News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Cross city bus routes?

Started by :D, January 23, 2014, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:D

Obviously, this idea has been shot down so many times due to the traffic congestion in city being unpredictable and many cross city bus routes have had their route cut down just to city centre.

Although this suggestion is similar but instead of going through city centre, it goes around it using A4540 (The ring road). The bus will terminate just few miles after leaving A4540. I thought this could be useful to the majority of passengers in peak time who only wants to get to another side of the city as quickly as possible. I know this is what 8A/C does but it doesn't cover it completely and usually it's not useful for crossing the city.

This could apply to a select few currently running bus routes that aren't too frequent but not too infrequent.

Kevin

Ring Road can be worse than the city proper at times for traffic, the 8 can get horrendously late as it is
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Quote from: Kevin on January 25, 2014, 08:54:28 AM
Ring Road can be worse than the city proper at times for traffic, the 8 can get horrendously late as it is
Some parts of the ring road can be less busy than the city, I think ring road south/east isn't that busy in peak times.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: :D on January 26, 2014, 12:22:22 PM
Some parts of the ring road can be less busy than the city, I think ring road south/east isn't that busy in peak times.

You wanna bet?

The only difference is is the ring road seems to flow better with longer light sequences, but still can be disgustingly slow.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Quote from: Liverpool Street on January 26, 2014, 10:15:41 PM

You wanna bet?

The only difference is is the ring road seems to flow better with longer light sequences, but still can be disgustingly slow.
It seems like you're correct. I went to the ring road on Friday at rush hour, and it was really congested. It's a while since last time I went to the ring of road.

Looks like this suggestion is dead in the water.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: :D on February 02, 2014, 03:13:51 PM

You wanna bet?

It seems like you're correct. I went to the ring road on Friday at rush hour, and it was really congested. It's a while since last time I went to the ring of road.

However, bear with me, if we had some more bus only roads then yes your idea would work. But with how cramped Birmingham is, there's little chance of that.

Good news about the bus only road at BHX soon though.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

sonic84

Might something similar to how the 1 operates works, where a couple of services either terminate just outside the city, or enter the city using a different main road to the obvious one

For example, not saying that the 2 or 3 should be re-routed, but a yardley wood road bus could operate via Golden Hillock Road, Victoria Street, Bordesley Green Road, and then enter the city centre using Duddeston Mill Road and Vauxhall Road.  I don't actually think this suggestion would work but is just an example of the kind of thing I meant.

As the 1 shows, there must be demand for passengers living on the east of birmingham wanting to get to the west, so there could be demand for the other way round, or north / south.

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 02, 2014, 06:01:29 PM

You wanna bet?

However, bear with me, if we had some more bus only roads then yes your idea would work. But with how cramped Birmingham is, there's little chance of that.

Any updates on bus only road at BHX?

Liverpool Street

Quote from: :D on April 11, 2014, 08:38:41 PM

You wanna bet?

Still getting built. Should be open when one of two things happen.

1) When the 900 is overnight [which has been mentioned in addition to other routes]

2) When the runway has been finished at BHX and apparently the road will run fairly close to the terminal and runway so might be a good run for you wing nuts out there.
until it cought fire

Rob H

Quote from: Liverpool Street on April 12, 2014, 09:52:13 PM

1) When the 900 is overnight [which has been mentioned in addition to other routes]

Do you mean the 900 may become 24hr? :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

Stu

Quote from: Rob H on April 12, 2014, 09:59:30 PM

Do you mean the 900 may become 24hr? :)

It's been mentioned before as a possibility, yes.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

You wanna bet?

2) When the runway has been finished at BHX and apparently the road will run fairly close to the terminal and runway so might be a good run for you wing nuts out there.
Is that info publicly available? If so, where can I find it and is it coming from official sources?

Liverpool Street

Quote from: :D on April 15, 2014, 06:19:47 PM

You wanna bet?

Is that info publicly available? If so, where can I find it and is it coming from official sources?

It's on a thread here somewhere, but with the way the topics go haywire on here I fail to recall which one.
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk