News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Clean air

Started by windy miller, May 06, 2012, 06:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

One thing I have learnt to appreciate in recent years is clean air on buses! In my youth I would often be chasing a West Brom Transport (pale blue/yellow) service on a frosty morning to get to work.Climbing the stairs only to be confronted with a Bonfire of fags/smoke .The lower deck was non smoking but you could never get a seat.anyone had similar experiences? or should I say- Ring any bells :)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Nathan4775

Quote from: windy miller on May 06, 2012, 06:22:00 PM
One thing I have learnt to appreciate in recent years is clean air on buses! In my youth I would often be chasing a West Brom Transport (pale blue/yellow) service on a frosty morning to get to work.Climbing the stairs only to be confronted with a Bonfire of fags/smoke .The lower deck was non smoking but you could never get a seat.anyone had similar experiences? or should I say- Ring any bells :)

You still get fag smoke on the buses now  8) ;D
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Roy

Quote from: NathanJC on May 07, 2012, 11:35:36 AM
You still get fag smoke on the buses now

Probably true on a very small minority of buses. 

However, I can remember travelling to work on a 50 from Moseley, 74 from Snow Hill and 261 from Dudley.  The 74 departed from Snow Hill at 7.08 am and was a major bus to factories in West Bromwich and Tipton.  The upstairs was almost full throughout the journey and nearly everybody (myself included in those days) smoked.  The result was that on cold, wet days when every window was closed, the top deck of the Daimler Fleetline was so smoky that people emerged from the fog as they walked down the bus.

Looking back, it's a good thing that those days have gone.

andy

Or even worse the back of a National...do you remember the glass screens either side of the step up into the rear compartment? Like they ere ever going to stop the smoke coming forward! You just used to end up with a vile smog floating around over your head if you were sat up front!

windy miller

the Nationals-what a ridiculous design that was! if I remember correctly apart from the smoke problem the back seats were always warm as toast as the engine insulation was rubbish? of course if you were a smoker on a winters day you couldn't get there fast enough
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

andy

Yes windy the back seat on a National was awful for this, great in the winter but unbearable in the summer! Worse for this were Leyland Olympians. The engine insulation was so poor on those that anyone silly enough to sit on the back seat in the saloon would get up with their backside or sleeves covered in soot! They were impossible to keep clean if they had moquette rather than pvc covers...

Discodave

[/quote]
You still get fag smoke on the buses now  8) ;D
[/quote]

Dont you mean hash smoke (ex 51 driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk