News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Noteworthy Workings - January 2014

Started by Liverpool Street, December 30, 2013, 07:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Tony on January 26, 2014, 12:32:45 PM
Quote from: andyr on January 26, 2014, 12:12:57 PM
Er Tony, London Underground is recognised as being the dirtiest and most expensive in the world. I have travelled extensively throughout mainland europe on all forms of public transport..There rail, bus and were avaliable underground systems are all generally cleaner and more efficent..Just consider the transport network of Germany..

And throughout Germany you were expected to stand most of the time on their commuter networks, which is what you were originally complaining about.

The London Underground is certainly not considered the dirtiest in the World, perhaps you can find anything to back that up? From what I can find searching on the internet that honour seems to belong to New York.

As for most expensive a Zone 1-5 day ticket on the Paris Metro is 15.65 Euros, considerably more than a Zone 1-5 day ticket in London, and you don't get the equivalent of national Rail services included.

I spent my holiday in Paris last year, their public transport is easy to use, and things like single Metro fares are cheaper than their London equivilent, but apart from that London wins hands down. The Journey out to Disneyland Paris, one of their main tourist routes is in Dirty double deck metro trains about the same quality as a Central Trains condition class 150 filthy inside, with graffitti and etched windows and beggers walking along getting occasionally thrown off by the police.

The buses are all standee with the few seats in them just solid plastic and the Metro is disgustingly dirty in some places

vinh1000

Quote from: Tony on January 26, 2014, 12:43:53 PM
Er Tony, London Underground is recognised as being the dirtiest and most expensive in the world. I have travelled extensively throughout mainland europe on all forms of public transport..There rail, bus and were avaliable underground systems are all generally cleaner and more efficent..Just consider the transport network of Germany..

And throughout Germany you were expected to stand most of the time on their commuter networks, which is what you were originally complaining about.

The London Underground is certainly not considered the dirtiest in the World, perhaps you can find anything to back that up? From what I can find searching on the internet that honour seems to belong to New York.

As for most expensive a Zone 1-5 day ticket on the Paris Metro is 15.65 Euros, considerably more than a Zone 1-5 day ticket in London, and you don't get the equivalent of national Rail services included.

I spent my holiday in Paris last year, their public transport is easy to use, and things like single Metro fares are cheaper than their London equivilent, but apart from that London wins hands down. The Journey out to Disneyland Paris, one of their main tourist routes is in Dirty double deck metro trains about the same quality as a Central Trains condition class 150 filthy inside, with graffitti and etched windows and beggers walking along getting occasionally thrown off by the police.

The buses are all standee with the few seats in them just solid plastic and the Metro is disgustingly dirty in some places
When I went to DisneyLand not long ago the trains were so humid and hot no air con ? it was quite dirty inside and think I paid like 15 euros for a day ticket (easily loseable too since its tiny compared to the London Underground paper ticket)
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

B.C Driver

Quote from: vinh1000 on January 26, 2014, 02:08:44 PM

When I went to DisneyLand not long ago the trains were so humid and hot no air con ? it was quite dirty inside and think I paid like 15 euros for a day ticket (easily loseable too since its tiny compared to the London Underground paper ticket)

Why am I reading about London and Paris underground in the noteworthy workings section? Sorry if I've missed something.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

NXWM Spectra

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on January 26, 2014, 02:11:57 PM
Quote from: vinh1000 on January 26, 2014, 02:08:44 PM

Why am I reading about London and Paris underground in the noteworthy workings section? Sorry if I've missed something.

Is there a 'Like' button here somewhere?

JoNi

The New York subway has been transformed from 20 years ago with investment in new trains and upgrading stations. I bought an excellent subway and bus ticket currently priced $30 allowing access to 24 hour services on all bus and train services across the citys boroughs, no premium fare for entering the central zone. The days of graffiti and scratchitti are long gone. There's more scratchitti on NX buses these days.

Stu

Getting back to topic... (maybe the 'off-topic' replies comparing underground systems and their cleanliness could be split off and merged into a new topic for further discussion?  ::))

4654 on the 37 today, spotted earlier in Acocks Green. Unusual to have any double-decks out on this service on a Sunday.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Matt.N0056

Quote from: Stu on January 26, 2014, 03:41:46 PM
Getting back to topic... (maybe the 'off-topic' replies comparing underground systems and their cleanliness could be split off and merged into a new topic for further discussion?  ::))

4654 on the 37 today, spotted earlier in Acocks Green. Unusual to have any double-decks out on this service on a Sunday.

I saw quite a few Geminis on the 37 today!

James4368

Quote from: Matt.N0056 on January 26, 2014, 04:19:34 PM

geminis do sometimes appear on the AG 37 this is usual as the main allocation is the 37 branded omnilinks but sometimes 1 or 2 geminis do appear on 37
Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

nitromatt1

Quote from: nxwmbusfan1999 on January 26, 2014, 04:32:53 PM
Getting back to topic... (maybe the 'off-topic' replies comparing underground systems and their cleanliness could be split off and merged into a new topic for further discussion?  ::) )

geminis do sometimes appear on the AG 37 this is usual as the main allocation is the 37 branded omnilinks but sometimes 1 or 2 geminis do appear on 37

Today is a Sunday. As Stu said, Geminis are not often used on Sunday 37s.

Stu

There may well have been at least another one, I saw 4654 as I was about to do my shopping in Iceland (rock'n'roll I know!  ::)) as I left Iceland to walk home, I did see another Gemini (much too far away to identify) in the distance on the Shirley Road island heading onto the Warwick Road towards city.
Quote from: nxwmbusfan1999 on January 26, 2014, 04:32:53 PM
Thank you, but I do frequently catch the 37 myself, and yes, during the week, especially at peak times, you can pretty much get anything on it. Even on a Sunday, its not uncommon to see an Eclipse 2 B7RLE on there. But a Gemini on Sunday, I assure you is very unusual!  ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Benji09

2120 11A seen in selly oak at around 13:40

crepello

Hi

Yes 2120 was out this Sunday morning at 1130 on the 11 when I travelled on it from cotteridge.

Earlier in the week 808 was out on an evening 47 service as was 2131 on the same evening when both seen around Cotteridge................rare in my book

Ashley

WA 1453 - 7 - Walsall Bus Station - 1135 - 27/1

James4368

2124 on 957 to Birmingham at wheatsheif 0830
Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

Rob H

Quote from: nxwmbusfan1999 on January 27, 2014, 03:43:36 PM
2124 on 957 to Birmingham at wheatsheif 0830

2138 is also on the 957 today seen heading towards Birmingham about 10:45 by Gilbertstone Avenue while aboard 4444 on the 60 towards Sheldon :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk