News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

First Bus - Leicester

Started by John, May 19, 2014, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSmith09

36630 (BN24 ZWU) has entered service on the 14/14A today - this is the final electroliner to enter service.

Glenfieldmathk1

Quote from: SSmith09 on June 08, 2024, 11:04:02 AM36630 (BN24 ZWU) has entered service on the 14/14A today - this is the final electroliner to enter service.
Wonder if they will order some more in future? Replace / upgrade some kites on those busy routes..
Noticed on Wednesday last week - 74 running full leaving passengers behind at stops all the way along Anstey Lane, same issue also happens on 13, 14 & 18 at times. Also reading 88 the same (though I not noticed this personally), you see a double decker on these would eliminate that issue.

Also noticed summer timetables have been registered. 4, 14, 15, 16, 74 & 88 all registered changes.

Magikrabby

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on June 08, 2024, 02:59:59 PMWonder if they will order some more in future? Replace / upgrade some kites on those busy routes..
I have noticed that whilst the streetdeck electroliners have entered service, there have been a total of around 22 deckers out on weekdays, so 5 additional electric deckers at least seems likely. Beyond that I am hoping so, but it is entirely up to first if they think it would be worth it! I have read some comments online saying that they might convert some diesel streetdecks to be electric, but its the internet so hard to say if this is true.

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on June 08, 2024, 02:59:59 PMNoticed on Wednesday last week - 74 running full leaving passengers behind at stops all the way along Anstey Lane, same issue also happens on 13, 14 & 18 at times. Also reading 88 the same (though I not noticed this personally), you see a double decker on these would eliminate that issue.
Would it though? The streetdecks total rated capacity isn't that much higher than the kites. Yes deckers do have significantly more seats, but they have a lower standing capacity because they are limited by how much weight the chassis can safely hold. Take for instance Centrebus' 902 - that bus is huge and has 90 seats, but is only rated for 2 standees! The issue of leaving passengers at stops would be reduced, but I doubt it would be eliminated entirely. That being said deckers are much more appealing to customers, because there is more space and more seats, but it is a case of whether that justifies the increase in cost.

Glenfieldmathk1

Quote from: Magikrabby on June 08, 2024, 03:45:19 PMThe issue of leaving passengers at stops would be reduced, but I doubt it would be eliminated entirely. That being said deckers are much more appealing to customers, because there is more space and more seats, but it is a case of whether that justifies the increase in cost.
Exactly. More seats, happier customers. We don't want to be standing crammed into a single decker with no room to move.
We aren't on the London Underground!
The Streetdecks do have standing space but also surely more people on seats is safer too.

Glenfieldmathk1

Quote from: Magikrabby on June 08, 2024, 03:45:19 PMI have read some comments online saying that they might convert some diesel streetdecks to be electric, but its the internet so hard to say if this is true.
We'll see! I hold out hope, but it's internet.
when you ask these people for clarification you get a blank / no response!

RobertJ21a

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on June 08, 2024, 02:59:59 PMWonder if they will order some more in future? Replace / upgrade some kites on those busy routes..
Noticed on Wednesday last week - 74 running full leaving passengers behind at stops all the way along Anstey Lane, same issue also happens on 13, 14 & 18 at times. Also reading 88 the same (though I not noticed this personally), you see a double decker on these would eliminate that issue.

Also noticed summer timetables have been registered. 4, 14, 15, 16, 74 & 88 all registered changes.
There's no need to order any more double deckers. Leicester routes are all very short (in distance and time) and the Kites can take far more standing than is normally seen. It is only a few journeys that get really busy and a bit of timetable fine tuning could sort that out. In any event it's often for only a few stops.

It's a totally different situation to Arriva where a round trip can be 3 or 4 hours long and a decker might be useful at various times, and locations.

markcf83

Last Friday I was in Leicester to see what ahs gone on there,not just in regards to First but also Arriva and Centrebus. What I would suggest to management is to run,on the routes that can take double deckers,alternate or every third trip with double deckers. I did'nt exactly encounter any buses that were severely overcrowded,at least with First, but this is something that could be looked at in future. 

My impressions of both the single and double deckers is that they were very good-something I hope to experience more of next month when I head to Leeds.

I was last in Leicester in 2010 so this was very much a very keenly anticipated trip for me and hope to visit again much sooner than fourteen years from now.   
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Glenfieldmathk1

35146 (from Bristol) Wright Streetdeck has been spotted converted to Electric and wearing Leicester All Green electric livery.
Article here: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/wrightbus-launches-electrification-drive-diesel-buses
I see in the article a second Leicester Streetdeck there also being converted!

Maybe the rumours are indeed true. I guess we'll see what happens in the future.

Also to note: 3 low height Streetdecks from the Potteries have swapped with 3 E400's from Leicester this weekend (as Leicester is running some festival work and needs low height vehicles). As a result 2 electric Streetdecks went on the Amazon shuttles this morning. I believe this is the first time for the electric Streetdecks.
(I think it also confirms the 2 E400's still in Leicester are not in use).

A side note: (from Facebook so may not be 100%), Amazon shuttles from Leicester will also be fully electric once the conversion program is completed.

SSmith09

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on June 21, 2024, 06:32:16 PMAs a result 2 electric Streetdecks went on the Amazon shuttles this morning. I believe this is the first time for the electric Streetdecks.
(I think it also confirms the 2 E400's still in Leicester are not in use)
33697 (E400) hasn't been used since it broke down in the middle of Groby Road roundabout causing chaos on 13th May.

SSmith09

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on June 21, 2024, 06:32:16 PM35146 (from Bristol) Wright Streetdeck has been spotted converted to Electric and wearing Leicester All Green electric livery.
Article here: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/wrightbus-launches-electrification-drive-diesel-buses
I see in the article a second Leicester Streetdeck there also being converted!
Could be 35152 the one that went over to Worcester and hasn't seen service yet - it was reported to be one for conversion.

Magikrabby

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on June 21, 2024, 06:32:16 PMA side note: (from Facebook so may not be 100%), Amazon shuttles from Leicester will also be fully electric once the conversion program is completed.
This wouldn't surprise me, since I remember reading on here the reason for using Enviros is that the Streedeck's engine doesn't doesn't get along with motorways. This won't be a problem with the electrics since they don't have an engine - there is less that can go mechanically wrong.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk