News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Any chance of "ibus" being rolled out to more NXWM buses?

Started by :D, November 26, 2013, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike K

Quote from: trident4370 on November 27, 2013, 09:49:43 PM
Anyone who thinks Phil Uptons voice is a good choice wants a bloody hearing test, it drove me mad on the 56A to the extend I'd start changing in Kingstanding for a 934/33...

You become immune to it after a while, or I certainly have. I don't really notice or pay too much attention to it on the 22/23 anymore.

Sh4318

Quote from: :D on November 26, 2013, 10:58:22 PM
I don't know the official name for Birmingham's iBus system.

I rarely travel to the west of Birmingham but I've been the bus once and I found it really useful. I was wondering why it hasn't rolled out across the NXWM network?

Also, what happens if the hybrid buses is used on other routes other than 22/23? Does ibus system get turned off or does it work because it has other routes programmed in?

Completely unrelated question, is it me or does the bus drivers actually drive faster in evenings rather than daytime?

I think they should have iBus on the 24. Hybrids are used daily on that route
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Trident 4609

Well if i apply that to the 24 then the same should happen at WN for the 59 as 5510-14 are usually allocated to the 59 and B5's are on there every day

Mike K

Quote from: Sh4166 on November 28, 2013, 10:26:52 AM
Quote from: :D on November 26, 2013, 10:58:22 PM
I don't know the official name for Birmingham's iBus system.

I rarely travel to the west of Birmingham but I've been the bus once and I found it really useful. I was wondering why it hasn't rolled out across the NXWM network?

Also, what happens if the hybrid buses is used on other routes other than 22/23? Does ibus system get turned off or does it work because it has other routes programmed in?

Completely unrelated question, is it me or does the bus drivers actually drive faster in evenings rather than daytime?

I think they should have iBus on the 24. Hybrids are used daily on that route

And it also shares a significant section of the route in common with the 22/23 so you'd imagine it wouldn't be such a problem to implement.

trident4370

Quote from: Mike K on November 28, 2013, 08:56:42 AM
Anyone who thinks Phil Uptons voice is a good choice wants a bloody hearing test, it drove me mad on the 56A to the extend I'd start changing in Kingstanding for a 934/33...

You become immune to it after a while, or I certainly have. I don't really notice or pay too much attention to it on the 22/23 anymore.

Didn't happen with me sadly, it just slowly drove me round the twist, at the very end it was the 63A/train to the rescue! Ironically the Julie Berry announcements on the Class 172s don't bother me in the slightest.

Sh4318

Quote from: trident4370 on November 28, 2013, 12:01:03 PM
Quote from: Mike K on November 28, 2013, 08:56:42 AM

Didn't happen with me sadly, it just slowly drove me round the twist, at the very end it was the 63A/train to the rescue! Ironically the Julie Berry announcements on the Class 172s don't bother me in the slightest.

Agreed, I have to hear them everyday, after a while, you just get used to them... And remember them off by heart :P

trident4370

I'll be honest they never bothered me from new on there, used to use them daily back when I lived in Yardley Wood!
When I visit london I find the ibus a bit repetitive more than anything, but the recordings themselves aren't too bad. It's just the ones we have here that are plain awful, even on the 1 (the woman with the black country accent) I find that one just as grating as Phil Crapton. Shame we can't get rid of the system altogether or have a PROPER announcer like Julie Berry! Right I'll shutup now :P 

Ex BC driver

I saw a notice at BC sometime last year, it was asking if an employee could be the voice of the company

Sh4318

Quote from: trident4370 on November 28, 2013, 03:22:35 PM
I'll be honest they never bothered me from new on there, used to use them daily back when I lived in Yardley Wood!
When I visit london I find the ibus a bit repetitive more than anything, but the recordings themselves aren't too bad. It's just the ones we have here that are plain awful, even on the 1 (the woman with the black country accent) I find that one just as grating as Phil Crapton. Shame we can't get rid of the system altogether or have a PROPER announcer like Julie Berry! Right I'll shutup now :P

It almost feels weird if you're on a 172 and you don't hear Julie Berry :P. The Class 350 announcements are just annoying, especially when approaching a principal station, I'll have to put up with it soon when the 350s are predominantly used on Wolverhampton - Walsall:
'we are now approaching Birmingham New Street, our final destination, change here for connecting Virgin (forgetting Arriva) and CrossCountry services, please remember to take all of your luggage with you, and please note that the lifts on every platform are designated on the B end of every platform'... And that's before you've even gone into the tunnel :P

trident4370

Quote from: Sh4166 on November 28, 2013, 06:44:00 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on November 28, 2013, 03:22:35 PM

It almost feels weird if you're on a 172 and you don't hear Julie Berry :P. The Class 350 announcements are just annoying, especially when approaching a principal station, I'll have to put up with it soon when the 350s are predominantly used on Wolverhampton - Walsall:
'we are now approaching Birmingham New Street, our final destination, change here for connecting Virgin (forgetting Arriva) and CrossCountry services, please remember to take all of your luggage with you, and please note that the lifts on every platform are designated on the B end of every platform'... And that's before you've even gone into the tunnel :P

Yeah Ill admit the 350 ones arent great but I think the speaker quality is a lot to blame there aswell as a crap system generally!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk