News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bournville - Birmingham?

Started by lgr, May 06, 2012, 03:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan4775

My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Stu

"Peak Vehicle Requirement" - basically the most number of vehicles needed to run a route.

Of course, the suggestion of the 84 is just that at the moment, a suggestion. I'm sure the other little details could be worked out by the guys that make the decisions.  ;)

However, if the 636 were to be curtailed, and transferred away from BC (maybe back to WB?), then the 84 could transfer to BC, and BC could swap their B6LEs for... um, well, some other buses from elsewhere?  ;D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Nathan4775

Quote from: Stu on May 07, 2012, 08:23:53 PM
"Peak Vehicle Requirement" - basically the most number of vehicles needed to run a route.

Of course, the suggestion of the 84 is just that at the moment, a suggestion. I'm sure the other little details could be worked out by the guys that make the decisions.  ;)

However, if the 636 were to be curtailed, and transferred away from BC (maybe back to WB?), then the 84 could transfer to BC, and BC could swap their B6LEs for... um, well, some other buses from elsewhere?  ;D

It would be better if it went to BY/BC becuase then
BY - Can use ominilinks
BC - Ominilinks, BR7LE'S ETC
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

lgr

Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2012, 08:12:31 PM
Apart from one thing, where would the buses come from that would be needed for the extra PVR on the 84

Perhaps, and this is just a perhaps because I'm not sure how things break down exactly in terms of numbers... The 27 is normally B10L operated with usually around 2/3 Omnilinks doing the rounds, whereas I rarely ever see a YW B10L anywhere else, so presumably they're back at the garage most of the time? If the 27 became fully B10L operated then those 2/3 Omnilinks that are always knocking around spare could be put on to an extended 84?

Or it could move to BC and someone else could come up with the answer.  :P

winston

Quote from: lgr on May 07, 2012, 08:37:46 PM
Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2012, 08:12:31 PM
Apart from one thing, where would the buses come from that would be needed for the extra PVR on the 84

Perhaps, and this is just a perhaps because I'm not sure how things break down exactly in terms of numbers... The 27 is normally B10L operated with usually around 2/3 Omnilinks doing the rounds, whereas I rarely ever see a YW B10L anywhere else, so presumably they're back at the garage most of the time? If the 27 became fully B10L operated then those 2/3 Omnilinks that are always knocking around spare could be put on to an extended 84?

Or it could move to BC and someone else could come up with the answer.  :P

As BC will soon no longer operate Omnilinks soon, the extended 84 may be better operating out of BY. Additional Omnilinks from the batch 1788-1799 due to be withdrawn from BC could be transferred to BY to operate the route. These are still presently cascading to an unconfirmed location. The remainder of the 636 could they go to PE or WB with the remaining B6 required

MW

Right.

The 636 takes 20 minutes to get to University Station from the City.

The 84 takes 27 minutes to get to Hawkesley from QE.

The Birmingham to Hawkesley journey would therefore be 47 minutes, so all together 94 minutes. We'll round that to 100 to allow any delays etc.

The 84 would now operate at a 60 minute frequency between Birmingham and Hawkesley, so a PVR of 2.

The Birmingham to QE gap now loses 2 buses per hour, thus the 84A. Birmingham to QE at every 20 minutes, with a PVR of 2. To reduce dead mileage, this route can easily interwork with the 76 which also runs at a 20 minute frequency.

In summary:

84 - Birmingham to Hawkesley at every 60 minutes. PVR - 2
84A - Birmingham to QE at every 20 minutes. PVR - 3
636 - QE Hospital to Halesowen at every 20 minutes. PVR - 5 (84 minute round trip)

The 636 now requires 2 vehicles less.

The 636 can now be operated by WB again, who are type trained on B6LE, so the minority vehicle at Central is removed.

Two surplus B6LE and one Trident to Walsall from BC. Three Scania to Yardley Wood, or a mix of Scania and Trident.

Job done.

That could work, and possibly 84A peak journeys could be extended to Hawkesley

Quote from: Michael on May 07, 2012, 09:22:41 PM
Right.

The Birmingham to Hawkesley journey would therefore be 47 minutes, so all together 94 minutes. We'll round that to 100 to allow any delays etc.

The 84 would now operate at a 60 minute frequency between Birmingham and Hawkesley, so a PVR of 2.

The Birmingham to QE gap now loses 2 buses per hour, thus the 84A. Birmingham to QE at every 20 minutes, with a PVR of 2. To reduce dead mileage, this route can easily interwork with the 76 which also runs at a 20 minute frequency.

In summary:

636 - QE Hospital to Halesowen at every 20 minutes. PVR - 5 (84 minute round trip)

The 636 can now be operated by WB again, who are type trained on B6LE, so the minority vehicle at Central is removed.

Two surplus B6LE and one Trident to Walsall from BC. Three Scania to Yardley Wood, or a mix of Scania and Trident.

Job done.

Tony

And which route at Walsall do you intend taking scanias off to replace by B6

MW

Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2012, 09:28:21 PM
And which route at Walsall do you intend taking scanias off to replace by B6

I don't really know much about Walsall but I'm sure something can be spared. Another possibility is that the last one or two B10Ls at AG can replace two Scanias at Walsall, or even Perry Barr.

Tony

Tony

Quote from: 4504 on May 07, 2012, 09:26:05 PM

Right.

In summary:

Job done.
And what do you tell all those folk who live between QE Hospital and Halesowen on the 636 route who lose their direct route to Birmingham City Centre, just so some people in Bournville can have one, when last time one was provided not enough of them used it to make it pay?

MW

Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2012, 09:42:35 PM

Right.

In summary:

Job done.
And what do you tell all those folk who live between QE Hospital and Halesowen on the 636 route who lose their direct route to Birmingham City Centre, just so some people in Bournville can have one, when last time one was provided not enough of them used it to make it pay?

This suggestion was purely to help with the emission problem.

A replacement can be arranged by Centro, can it not?

Tony

Quote from: Michael on May 07, 2012, 09:46:15 PM
Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2012, 09:42:35 PM

Right.

In summary:

Job done.

This suggestion was purely to help with the emission problem.

A replacement can be arranged by Centro, can it not?

But it doesn't help with the emissions, because you still need to bring extra buses into Birmingham garages ( I am sure NXWM already know what they are doing with the 636) and Centro wouldn't provide a replacement service for those people as they would still have the 636, it just wouldn't go to Birmingham. Centro only subsidise service where no services run at all, not if they are going to the wrong place

danny

I like the idea as I had to catch the 35 and 27 to get to the cadburys factory BUT if this service was to ne introduced where would the buses terminate, wouldent a turning circle have to be built like at the end of the 50/101/22/23 ect routes
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

lgr

Quote from: danny on May 07, 2012, 11:11:02 PM
I like the idea as I had to catch the 35 and 27 to get to the cadburys factory BUT if this service was to ne introduced where would the buses terminate, wouldent a turning circle have to be built like at the end of the 50/101/22/23 ect routes

Surely it would just terminate where it does currently at Shannon Road/Driftwood Close in Hawkesley, alongside the 27 and 35?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk