News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Alexander Dennis Enviro400 Discussion

Started by Stuharris 6360, May 01, 2014, 09:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Currently on 6104 heading out of the city and I'm not gonna lie, loving the leg room, all 6ft 4in fits with room to spare! And the rides nice and smooth as well
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

the trainbasher

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Trident 4194

My brothers went on one today, they said they are very nice, but he said " it was like Barbados on there, with heating on all the way from halesowen to stourbridge. He also said the seats seem wider."
My other brother said" they have a low ceiling, And was too hot"

Just thought I'd share some non enthusiasts opinions

the trainbasher

Quite a few passengers I've heard say that they're quieter, roomy and better. you could even smell the newness!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on March 10, 2015, 07:36:54 PM
My brothers went on one today, they said they are very nice, but he said " it was like Barbados on there, with heating on all the way from halesowen to stourbridge. He also said the seats seem wider."
My other brother said" they have a low ceiling, And was too hot"

Just thought I'd share some non enthusiasts opinions

A It's March, I would expect the heating to be on (may be too warm, but heaters are normally on in March.
B Low ceiling? compared to what? as they are no lower than other buses

Stevo

Oddly enough I had the distinct impression that the ceiling height towards the rear of the lower deck was lower than before.

CL

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 10, 2015, 07:43:20 PM
Quite a few passengers I've heard say that they're quieter, roomy and better. you could even smell the newness!

I caught 6101 this morning. I could definitely smell something 'pleasant'... A bus equivalent to new car smell?  :P

Brilliant bus(es) - I hope I can catch them to school most mornings... Of course a 100% chance when all 22 are in service. I agree with some statements, regarding the cooling fan(?), my opinion: It seems a tad bit loud, though, it shouldn't really 'block' speech, so to speak, no pun intended. It did seem a bit too warm, though, nonetheless pleasant. It is very spacious, compared to the Euro 5 version, especially around the door... The interior did seem stupendously well-lit...

What's more, he driver was awfully friendly, and quite talkative to his passengers, seeing as the new cab door 'protrudes' outwards slightly, giving a more sociable, and an approachable feel to it. We exchanged thanks when I got off my stop. Other passengers' reaction were mostly, if not, all positive, from what I could see...

I have a day off school on Friday, so I hope I can spend the whole day on some MMCs, and possibly a cheeky round trip.  ;)

Overall, I'd give this bus a whopping 9/10, despite the ever so slightly askew (in my opinion) temperature, and the relatively loud cooling fan.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

The other day I was parked behind a new enviro 400 mmc looking at the rear engine cover it appears to be made of GRP reason I say there's hell of lot of ripples in the finish made obvious by dark new paint, to me it just looked cheap, to get grp moulds perfect extremely hard work.

Mike K

Quote from: 2900 on March 17, 2015, 11:07:51 PM
The other day I was parked behind a new enviro 400 mmc looking at the rear engine cover it appears to be made of GRP reason I say there's hell of lot of ripples in the finish made obvious by dark new paint, to me it just looked cheap, to get grp moulds perfect extremely hard work.

I thought the very same on Saturday when I got stuck behind one between Colley Gate and Halesowen. Looked like a team of panel beaters had been having a go at the bonnet. What is GRP by the way?

Glass reinforced plastic bus industry and metrocabs love the stuff

If you ever notice  Any panel on a bus that has shape swage lines etc will be made from grp cause it's cheap rather than aluminium which would require press machines to be made up which is costly

Liverpool Street

Quote from: 2900 on March 17, 2015, 11:28:55 PM
If you ever notice  Any panel on a bus that has shape swage lines etc will be made from grp cause it's cheap rather than aluminium which would require press machines to be made up which is costly

Fibre glass?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

On the mercs the only thing on the outside you'll find that was grp was the front bumper every thing else all mild steel, most buses I find the entire front and rear ends except bonnets in the most case are made from grp panels unstressed I might add. There's a picture somewhere of a metrobus at Hockley garage it's worth seeing completely fire ravaged all the ally panels have long melted away but the grp panels still there it stands out like a sore thumb, Tony probably knows which bus I,m on about.

Gareth

Quote from: 2900 on March 17, 2015, 11:43:14 PM
On the mercs the only thing on the outside you'll find that was grp was the front bumper every thing else all mild steel, most buses I find the entire front and rear ends except bonnets in the most case are made from grp panels unstressed I might add. There's a picture somewhere of a metrobus at Hockley garage it's worth seeing completely fire ravaged all the ally panels have long melted away but the grp panels still there it stands out like a sore thumb, Tony probably knows which bus I,m on about.

2964, I believe. It has a front and rear end with very little left inbetween!

Glass reinforced plastic, GRP, glass fibre same thing, horrible stuff to work with.
Alexander alx400 and enviro 200 400 interiors are awash with this grp  but finished with blue or grey gel coat, all smooth and shiny just looks cheap and nasty, granted its easy to clean, Wrightbus is the same but they,ve given it a textured finish with a matt blue colour looks so much better, not cheap looking. 4709 gained a shiny front dash area after its bump with a tree, the finish to be honest is crap its been applied with a paint brush there loads of crap in the paint a simple pre clean would have helped the finish, it really does look hopeless. There's one president that's had its whole cab painted in this shiny  blue its awfull nothing appears to be masked up or even cleaned its a joke.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk