News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

New Bus Orders 2014

Started by Wolves256, February 11, 2014, 02:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Liberator9 on March 15, 2014, 10:24:27 PM
The Scania cascade idea is a good one; send 9/10 to YW and the rest to WA; however I still believe the next order for AG will be for the 11A/11C as they need it more.

The 11A/11C must be getting close to high priority for a new/newer fleet.

I can't see YW getting just 9/10 new single deckers of a new type to replace the last of the B10L. They will either be replaced by Omnilink cascades from other garages or the existing Omnilink at YW will be cascaded out along when the B10L are withdrawn, YW would then get a new fleet of single deckers of one type

Liberator9

Sorry Winston but I did say Scania;  will be interesting what does happen regarding YW's B10Ls, if anything does this year.

P419 EJW

Quote from: Liberator9 on March 16, 2014, 06:52:46 AM
Sorry Winston but I did say Scania;  will be interesting what does happen regarding YW's B10Ls, if anything does this year.

I asked a Yardley Wood bus driver couple of weeks ago, when would the B10Ls be withdrawn. He said it is possible the B10Ls would stay in service until at the end of this year but not sure exactly when, though.

Stevo

The buses I mentioned in my 37 post were Wrightbus products, not Volvos. There's no Volvo connection in the new Wrightbus double-decker, which has a Mercedes 4-cyl engine, nor in the Wright Gemini DL, which has a VDL DB300 chassis module with Cummins engine like the E400, but rides better.

winston

Quote from: Stevo on March 16, 2014, 07:26:32 PM
The buses I mentioned in my 37 post were Wrightbus products, not Volvos. There's no Volvo connection in the new Wrightbus double-decker, which has a Mercedes 4-cyl engine, nor in the Wright Gemini DL, which has a VDL DB300 chassis module with Cummins engine like the E400, but rides better.

Stevo,

Sorry you meant the forthcoming Wright 'StreetDeck' which I don't think has been formally launched yet

http://www.busandcoachbuyer.com/daimler-engines-wrightbus-targets-euro-growth/2/

I took it you meant the Volvo B5TL/Wright Gemini III.

With all the tit bits that have been confirmed by NX staff, it sounds as though only ADL products have been ordered to date

Stu

Quote from: Winston on March 15, 2014, 10:29:59 PM
Quote from: Liberator9 on March 15, 2014, 10:24:27 PM
The Scania cascade idea is a good one; send 9/10 to YW and the rest to WA; however I still believe the next order for AG will be for the 11A/11C as they need it more.

The 11A/11C must be getting close to high priority for a new/newer fleet.

I can't see YW getting just 9/10 new single deckers of a new type to replace the last of the B10L. They will either be replaced by Omnilink cascades from other garages or the existing Omnilink at YW will be cascaded out along when the B10L are withdrawn, YW would then get a new fleet of single deckers of one type

Upgrading the 11 would need approx 40 new buses, which would be a large proportion of any new order for that year. As much as I would love to see it myself, this probably won't happen until next year; the Presidents have probably got another year left in them, and I imagine the priority at the moment is to replace more of the ageing single deckers in the fleet, such as the Mercedes left at West Bromwich.

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why double-decks couldn't be used on the 27 route to replace the B10Ls left at YW?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

P419 EJW

Quote from: Stu on March 16, 2014, 08:12:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why double-decks couldn't be used on the 27 route to replace the B10Ls left at YW?

There is a low bridge in Bournville. See the second picture of 1406.

http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/1317-1514/1406.html

Stu

Quote from: P419 EJW on March 16, 2014, 08:15:11 PM

I see now, thanks! Could they not divert the 27 via Mary Vale Road, to avoid the low bridge? It could still serve Bournville rail station that way, and would remove the necessity for single decks?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

P419 EJW

Quote from: Stu on March 16, 2014, 08:24:36 PM

I see now, thanks! Could they not divert the 27 via Mary Vale Road, to avoid the low bridge? It could still serve Bournville rail station that way, and would remove the necessity for single decks?

That's actually not a bad idea!

filbus1

Quote from: Stu on March 16, 2014, 08:24:36 PM

Didn't they try this once sometime ago as an experiment but nothing came of it

trident4370

My only worry about that would be the tight lefthand turn onto the Pershore road, you might also get the Cadbury workers complaining but as with any bus change there are winners and losers, it isn't the worst idea I have ever heard though.
Having said that would the 27 be the best candidate for double deckers, I mean I have seen some sights on the Northfield-Hawkesley section as it is with Single Deckers, doubles might create more problems than they solved with 'nuiscance passengers' shall we say.

Liberator9

In that case just cut the route back to Northfield from Hawkesley ;D  Only other issue is where the deckers would actually come from unless some more Tridents are displaced.

filbus1

Quote from: Liberator9 on March 17, 2014, 06:20:25 AM
In that case just cut the route back to Northfield from Hawkesley ;D  Only other issue is where the deckers would actually come from unless some more Tridents are displaced.

Will double deckers also safely clear the bridge by Northfield station?

Liberator9

Not sure; it looks a close fit actually. 

4Q

IIRC the bridge there is 14'9", will definitely fit a decker under. The one to worry about is Bournville, no chance of a decker under that!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk