News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

x74 birmingham to merry hill via west Bromwich and dudley

Started by nxwm4709, January 21, 2014, 07:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: 4006 on January 25, 2014, 01:17:52 PM
Quote from: Kevin on January 25, 2014, 09:07:34 AM
Regarding the idea of an express service along the Soho Road. I just don't get why people think that sort of thing can't be done just because "it doesn't have an expressway"?

I said it at the time, when the Metro wasn't running and there was a replacement limited stop bus service, it managed fine (for those few times I caught it) between Birmingham and West Brom, overtaking other buses in the process just like normal cars do. My personal opinion is that it IS possible. Much in the same way I think it is possible along the Hagley Road.

Granted, it terms of rapid public transport along that corridor the Metro does a sterling job, but it doesn't mean that other such routes can't be done

Most of the one's I was on was overtaking buses because they were late....very late  :o

So I was lucky on getting 4 that were smack on time then?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Quote from: Kevin on January 25, 2014, 05:23:49 PM
Quote from: 4006 on January 25, 2014, 01:17:52 PM
Quote from: Kevin on January 25, 2014, 09:07:34 AM
Regarding the idea of an express service along the Soho Road. I just don't get why people think that sort of thing can't be done just because "it doesn't have an expressway"?

I said it at the time, when the Metro wasn't running and there was a replacement limited stop bus service, it managed fine (for those few times I caught it) between Birmingham and West Brom, overtaking other buses in the process just like normal cars do. My personal opinion is that it IS possible. Much in the same way I think it is possible along the Hagley Road.

Granted, it terms of rapid public transport along that corridor the Metro does a sterling job, but it doesn't mean that other such routes can't be done

Most of the one's I was on was overtaking buses because they were late....very late  :o

So I was lucky on getting 4 that were smack on time then?

Maybe but to quote you "(for those few times I caught it)" so obviously you would not understand the inconvenience to passengers who caught it regularly, that being catching it regularly late and sometimes not at all, TBH quite poor for a 30min service when expensive Metro travelcard users are used to a more regular, efficient and reliable service?
In fact you must have been extremely lucky only have had to catch it 4 times!!!
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

monkeyjoe

OH25

I know this might get shot down, feel free to  :D

This X74 route could work but not as an express to Merry Hill but only to Dudley
I only think this can work because like 51 and X51 the 74 has a very good frequency and could have one per hour or something that could work

The route would be:
Non-stop from Birmingham to West Bromwich
it could avoid Soho Road traffic by going up Hamstead Road from Hockley then left onto Church Lane, onto Oxhill Road and straight on to Island Road and then the same route to West Bromwich. However, I know there could be traffic by The Hawthorns and that motorway roundabout so that might need looking at.
Then from West Bromwich non-stop to Great Bridge via normal 74 route but instead of using Horseley Heath as there is heavy traffic around there during peak times, it could use New Road, Alexandra Road to Tipton, Owen Street and continue straight on to Tipton Road into Dudley via 311/313 route.

There isn't really a quick link to Dudley if you take into consideration the traffic on the 126 route during busy peak times.

I just gave it try lol

Steve6544

Evrey time I've caught the 74 it's been late so simply wouldn't work

Tony

Quote from: Daniel w on May 07, 2014, 09:20:48 PM

Note one - how do you know a 74 is late?
Note two - Stop lying, because believe it or not except when anything happens like the M5 screws up causing chaos the 74 is a very reliable service which is rarely late

For instance today between 7:50 and 15:30 of 50 consequetive services towards Birmingham not one was over 8 minutes late at any point in its journey and only 2 of 50 were more than the TCs 4 minutes late in Birmingham for their departures - so do not slag the 74 off which runs extremely well!

Lukeee

Quote from: Steve6544 on May 07, 2014, 09:20:48 PM

Try the 75  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk