News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

West Midlands Travel Sunday Depot Closures (Strikes ??)

Started by monkeyjoe, January 31, 2014, 10:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

Does anyone remember when they wanted to limit the number of depots used on a Sunday. From memory in Brum they only wanted BC / PB / AG to remain open for Sunday limited services. Does anyone remember the detail behind it. I remember all the lea hall services went to BC etc. The point to the question why was it such a big deal that all the drivers threatened to go on strike i'm talking mid 90s I think? Can anyone recall?

Westy

I remember the strikes they used to have on Saturdays.

Remember having to get my late father to drop me into town & I came back on the Choice as was!

Wasn't there a strike affecting the Birmingham garages only at one point & the out of Brum garages supported them by only running as their Birmingham boundary then turning round?

monkeyjoe

Don't remember that one. I just remember the one to do with the Sunday Brum garage closures. I don't think it actually happened but was on the news for ages.

Justin Tyme

I can't recall now if strikes took place over the Sunday plan, but I do recall that timetables were changed in anticipation of it.  It wasn't implemented.

I remember strikes a few years earlier, around 1989 - Your Bus (Smiths 50Y etc) did very well out of it, and a few other operators appears.  I managed a ride on a Mike de Courcey DMS Fleetline on the 58 one Saturday.

Westy

Re the Saturday strikes.

Choice Travel had a go at the 319 as it was (& still do as Arriva 19!) plus they put evening journeys on the 171 (their Mossley route!) briefly.

Stevensons (now part of Arriva! ) went on the 332 for the Manor Hospital.

Can't remember anymore.

37351ml

I recall park lane garage running the 6 in the evening and Sundays! Strange seeing striders and 2989 in Solihull!

andy

Midland Red North ran a 10 minute service on the 110 between Birmingham and Sutton on those days and we also ran the old 73 from Solihull to Chelmsley Wood with short Nationals instead of the usual Renault midibuses.

fleetline6477

PL ran the 84 Birmingham - Hawkesley for a while on Sunday using a variety of single deckers. I also have photos of PL Volvos on routes 6 and 57 at Solihull Station.

filbus1

Quote from: fleetline6477 on February 04, 2014, 07:38:50 AM
PL ran the 84 Birmingham - Hawkesley for a while on Sunday using a variety of single deckers. I also have photos of PL Volvos on routes 6 and 57 at Solihull Station.
Remember seeing 2989 in Hawkesley on a Sunday. thought I had took the wrong pills!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk