News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Midland

Started by Nathan4775, May 06, 2012, 07:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Grove

Quote from: NathanJC on May 06, 2012, 08:35:39 PM
Probally as Walsall or Wolverhampton Route as thats the only place they operate now and the X56 into Birmingham

What about Cannock, Lichfield, Sandwell area, Stourbridge, Merry Hill and Selly Oak?

Undecided where to put the Scanias yet - altered 35/991 and 62 are strong possibilities.

Jack Grove

Quote from: Zach Jordan on May 08, 2012, 11:27:42 PM
The Excels all originated with Choice Travel for the 171 service. I cannot remember if they had them new or second hand though...

There was:

41-4 (R741-4 BUJ), of which R743 still exists just about (slowly being stripped of useful bits).
52/3 (S2/3 CLA), of which S2 is in service as 6002.
54 (R987 EWU), which still exists somewhere, but not with us.

Of those, 41-4 were new to Choice, 52/3 were ex-Classic, Annfield Plain and 54 was, as stated, ex-Capital, West Drayton.

mranon

R742BUJ has been "recycled" i remember r987ewu on ebay with a knackered gearbox, with a donor bus available. i saw s2cla today on 10's. wasnt r743buj the excel that was refurbed inside and out when it came back from stoke? what happened with s3cla, and r741/4buj?
also, is the ex hartlands dart t102kgp i think, going to enter service?

i know the r741-44 buj excels were new for 171, but s2/3 cla was bought for 510

Jack Grove

Alpha Bus, Devon acquired R987 EWU but haven't used it I don't think.

R743 BUJ (6743) was the fully refurbished example, but later suffered engine failure.

No idea about S3 CLA or R741 BUJ, but R744 BUJ was sold for scrap.

The ex-Heartlands Dart is T109 KGP - unlikely to come into use due to age and work required.

mranon

thanks jack. it seems a bit daft going to the expense of refurbing 6743 then parking it up due to a blown engine. after all im sure they use similar engines to a dart. shame about the ex heartlands dart, as it looks more modern with its facelifted front.

Jack Grove

They are similar, but when you look at the book value of an Excel, it just isn't worth it. Plus the seats can be swapped about and it serves as a useful source of bits.

mranon

that was my point regarding the refurb etc. ive heard of dealers who cant shift excels breaking them for spares, in particular the engine to ressurect darts which are worth more in value and demand. i was suprised that the excels came back to use from d&g in the first place. problem now is, like u say, excels worth nowt. its interesting that operators like blackpool transport are re-engineering theirs etc. i wonder if that has improved them. when i was at choice years ago, r987ewu was the least popular one.

Jack Grove

Fundamentally, they aren't bad buses. Won't last long though, DDA looms...

TinnedPeaches

Spotted the back of an Excel a couple of days ago thundering down the Compton Road. This one didn't seem to be listing, unlike the other one I saw. Seeing the East Lancs double deckers more and more on the 10 during the day now though. They look very smart.

Jack Grove

We only have one Excel in use - 6002 (S2 CLA). This had an issue not long ago with airbags, but it was swapped and repaired.

If both Tridents are on the road, there is one (usually 8651 as this has been refurbished) on the 10 Monday to Friday, and both on a Saturday. The other operates the 756 schools and 19 in between, Monday to Friday.

When is it going into service?

Quote from: NathanJC on May 06, 2012, 07:31:39 PM
Has any1 else saw the new buses midland has aquired, what do you all think

http://wmbusphotos.com/Midland/YN04GMV.html

Jack Grove

Don't know, we haven't even picked them up yet!

Nathan4775

Personally they should work X56, but saying that its never used of a morning nor peak journeys. But would be nice to see another sort of bus on there other than Solo's
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

PM

You do realise that Midland do not operate the X56 or is there another one to the diamond one??

John

Quote from: Peter123 on May 12, 2012, 06:06:36 PM
You do realise that Midland do not operate the X56 or is there another one to the diamond one??

The x56 is one journey in the PM peak ran by Midland, to Boney Hay from Birmingham. I don't know if there is a morning one in the other direction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk