/93
Hired to Merseyside 1/94-5/94
to reserve fleet, parked at Perry Barr 5/94
moved to Tyburn Road 6/94
allocated to the former Stevensons garage 9/94 (after the takeover, so never ran for Stevensons)
transferred to Perry Barr 10/94
to reserve fleet parked at Selly Oak 7/96
sold 11/96
last taxed in 7/96 so went for scrap

I have no record of it in Darlington or operating for Stevensons, but I have no problem if anyone can prove me wrong.

j789

Thank you Tony, it seems the original caption on the photo had some elements of 6667 history confused, but the Stevensons part is understandable. On a different note, did any Stevensons vehicles (not former WM buses) run for WMT on takeover or was it just routes?

Gareth

Here is a link with reference to Darlington (fleetnumber 217) on a Stevensons 529 route.
Were WMT still running ex Stevensons routes in effect competing with themselves after the takeover?
I can't make out the legal lettering, and that seems to be the type of ticket machine that Stevensons used.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walsall1955/4843229106/

Gareth

Quote from: j789 on July 01, 2014, 08:36:06 PM
Thank you Tony, it seems the original caption on the photo had some elements of 6667 history confused, but the Stevensons part is understandable. On a different note, did any Stevensons vehicles (not former WM buses) run for WMT on takeover or was it just routes?

I think there was a Mercedes minibus taken on 897? Think it had a Glasgow registration plate, and think it ended up at WB

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on July 01, 2014, 08:36:16 PM
Here is a link with reference to Darlington (fleetnumber 217) on a Stevensons 529 route.
Were WMT still running ex Stevensons routes in effect competing with themselves after the takeover?
I can't make out the legal lettering, and that seems to be the type of ticket machine that Stevensons used.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walsall1955/4843229106/

The one caption underneath is correct it is during the six weeks were registrations cannot be cancelled TWM had purchased the West Midlands operation but Stevensons had to give the 42 days notification to cancel the services, so it is running on a Stevenson's registered service 'on hire' during those 42 days

Gareth

Thanks for the info Tony

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on July 01, 2014, 08:40:30 PM
Quote from: j789 on July 01, 2014, 08:36:06 PM

I think there was a Mercedes minibus taken on 897? Think it had a Glasgow registration plate, and think it ended up at WB

I think only one Stevensons vehicle actually got painted
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44483738@N05/4385386343/
although AG had a 'D' reg Merc in Yellow for a time

Beano2211

Gareth

Thanks Beano2211! Looks like the side advert is still the same on the Wolverhampton photo.

j789

Excellent photo. Did Stevensons still have any ex WM DMS in their fleet at this time?

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on July 01, 2014, 09:06:29 PM
Thanks Beano2211! Looks like the side advert is still the same on the Wolverhampton photo.

It will be sometime between 1/94 and 5/94, after Merseyside and before returning to Perry Barr. That is the only non-definate bit I have in it's history, and would also tie in with the advert and fleetnumber. definately left for Merseyside 1/94 and didn't leave the West Midlands after 7/94. Darlington must have been in that gap

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk