News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

2014 Fare Structure

Started by 4Q, December 02, 2013, 03:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Kevin on December 02, 2013, 07:51:03 PM
Well I have to say sometimes I have my doubts when people use a smart card and I see the screen flashing red, they just walk on anyway... There is no real way to stop people abusing the fares system short of police on every bus or mass culling of the scum

Haha, that would be good. But at least with the OAP/Dis you can enter it manually and the company still gets its 80p

Quote from: Tony on December 02, 2013, 07:54:55 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 02, 2013, 07:13:15 PM
I expect theres no manual way to input these Swifts? (I'm thinking like a shop barcode entered manually sort of thing)

Correct, there is no way to enter them manually. Yes it is open to the 'Just Walk on brigade' but so is every system. The other thing Swift stops is people putting £3 in 5p in the vault and insisting there is £3.90 there for a daysaver. As long as there is credit on the card the correct amount is taken.

Yes revenue are getting card readers. In London about the only offense Revenue Inspectors issue 'Standard Fares' for is not scanning your Oyster on the way onto the bus if it does have credit on (And then only for the first time caught). All other fiddles like scanning an empty card or any deliberate fraudulent use are immediately reported for private prosecution by TfL

I think it'll be more secure then some other 'systems' (cough cough scratchcards...)
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

PM

Wonder whether diamond will be keeping the £2.50 day return but I imagine the rest of their fares will match NXWM.

Stu

Well yes, like I said, SWIFT would be good to stop the 'Oh I put in £1.50, isn't that how much it is?' brigade, as well as the 'here's £3.00, give me a Daysaver and let me off the rest' types, as when you tap your card the correct amount would be charged.

It's quite sad that as an honest traveller, I'm sitting here listing ways that SWIFT can be abused by those who think they're entitled to travel for free (when they're not of course) on our buses, or think that it's okay to make a 'token donation'.

Maybe a way could be found for a speaker to be installed, so if someone tries touching an invalid SWIFT card an announcement come out stating 'FARE DODGER ON BOARD', don't know if that would be enough to shame anyone though.  :(
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

vinh1000

Quote from: Tony on December 02, 2013, 07:54:55 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 02, 2013, 07:13:15 PM
I expect theres no manual way to input these Swifts? (I'm thinking like a shop barcode entered manually sort of thing)

Correct, there is no way to enter them manually. Yes it is open to the 'Just Walk on brigade' but so is every system. The other thing Swift stops is people putting £3 in 5p in the vault and insisting there is £3.90 there for a daysaver. As long as there is credit on the card the correct amount is taken.

Yes revenue are getting card readers. In London about the only offense Revenue Inspectors issue 'Standard Fares' for is not scanning your Oyster on the way onto the bus if it does have credit on (And then only for the first time caught). All other fiddles like scanning an empty card or any deliberate fraudulent use are immediately reported for private prosecution by TfL
Will it be similar to the London Midland 'the key' readers where you scan it and it tells you what product it on it (in this case how much is on Swift and where it was last used)?
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Kevin

Quote from: Stu on December 02, 2013, 08:09:29 PM
Maybe a way could be found for a speaker to be installed, so if someone tries touching an invalid SWIFT card an announcement come out stating 'FARE DODGER ON BOARD', don't know if that would be enough to shame anyone though.  :(

You jest but I honestly reckon that could work
But then going on the way some of the scum behave when challenged they'd probably start on the driver anyway
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Kevin on December 02, 2013, 09:31:19 PM

But then going on the way some of the scum behave when challenged they'd probably start on the driver anyway

Something less abrupt, and I think it could work also.

"Swift Card Invalid. Please Pay In Cash" possibly..

Or even just "Beep* Beep* Beep*.. Invalid!"
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Ossie

As a matter of interest - I've never had an Oystercard or similar - how can you (the passenger) tell when the darn thing has run out of credit?  ???

Kevin

Quote from: Ossie on December 02, 2013, 11:08:10 PM
As a matter of interest - I've never had an Oystercard or similar - how can you (the passenger) tell when the darn thing has run out of credit?  ???

- You can check at top-up machines
- I think the check-in machines tell you if you're running low
- I think there is an option to have it automatically top up by direct debit

I don't go to London that often but did get an oyster card with 20 quid on it, I have no idea how much is left but know how to check whenever I go next
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

Quote from: Ossie on December 02, 2013, 11:08:10 PM

The Oyster touch-in readers have a display, when you touch in it shows on the display the balance remaining on your card.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

vinh1000

Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 02, 2013, 09:50:30 PM
Quote from: Kevin on December 02, 2013, 09:31:19 PM
I had a problem with my swift where it went red 3 times sufficient credit and cause of swift t and c the journey was free :-) but I also suspect some people may abuse the negative balance feature and never pay it back

Something less abrupt, and I think it could work also.

"Swift Card Invalid. Please Pay In Cash" possibly..

Or even just "Beep* Beep* Beep*.. Invalid!"
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Kevin_Brum12

Of note:

1.   Sticker spotted on Johnsons Coaches bus on the X20 this morning advising of a "Fares Revision with effect from Monday 6th January 2014".

2.   Posters appearing on NXWM buses advertising the discounted Daysaver scratchcard tickets available in packs of five from the travelshops, but in the small print on the poster advising they will only be sold at the current price til the 31st December 2013.

Are we due a NXWM fares rise?  Is the company waiting until just before Christmas to sneak out the details once again?  ::)

Trident 4609

I have noticed that have started removing the £3.90 daysaver advertising from B7RLE's and Omnilinks presumably down do fare increases in January

nitromatt1

Quote from: Trident 4609 on December 09, 2013, 09:48:40 PM
I have noticed that have started removing the £3.90 daysaver advertising from B7RLE's and Omnilinks presumably down do fare increases in January

I just saw a B7RLE from my window going past on the 241 without the £3.90 ad.

Trident 4609

Quote from: nitromatt1 on December 09, 2013, 09:54:05 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on December 09, 2013, 09:48:40 PM

I just saw a B7RLE from my window going past on the 241 without the £3.90 ad.

Well most B7RLE's at WN have had them removed but I have seen some B7RLE's at PN with it removed too

Liverpool Street

BC fare tables on the cab doors are being withdrawn. Or it might've been a one off? 4324.
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk