News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Old routes to be re-instated & Replaced routes to be withdrawn

Started by Nathan4775, May 04, 2012, 05:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

As I've already said above & Danny has now said the same, there are some routes which have been changed which haven't not gone down well passengers and many believe should be re-instated as useful links have been lost, it's not just reminiscing of long withdrawn routes like a certain person on the NXWM Facebook page.

Centro & bus operators don't always get it right, and should be the first to admit when they get in wrong & bow to public pressure. I think the changes made to routes 3, 3A & 31 are commonly raised as not being in the interest of passengers. Although Centro consult the travelling public about upcoming reviews, we don't actually know what proportion of those who use the services actually take part in these consultation processes.

NX Dundee changed a load of routes which were supposed to see improvements & it created uproar. In the finish many have reverted to their original line of route as a result of public complaints / campaigns with local councillors stepping in etc

Quote from: danny on May 05, 2012, 08:06:54 PM
I think the point is that people have lost links ie I've lost my link to brum along the langley green road due to withdrawal of 88 so nxwm ain't some superior being and do get it wrong ie 88 .129

winston

For those wishing to have their say on past route changes / withdrawals, why not fill in the Network West Midlands online questionnaire for the forthcoming Sandwell bus review

http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/sandwell/sandwellweb.htm

Nathan4775

Quote from: Stu on May 05, 2012, 07:15:55 PM
It's all very well having a good old trip down memory lane and remembering all those old bus routes that don't exist anymore, but lets not imagine that routes that were withdrawn for commercial and other reasons will ever be reinstated, just to satisy a handful of peoples' dreams.

For instance, round about 1992-1994 when I was at college at Rowley Regis, I used to enjoy catching the half-empty 88 buses from Dogkennel Lane to Blackheath (albeit with a nice walk up to the college to clear my mind), while the rest of the college students all crammed onto the 128 and 129. That service was useful to me back then, but not now, so I wouldn't want to see it come back.

As I've stated on the NXWM Facebook page previously, network reviews happen for a reason, through public and operator consultation, they're not just done for fun. And I happen to think in the vast majority of cases, things have improved for the better.  For example, where I used to live, the 120 was the most direct route from the city centre to home, but I had the choice of catching the 88, 128 or the 129, with a short walk, if ever I missed the 120. After the routes were changed, the 120 was actually more frequent, but still there was the option of getting the 89 or the 128.

For NXWM, or indeed any other operator, bringing a withdrawn route back would need more justification than 'I miss it'.  ;)

Bus reviews have good and bad points to it really,
Good points are - Frequency Increase, new routes are created etc
Bad points are  - Routes get withdrawn, good frequency get decreased, peopel loose direct services etc
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

I think some parts of it were great, like what they did with the 120, 127 and 128, gives people a higher frequency from Warley/Langley to Birmingham

Quote from: NathanJC on May 06, 2012, 11:32:23 AM
It's all very well having a good old trip down memory lane and remembering all those old bus routes that don't exist anymore, but lets not imagine that routes that were withdrawn for commercial and other reasons will ever be reinstated, just to satisy a handful of peoples' dreams.

For instance, round about 1992-1994 when I was at college at Rowley Regis, I used to enjoy catching the half-empty 88 buses from Dogkennel Lane to Blackheath (albeit with a nice walk up to the college to clear my mind), while the rest of the college students all crammed onto the 128 and 129. That service was useful to me back then, but not now, so I wouldn't want to see it come back.

As I've stated on the NXWM Facebook page previously, network reviews happen for a reason, through public and operator consultation, they're not just done for fun. And I happen to think in the vast majority of cases, things have improved for the better.  For example, where I used to live, the 120 was the most direct route from the city centre to home, but I had the choice of catching the 88, 128 or the 129, with a short walk, if ever I missed the 120. After the routes were changed, the 120 was actually more frequent, but still there was the option of getting the 89 or the 128.

For NXWM, or indeed any other operator, bringing a withdrawn route back would need more justification than 'I miss it'.  ;)

Bad points are  - Routes get withdrawn, good frequency get decreased, peopel loose direct services etc

Nathan4775

Quote from: 4504 on May 06, 2012, 07:09:04 PM
I think some parts of it were great, like what they did with the 120, 127 and 128, gives people a higher frequency from Warley/Langley to Birmingham

Quote from: NathanJC on May 06, 2012, 11:32:23 AM

The reviews they did in Walsall were good aswell as it gave more people buses to Wolverhampton although im not 100% sure if the 69 is used as much as the 89

The North Birmingham review was a success aswell, minor parts of it wasnt other than that it was a success

Most of NXWM/CENTROS bus reviews are a disater to Passangers at times as they are confused on were there bus is going or were it has gone, wether it still serves ?????, but people get used to it and as soon as they get used to  it they change them again

I was in WN when they changed all the buses services and this 1 woman said to her boyfreind "you know they can make travel simpler ?, by leaving the F***king services alone  ::)". They do annoy people, I also remeber travelling on the X62/X64 as part of a review and the bus was completly empty there was me & the drvier on it ;D < not that this has anything do with the topic but
My Flickr;

Tony

Most of NXWM/CENTROS bus reviews are a disater to Passangers at times as they are confused on were there bus is going or were it has gone, wether it still serves ?????, but people get used to it and as soon as they get used to  it they change them again

Passenger numbers have been up after all the the Network reviews!

Nathan4775

Quote from: Tony on May 06, 2012, 08:06:45 PM

A few routes they havent 935 carries the amount of passangers the 993 used to, 935A many people use that as an Extra 935 journey nobody stays on to Rushall, becuase I travelled on it myself
My Flickr;

MW

Quote from: NathanJC on May 06, 2012, 08:38:31 PM

A few routes they havent 935 carries the amount of passangers the 993 used to, 935A many people use that as an Extra 935 journey nobody stays on to Rushall, becuase I travelled on it myself

Even if you're right, I wouldn't test Tony on Walsall routes as they are his specialty.

Nathan4775

Quote from: Michael on May 06, 2012, 08:48:04 PM

Even if you're right, I wouldn't test Tony on Walsall routes as they are his specialty.

i am right, I live close to that route and use it nearly everyday  8)
My Flickr;

Tony

Quote from: NathanJC on May 07, 2012, 11:45:56 AM

OK then Nathan, tell me how many passengers used it per day before the review and how many after. What I know is that after the Network review passenger numbers increased on the network of routes.

By the way even on routes where I do know exact figures of passenger numbers and revenues/profits they will not be posted on here or in any public domain

Nathan4775

Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2012, 12:13:44 PM

OK then Nathan, tell me how many passengers used it per day before the review and how many after. What I know is that after the Network review passenger numbers increased on the network of routes.

By the way even on routes where I do know exact figures of passenger numbers and revenues/profits they will not be posted on here or in any public domain

The same amount of Passangers that used the 993 use the 935 i havent saw no passanger increase really on at peak times
My Flickr;

Tony

Quote from: NathanJC on May 07, 2012, 08:07:22 PM
Quote from: Tony on May 07, 2012, 12:13:44 PM

The same amount of Passangers that used the 993 use the 935 i havent saw no passanger increase really on at peak times

how often did the 993 route run?
How often does the 935 run in the peak?

Nathan4775

993 - Every 20 minutes interworking with the 992
935 - Every 30 minutes
My Flickr;

Tony

John

Quote from: NathanJC on May 07, 2012, 08:20:21 PM
993 - Every 20 minutes interworking with the 992
935 - Every 30 minutes

The 935 is every 15 minutes in PM peaks, runs as an E journey to Kingstanding then goes onto the A to Rushall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk