News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

27th OCT tenders/changes

Started by karl724223, September 17, 2013, 05:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukeee

Quote from: Nathan4775 on October 01, 2013, 07:32:38 PM
Quote from: Tony on October 01, 2013, 06:02:12 PM
Quote from: Nathan4775 on October 01, 2013, 05:02:24 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 01, 2013, 01:56:43 PM
Details of October changes now on Network West Midland website.

noticed a mitake with the 647

Diamond never ran the 647 it was Midland, it also says New operator Central Connect. Central connect dont exist nomore its Blue Diamond  ;D

We can all make mitakes Central Connect does still exist, check what it says on the operators licenses of buses based at Long Acre

I meant logo wise,  other than the branded 97's/37's parked at the back of Long Acre I havent seen any other bus with a CC Logo  :) therefore it should say BD

Pretty sure the Signature Citaros still carry the Connect logo

John

Quote from: Lukeee on October 01, 2013, 10:25:52 PM
Pretty sure the Signature Citaros still carry the Connect logo

One does have a Diamond logo, don't remember which, also another only carries the Central Connect swirl part of the logo. and another carries the fill Central Connect Logo

s94

Interesting to see Arriva launch the 310 between Willenhall and Merry Hill. What will be its route?

John

Quote from: s94 on October 01, 2013, 10:45:10 PM
Interesting to see Arriva launch the 310 between Willenhall and Merry Hill. What will be its route?

327 route from Willenhall to Wednesbury, and 610 route from Wednesbury to Dudley, replacing both of these services. Don't know the route from Dudley to Merry Hill

Westy

Quote from: s94 on October 01, 2013, 10:45:10 PM

Supposed to be the same as the 327 & 610 between Willenhall & Dudley.

Dunno about the Merry Hill bit.

Liverpool Street

Diamond never ran the 647 it was Midland, it also says New operator Central Connect. Central connect dont exist nomore its Blue Diamond  ;D

We can all make mitakes Central Connect does still exist, check what it says on the operators licenses of buses based at Long Acre

Was that a purpose misspelling, Tony?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Tony

Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 02, 2013, 03:12:33 PM

Yes, quoting from the original poster who was complaining about mitakes!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on October 02, 2013, 07:42:12 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 02, 2013, 03:12:33 PM

Yes, quoting from the original poster who was complaining about mitakes!

Yeah, just got it.

Indeed we all make mitakes...

And also these changes I have zero interest in.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

mistertee

Quote from: monkeyjoe on October 01, 2013, 02:14:32 PM
Was in here some time ago, the NX director said. The 71 is being made into a 15min service across the whole route, so will be a consistent improvement on that section. Changes at the Solihull end will mean a 7/8 between Solihull and C Wood. I am sure someone else will dig out the detail for you. There is loads including the 90 bein made into the 70 bla bla bla

The list says Castle Bromwich to Castle Vale, but no change to route - both of which can't be correct. The NX director did mention no change to the route for the remaining 71A's, and I think Castle Bromwich has crept in before in error, so would say the 71A route stays as it is.

Mr Mathieson listed the advantages of the forthcoming changes, but omitted mention of the cutbacks to the service level between Castle Vale and Sutton, which are worse than they first appear due to the unreliability of the 71, and the loss of double-deckers from the route. Only yesterday I passed an empty bus going down Walmley Ash Road, out of service, at 17:30 - no doubt a peak-hour 71 not being run.

He also ducked the question of what is supposed to be being done to improve the reliability of the 71, so we can only guess at this stage. However, the severity and variability of the traffic problems on the route mean that running a regular service to time is nigh-on impossible without excessive dead mileage and/or layover allowances. Added to this, the location of the depot means that getting the service back from disruption often means cutting service at either or both ends.

Because of these things, I think the decision not to retain at least a few 71A's in the afternoon peak is a real stinker. The shorter route has its hold-ups, but at least it doesn't import all the delays that the full 71 does, and the ability to use double-deckers would help when things go astray. Granted, it won't take everybody where they want to go, but it would cater for the majority.

Last time the 71 went to a 15-minute (when on time) frequency, it was quickly deemed unacceptable by the East Birmingham Bus Review. It may be that all the messing about in the last few years has shaken off all but the most determined passengers at the Sutton end, so things might work out OK this time, but I for one wouldn't chance a 71 if I could help it.

Note that, with regard to vehicle numbers, there are reductions on the 72 as well as increases in the 71 and (presumably) 72E.

Kevin

I share your worries there, the only thing I would add is "bring back the 68a/c"
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Ossie

Mistertee has hit the nail on the head.  It's not unknown to see two 71's following each other nose-to-tail at the Sutton end  ;D.

What is now a reasonably on-time 10 minute service between Castle Vale and Sutton (thanks to the 71A) has the potential to become a pretty unreliable 15 minute service.

And the 71's are pretty full, most of the day - not unusual for standing passengers out of Sutton, even during the daytime ...... 

I know you can't please all the people all the time, but it's not a great move by NXWM.  I trust they'll monitor the route after the changes.

Rob H

The flags have been updated between Solihull and Sheldon from what I seen today and they all have 70 on them :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

lynx1103

Another option would be to extend the new 38 (old 638) to Sutton via 71A route to enanble double deck on this service

Would provide the old 68 link Erdington-Fort Shopping park-Castle Vale-Sutton

Kevin

Quote from: lynx1103 on October 18, 2013, 07:10:47 PM
Another option would be to extend the new 38 (old 638) to Sutton via 71A route to enanble double deck on this service

Would provide the old 68 link Erdington-Fort Shopping park-Castle Vale-Sutton

That seems to make too much sense, and so unlikely to happen
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

:D

Is it me or is it WMSNT has been hogging up all tenders lately? Seeing WMSNT is a government owned company, I'd guess it is probably good thing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk