News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Emptying the air tank to move steering column

Started by Liberator9, November 07, 2013, 09:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liberator9

Caught my usual 76E this morning with 4375 doing the duty. The bus pulled up at Solihull Station and then the driver preceded to depress and release the brake pedal in order to empty the air tanks to move the steering column. The 6 driver in front then came back to chat and then helped out by repeatedly opening and closing the doors. The tank took an age to empty and even then the column was barely moving and sticking in a fairly poor position for our driver. Driver was a cheerful chap and was joking about the fact that he wished he had the Scania in front! Couldn't blame him considering the Trident's steering column was sticking and the heating non existant. The driver then had to refill the tank by flooring the engine in neutral. In comparison I was on a Scania on the 6 earlier this week when we had a change of driver. Soon as the driver had got in there was a hissing of air and the column was then able to be adjusted. There didn't seem to be any of this effort to release the air out of the tanks.

Is there a switch on the Scanias in order to release the air in order to move the column or was I just mistaken?

Any engineer or driver's answers would be much appreciated.

Liverpool Street

Yes. Drivers drain the air tanks to release the air bubble which prevents the wheel moving. The Scanias have just a release switch on the column and rarely gets an air block (Thiers are on a different system)
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Liberator9

That would certainly explain the ease of the Scania and the wish for driving it! Thanks for the prompt reply; where is the switch by the way?

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Liberator9 link=topic=2in a normal post.
300.msg69230#msg69230 date=1383860071

That
REMOVE TOPIC
LOCK TOPIC
SET TOPIC STICKY
MERGE TOPICS
LINK TO CALENDAR
Jump to:  
  Quick Reply
With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

rtainly explain the ease of the Scania and the wish for driving it! Thanks for the prompt reply; where is the switch by the way?

Left hand side from the ones I've driven, below and towards you from the indicator stalk. It has 2 padlocks on the switch, one open one closed.

The right hand side of the column has the fake ignition key which is welded into the barrel.
Quote from: Liberator9 link=topic=2in a normal post.
300.msg69230#msg69230 date=1383860071

That would certainly explain the ease of the Scania and the wish for driving it! Thanks for the prompt reply; where is the switch by the way?

Left hand side from the ones I've driven, below and towards you from the indicator stalk. It has 2 padlocks on the switch, one open one closed.

The right hand side of the column has the fake ignition key which is welded into the barrel.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

lynx1103

I think having to drain the Air Tanks on the tridents is the
Age of the bus.i don't remember having to do release all the air when they were fairley
New. I haven't encountered a problem with the enviro which is the same
Bodywork Alexander Dennis. Thease problems probably come with
Ageing vechiles.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: lynx1103 on November 07, 2013, 09:52:10 PM
I think having to drain the Air Tanks on the tridents is the
Age of the bus.i don't remember having to do release all the air when they were fairley
New. I haven't encountered a problem with the enviro which is the same
Bodywork Alexander Dennis. Thease problems probably come with
Ageing vechiles.

I had issues when they were new. But then we were only used to the Metros so driving in one position was second nature.
until it cought fire

Mike K

Is draining one's air tanks to move one's steering column some sort of euphemism?

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on November 07, 2013, 10:20:24 PM
Is draining one's air tanks to move one's steering column some sort of euphemism?

Only of a Thursday, Mike haha
until it cought fire

A few of the Trident steering wheels only lock into position when in gear! When at the lights with handbrake applied you can move the wheel free as a bird!
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: 4006 on November 08, 2013, 01:16:56 AM
A few of the Trident steering wheels only lock into position when in gear! When at the lights with handbrake applied you can move the wheel free as a bird!

It'll lock as soon as you release the handbrake, unless its faulty, of course.
until it cought fire

Tony

Nothing to do with being in gear. The bus will still be in gear at traffic lights anyway. If the driver has got his foot on the button, or the button is stuck, then yes it will move when the handbrake is applied.

j_rp_wright

As Tony said the button is stuck. I've had this problem on park lane tridents when I worked there. Best this to do is pull the button up by hand so the wheel locks.

Tony

Quote from: j_rp_wright on November 08, 2013, 07:46:31 PM

As Tony said the button is stuck. I've had this problem on park lane tridents when I worked there. Best this to do is pull the button up by hand so the wheel locks.

A good sideways kick is another cure!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on November 08, 2013, 07:51:21 PM
Quote from: j_rp_wright on November 08, 2013, 07:46:31 PM

A good sideways kick is another cure!

I also found you could wedge the sole of your shoe in the lip of the button, and you'll hear the air lock apply. The early 43's from what I recall had the worst issues.
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk