News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

CCTV on NX Buses

Started by Stu, December 09, 2013, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Are there different types of CCTV systems installed on NX buses, and do they all function correctly?

Most of the Geminis and Tridents have screens that don't display anything, but it is assumed that CCTV systems are still functioning and recording, and I believe this is correct, judging from the number of (admittedly grainy) CCTV images that have been issued by Safer Travel and West Midlands Police on buses/routes that would appear to be operated by older buses with non-functioning screens.

Which is great, in some kind of perverted way I suppose (!), as some scumbags who think because nothing appears on the CCTV screens, that they can get away with whatever they feel is appropriate behaviour because they think the CCTV cameras are not working!

My question though is more for the 'newer' buses, namely the Omnilinks, Eclipse 2s and Enviro400s, which appear to use the Windows-based PC-DVR recording solution... the number of times I've seen the screens either showing the dreaded Windows 'Blue Screen Of Death', various Windows error messages indicating hardware failure, or just constantly rebooting; in these circumstances, is anything actually being recorded by CCTV that can be retrieved if required?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on December 09, 2013, 08:24:38 PM
Are there different types of CCTV systems installed on NX buses, and do they all function correctly?

Most of the Geminis and Tridents have screens that don't display anything, but it is assumed that CCTV systems are still functioning and recording, and I believe this is correct, judging from the number of (admittedly grainy) CCTV images that have been issued by Safer Travel and West Midlands Police on buses/routes that would appear to be operated by older buses with non-functioning screens.

Which is great, in some kind of perverted way I suppose (!), as some scumbags who think because nothing appears on the CCTV screens, that they can get away with whatever they feel is appropriate behaviour because they think the CCTV cameras are not working!

My question though is more for the 'newer' buses, namely the Omnilinks, Eclipse 2s and Enviro400s, which appear to use the Windows-based PC-DVR recording solution... the number of times I've seen the screens either showing the dreaded Windows 'Blue Screen Of Death', various Windows error messages indicating hardware failure, or just constantly rebooting; in these circumstances, is anything actually being recorded by CCTV that can be retrieved if required?

Yes the CCTV will normally still be recording. Well over 90% of the fleet have working CCTV and many vehicles are now being upgraded including all the 44xx 97 branded vehicles and all Omnilinks at BY amongst others. I put in a CCTV request for an incident on a YW President a couple of weeks ago and the stills were far better quality than even I expected

Stu

Thanks Tony.

Could you confirm if the CCTV on the Omnilinks etc with the PC-DVR system is still recording, even if the Windows system on the bus itself has crashed or failed?

I only ask, not out of any desire to share the fact that CCTV won't work if the PC onboard the bus has failed, but more so to reassure people that it is still working otherwise. (And if the CCTV is not recording due to a PC hardware failure on the bus, then I feel it is my duty to inform NX so they can attend to it at the earliest opportunity!)
My locals:

Tony

Quote from: Stu on December 09, 2013, 08:49:37 PM
Thanks Tony.

Could you confirm if the CCTV on the Omnilinks etc with the PC-DVR system is still recording, even if the Windows system on the bus itself has crashed or failed?

I only ask, not out of any desire to share the fact that CCTV won't work if the PC onboard the bus has failed, but more so to reassure people that it is still working otherwise. (And if the CCTV is not recording due to a PC hardware failure on the bus, then I feel it is my duty to inform NX so they can attend to it at the earliest opportunity!)

It should still be recording. What it may always be worth doing is just saying to the driver 'Did you know you CCTV monitors are not working?' (s)he should then put it on the VCR for the garage to check it out

Liverpool Street

Yes it should still be recording as if you notice the screen in the cab still has images on there.

The DVR software is just to show the images on screen; the actual footage is saved direct to SSD.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

CL

Didn't someone mention something about 4368 having the best software, as it HAS been the most upgraded in the Trident fleet, certainly at BC...
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

mranon

one thing id like to know, especially on the newer wrights vehicles i.e eclipse 2's, is why do some show the time on little screen in cab, and some show the images? if the screen is off in the drivers cab, is cctv still working?

Stu

Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 09, 2013, 09:00:45 PM
Yes it should still be recording as if you notice the screen in the cab still has images on there.

The DVR software is just to show the images on screen; the actual footage is saved direct to SSD.
Quote from: Tony on December 09, 2013, 08:55:48 PM
Quote from: Stu on December 09, 2013, 08:49:37 PM
Thanks Tony.

It should still be recording. What it may always be worth doing is just saying to the driver 'Did you know you CCTV monitors are not working?' (s)he should then put it on the VCR for the garage to check it out

Thanks for the clarification guys!  :D
My locals:

John

Quote from: clayderman on December 09, 2013, 10:50:20 PM
Didn't someone mention something about 4368 having the best software, as it HAS been the most upgraded in the Trident fleet, certainly at BC...

Yes, Tony mentioned some of the extra technology to try and catch vandals and record evidence to prosecute them. I can not remember what exactly was said, better CCTV and interior lighting I think was some

An article about the bus is here as well
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/west-midlands-police-first-uk-6274732

Liverpool Street

Quote from: John on December 10, 2013, 04:25:12 PM
Quote from: clayderman on December 09, 2013, 10:50:20 PM

Yes, Tony mentioned some of the extra technology to try and catch vandals and record evidence to prosecute them. I can not remember what exactly was said, better CCTV and interior lighting I think was some

An article about the bus is here as well
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/west-midlands-police-first-uk-6274732

Yes the windows have microphones in them, HD CCTV, ANPR technology in the front camera, police can view the CCTV wirelessly using an unmarked vehicle behind.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

vinh1000

Just been on 4917 and the CCTV is so clear HD :-)

Christopher

CCTV is now on the b7rles isn't it ?😉
long live x96 branding

Nathan4775

Quote from: Christopher on February 16, 2014, 09:55:40 AM
CCTV is now on the b7rles isn't it ?😉

I believe CCTV has always been on the b7rles ? has it not ?
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Tony

In answer to both the above two statements, It is on virtually all buses currently in the fleet and all new buses and many older ones it is HD. Just because the screeens aren't fitted or doesn't work does not mean CCTV or even HD CCTV isn't fitted. The B7RLEs have always been fitted

Christopher

Tony is it on the e200s apart from in the drivers cab ?
long live x96 branding

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk