News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Occasional bus services

Started by :D, October 18, 2013, 09:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:D

I was reading about parliamentary train services at here, and then I realised there was occasional bus services such as 59A and 900A on Coventry road. Is there any other examples of this occasional bus services?

Sh4318

There's the 67A, I'm not sure if that still exists though
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

the trainbasher

Really there is no such thing as a Parliamentary Bus Service per se.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Nathan4775

Sh4166 the 67A's withdrawn, someone told me on here it was withdrawn a while back
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Kevin

I never really thought parliamentary bus services would exist but the 59A and 900A do seem to fit the description perfectly.
I remember not too long ago there used to be a Sunday morning only 52A running beyond Perry beeches to the Aldridge road and all the way up it to Pheasey for apparently no reason whatsoever
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

John

Quote from: Kevin on October 19, 2013, 07:09:47 AM
I never really thought parliamentary bus services would exist but the 59A and 900A do seem to fit the description perfectly.
I remember not too long ago there used to be a Sunday morning only 52A running beyond Perry beeches to the Aldridge road and all the way up it to Pheasey for apparently no reason whatsoever

That was when the 997 started late on a Sunday morning. When the 52A was withdrawn (when 952 was introduced), at least 2 extra Sunday morning journeys on the 997 were added

Isle of Stroma

Let's put an end to this now. There is no such thing as a 'parliamentary' bus service solely from a bus company, because the legislation referred to ONLY applies to Railway companies. A bus company has no need to operate a 'parliamentary' service as they don't need to apply for an act of parliament to close a line/station, a bus company merely advises vosa through the normal procedures.

Railway companies can circumnavigate the legislation by use of 'bustitution' (Rail Replacement bus) - an example in recent times was the service between Derby & Sinfin.

Trivia spot. There's a 'parliamentary' station close to the city - Bordesley! (previously, Smethwick Rolfe St West was a 'parliamentary' station for a while once Galton Bridge opened)

<Edited to correct a brain-fade moment!>

Tony

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on October 19, 2013, 11:35:05 AM

Let's put an end to this now. There is no such thing as a 'parliamentary' bus service solely from a bus company, because the legislation referred to ONLY applies to Railway companies. A bus company has no need to operate a 'parliamentary' service as they don't need to apply for an act of parliament to close a line/station, a bus company merely advises vosa through the normal procedures.

Railway companies can circumnavigate the legislation by use of 'bustitution' (Rail Replacement bus) - an example in recent times was the service between Derby & Sinfin.

Trivia spot. There's a 'parliamentary' station close to the city - Bordesley! (previously, Smethwick Rolfe St was a 'parliamentary' station for a while once Galton Bridge opened)

Wrong Smethwick Dave. Rolfe Street is still a normal station, it was Smethwick West that had the Parliamentary stop after Galton Bridge opened, but the official closure of West hadn't gone through

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Tony on October 19, 2013, 11:40:07 AM

Trivia spot. There's a 'parliamentary' station close to the city - Bordesley! (previously, Smethwick Rolfe St was a 'parliamentary' station for a while once Galton Bridge opened)

Wrong Smethwick Dave. Rolfe Street is still a normal station, it was Smethwick West that had the Parliamentary stop after Galton Bridge opened, but the official closure of West hadn't gone through

Yep, you're right Tony. You'd think I'd know that having regularly used both stations years ago! (& having pointed out the remains of Smethwick West to my Daughter just a few months ago too)

Tony

There is still a parliamentary train service within the West Midlands, although no stations on it no-one has mentioned yet.
Walsll-Wolverhampton

Stu

With regards to 'occasional' bus services such as the 900A and the former 67A, these services are provided for the benefit of workers, especially those on early starts.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Westy

Quote from: Tony on October 19, 2013, 12:12:09 PM
There is still a parliamentary train service within the West Midlands, although no stations on it no-one has mentioned yet.
Walsll-Wolverhampton

Surprised that one actually still runs in any form.

Tried to catch that route twice when it ran properly & it was cancelled both times.

No wonder the route failed.

vinh1000

Quote from: Tony on October 19, 2013, 12:12:09 PM
Walsll-Wolverhampton
One time many years ago there was a rerally bad delay leaving wolverhampton so instead the train went down the direct way to walsall (ie skip coseley etc) it went left on the branch as it leaves wolves
delays meant stuck on train for 45 mins lol not moving in the middle of the line

:D

Trivia spot. There's a 'parliamentary' station close to the city - Bordesley! (previously, Smethwick Rolfe St West was a 'parliamentary' station for a while once Galton Bridge opened)

<Edited to correct a brain-fade moment!>
You're correct, I should've meant it as an occasional bus service.

So far, it seems the 900A, 59A and the former 67A are occasional bus services.

Sh4318

The 5A (Birmingham - Solihull) is another example
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk