News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

NXWM's Super-X Displays

Started by CL, February 07, 2014, 10:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Quote from: trident4370 on December 11, 2014, 10:59:30 PM
Thankfully not, but it has to be said even GRS have better displays than this!

:) :) :)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

CL

Quote from: trident4370 on December 11, 2014, 10:59:30 PM
Quote from: clayderman on December 11, 2014, 10:53:55 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on December 11, 2014, 09:13:19 PM
Super X has finally made it to YW, the destinations are more difficult to read now than before, same with AG and the Outer Circle!

Never thought i'd see the day. Do the Outer Circle displays scroll?
Thankfully not, but it has to be said even GRS have better displays than this!

Honestly, I would've liked to have seen them scrolling. It could have provided more in-depth information at the destinations, like "Winson Green & Handsworth" or "City Hospital", as opposed to just "Handsworth" or just "Dudley Road"*. NX do really opt for the lazier option, someone from here should ought to pay a visit to fix these displays pronto!  :D

To be fair, the 11 doesn't serve most of Dudley Road anyway. I guess it was to conserve space during editing, but seeing as it's now SuperX (with Scrolling capabilities) - they should change it to 'Summerfield Park'...  ::)

NX manage to get us fuming. I just hope future displays will look 'prestige' on the new buses...
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

trident4370

The old 11 blinds also had Dudley Road on them too, I agree it is silly when the 11 serves what 2 stops on there? Only reason I can think of is maybe City Hospital doesn't quite fit but I'm sure that could be fixed by swapping the & for a comma and losing the spare space.
As I've said GRS Blinds look rather nice they have a much clearer destination (allbeit it only says "Outer Circle"), those few pixels do make a big difference, proof scrollers don't have to look crap!
Could be worse though, they could be Green Bus style ;)

the trainbasher

When I did the GRS ones I was originally erring on following the example of Stagecoach in Thanet and have 2/3 programs for each direction (they have one for Ramsgate in each way and one for Margate in each way) and how their loop was programmed, however I decided to follow the lead of the outer circle being displayed at the top because it's a long route which delays can occur and also "outer circle" is well known and has been displayed by many operators as opposed to a town on it.

What I did at the start of the via points was put either "anticlockwise service via..." or "clockwise service via..." to help guide passengers. I also wanted to differentiate the displays against the AG displays so people would recognise the GRS buses. Unfortunately it couldn't be done on the Marshalls...

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

CL

Quote from: trident4370 on December 12, 2014, 10:04:32 PM
The old 11 blinds also had Dudley Road on them too, I agree it is silly when the 11 serves what 2 stops on there? Only reason I can think of is maybe City Hospital doesn't quite fit but I'm sure that could be fixed by swapping the & for a comma and losing the spare space.
As I've said GRS Blinds look rather nice they have a much clearer destination (allbeit it only says "Outer Circle"), those few pixels do make a big difference, proof scrollers don't have to look crap!
Could be worse though, they could be Green Bus style ;)

No doubt TGB are the worst! I absolutely loathe the green displays, they blind me, they honestly do... Now I know it has something to do with trying to stand out, but GREEN? Might as well have been brown.  :P (Turd Machines)

CL

Hang on, quick question (while the topic's still hot)

Recent Post on Flickr: Need Help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122377951@N02/15820322608/

trident4370

Quote from: the trainbasher on December 12, 2014, 10:17:57 PM
When I did the GRS ones I was originally erring on following the example of Stagecoach in Thanet and have 2/3 programs for each direction (they have one for Ramsgate in each way and one for Margate in each way) and how their loop was programmed, however I decided to follow the lead of the outer circle being displayed at the top because it's a long route which delays can occur and also "outer circle" is well known and has been displayed by many operators as opposed to a town on it.

What I did at the start of the via points was put either "anticlockwise service via..." or "clockwise service via..." to help guide passengers. I also wanted to differentiate the displays against the AG displays so people would recognise the GRS buses. Unfortunately it couldn't be done on the Marshalls...

To be fair there is only so much you can do with a route like the Outer Circle. Having a clear and easily readable destination is by far the most important thing in my opinion and although I'm yet to see the Marshalls, the Hanovers look great!

Clayderman the main problem I have with snotbus displays is that they don't really tell you where they are going, instead they try and flog you a bus pass! When they first started on the 50, both the displays and buses looked smart, now neither of them do :(

CL

Quote from: trident4370 on December 13, 2014, 08:02:08 PM
Quote from: the trainbasher on December 12, 2014, 10:17:57 PM

To be fair there is only so much you can do with a route like the Outer Circle. Having a clear and easily readable destination is by far the most important thing in my opinion and although I'm yet to see the Marshalls, the Hanovers look great!

Clayderman the main problem I have with snotbus displays is that they don't really tell you where they are going, instead they try and flog you a bus pass! When they first started on the 50, both the displays and buses looked smart, now neither of them do :(

Fair Point. In reality, it's true. Same goes for Diamond, although, Diamond does tell you where they go... (On the 16, anyway.)

trident4370

Yeah I don't mind Diamonds in the slightest they do it more sensibly!

trident4370

Just seen on 4725 YW have already changed their Super X displays, and have now made the destination larger. Must admit I actually like it now, clear number and clear desti, just a shame the other garages havent made the effort yet!

Stu

Noticed yesterday that some of AG's buses now have scrolling Super-X displays.

Only seen a few on the 37 so far, but this evening I spotted a 5 with a seemingly half-programmed display - it showed the first 'page' with Solihull on top line, and then Town Centre in bold on the bottom line, then the second page had 'via Sparkbrook' scrolling alone across the bottom line, followed by static 'via Sarehole Mill & Shirley' on the bottom. The 31s don't scroll, but only show Sparkhill, Acocks Green and Gospel Oak as via points.

Hopefully they'll all be finished and programmed in a consistent format soon (with the exception of the few flip-dot display Geminis obviously), as there's a right old mish-mash of styles at the moment!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

don

I think the problem I have with all of this is how visible these displays are to intending passengers, and particularly those with visual impairment.

1) Showing the route number on the left side of the front (above the driver) is not helpful, because passengers get on the other side and mostly approach the bus from that side - so why put it furthest away?
2) The ultimate destination on the top line is too small when you have a scroll of via destinations on the bottom line. Is the top line in these new displays compliant with best practice for the visually impaired for font size?
3) It is debatable how useful the via points are - would anyone catch the bus because they'd seen the via point (other than on a circular service).

I saw a short working on the Outer Circle last week which had a scrolling message 'Outer Circle short working' or something similar and some other wording which I've forgotten on the side display - however I noticed particularly I didn't see the actual turning point displayed on the side indicator, which struck me as being a little unhelpful - although the short working information was helpful, I thought.

I would agree with whoever complained about green displays. A firm local to me, which paints its buses green, uses them. At night they're a positive distraction to other traffic, they are that bright!!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Stu

Quote from: don on December 18, 2014, 02:46:59 PM
I saw a short working on the Outer Circle last week which had a scrolling message 'Outer Circle short working' or something similar and some other wording which I've forgotten on the side display - however I noticed particularly I didn't see the actual turning point displayed on the side indicator, which struck me as being a little unhelpful - although the short working information was helpful, I thought.

On the Outer Circle, people generally don't pay attention to the displays anyway. You'll still get 11Es showing 'Acocks Green' and 'Fox Hollies Road' on the display pulling up in Acocks Green, with people running to get on, and then getting shirty with the driver when he informs them he (or she) is NOT going to Kings Heath!  :P

On a side note, I did see a 5 this evening with the scrolling via points, and its nice to see the full list is now shown again; they haven't shown 'Monkspath and Widney Manor' for some time now!

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

I think the problem I have with all of this is how visible these displays are to intending passengers, and particularly those with visual impairment.

1) Showing the route number on the left side of the front (above the driver) is not helpful, because passengers get on the other side and mostly approach the bus from that side - so why put it furthest away?

It is not on the left (above the driver)?

don

Quote from: Tony on December 18, 2014, 06:50:03 PM

It is not on the left (above the driver)?

I picked this idea up from some of the photos in this thread. Are there variations around the system?

The issues of visibility probably only occur in daylight - it's the same with the TfL White on black roller blinds - far less visible than the standard yellowy/green - and the size of the lettering is excellent - at night they seem to be fairly similar in effectiveness.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk