News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Passangers & Drivers

Started by Nathan4775, August 12, 2013, 10:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4609

Quote from: nitromatt1 on August 13, 2013, 11:27:34 AM
Quote from: lynx1103 on August 13, 2013, 11:22:43 AM
Sadley todays society is no-one would dare step in/Speak or challenge when anti social behavior occurrs as can be seen the outcome of this incident on a lothian bus in July.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/man-attacked-on-bus-for-trying-to-stop-unruly-kids-1-3016704

A similar thing happened on the 69 in Wednesfield the other day
[/quote
That was reported to WA garage. I presume the old man told these youths to settle down so they beat him up.

The only way to try to erradicate this type of anti-social behavior however non purposeful it may seam is to report it and keep reporting it. If no-one is told then how will they know about it?. Keep reporting to safer travel you can send an anonymous text, at least they will be made aware and may be able to target specific problem areas. I report everything, even smoking I will report it. We can't do much but if we don't all pull together the situation will get worse.
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

JoNi

It's a pity that the media concentrate on the fact that the assault occurs on public transport (Lothian route 30) when it's the actions of individuals that live in Wester Hailes. This is Edinburgh's version of Chelmsley Wood where the buildings have far less architectural merit :o(honest) and they even have large gates to close the shopping centre (Westside Plaza) off at night. It once had the dubious privilege of having Europe's highest rate of Hepatitis due the level of heroin addiction. 

I recently arrived in Edinburgh via Wester Hailes, makes a change from battling through the tourists in Princes Street.
The bus stops panels were immaculate and  laminated with easy to understand departure information with fares as well.
I boarded the bus knowing how much the day ticket cost. Spoke to a helpful driver through an open door assault screen, bought ticket which had large details on it then sat down in modern bus with bright interior, no scratched windows and negligible vandalism.
There was even a comprehensive information panel on the bus stating standards of behaviour expected rather than somewhere to text observations.

It will certainly provide food for thought the next time I get on a 14 in Chelmsley Wood and look out through a scratched window at the view.

Nathan4775

Quote from: P419 EJW on August 13, 2013, 12:53:43 PM
Quote from: Nathan on August 13, 2013, 11:34:27 AM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on August 13, 2013, 11:27:34 AM
Quote from: lynx1103 on August 13, 2013, 11:22:43 AM
Sadley todays society is no-one would dare step in/Speak or challenge when anti social behavior occurrs as can be seen the outcome of this incident on a lothian bus in July.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/man-attacked-on-bus-for-trying-to-stop-unruly-kids-1-3016704

A similar thing happened on the 69 in Wednesfield the other day

What happended

On the (WA) 69 bus in Wednesfield at 4:15, the two teenager "scumbags" attacked an elderly man. They had others with them. The driver did nothing and they thought it was funny to hit him. They're around 14 years old. The woman who reported this incident said: "The old man was ok, they shook him up as the lad (pictured) grabbed his arms after the old man asked them to be quiet. I was very upset with the driver when he said "I can't do anything love"."

A picture of the two teenagers.

In fairness to the driver, there not supposed to intervene in fights on buses
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

JackC

In response to comments about the driver not intervening - if these scum of the earth are willing to beat up an elderly man for simply asking them to quiet down, then no doubt they'll beat up the driver, or even any other passenger, if they tried to intervene. It's a lose-lose situation. If nobody intervenes, someone gets beat up until the attackers are finished. If someone intervenes then unless they're considerably stronger than the attackers or trained in self defense or something along those lines then even more people get beat up.

And to people talking about these things happening because they're in a certain area, I think it's much more than that. Violence and crime in general isn't just specific to certain areas. At any certain time you could end up having a violent attack in the nicest of areas and having nothing in the roughest place in the country. This is not a problem that lies in certain areas, this is a problem all across the country because too many children from every corner of the land are not being raised properly or are getting in with the wrong crowds or whatever other reason there is and so they think violence is acceptable if someone is "disrespecting" them, no matter what age or gender or in what physical state the person is.

Bususer79

Quote from: JoNi on August 13, 2013, 03:41:53 PM
It's a pity that the media concentrate on the fact that the assault occurs on public transport (Lothian route 30) when it's the actions of individuals that live in Wester Hailes. This is Edinburgh's version of Chelmsley Wood where the buildings have far less architectural merit :o(honest) and they even have large gates to close the shopping centre (Westside Plaza) off at night. It once had the dubious privilege of having Europe's highest rate of Hepatitis due the level of heroin addiction. 

I recently arrived in Edinburgh via Wester Hailes, makes a change from battling through the tourists in Princes Street.
The bus stops panels were immaculate and  laminated with easy to understand departure information with fares as well.
I boarded the bus knowing how much the day ticket cost. Spoke to a helpful driver through an open door assault screen, bought ticket which had large details on it then sat down in modern bus with bright interior, no scratched windows and negligible vandalism.
There was even a comprehensive information panel on the bus stating standards of behaviour expected rather than somewhere to text observations.

It will certainly provide food for thought the next time I get on a 14 in Chelmsley Wood and look out through a scratched window at the view.

After reading this particular post just felt I had to post a reply. Have been a reader of the comments on here for a long time now up until now have had no reason to comment myself.
I agree more should be done to stop unruly passengers. But the comment made about chelmsley wood is completely unrealistic and typically stereotypical. While there are certain people that let down down chelmsley as a resident living there and a working one at that I can say there are plenty more so called worst places in the midlands. Joni definitely needs to get in the real world.

Liverpool Street

Well this is what you get when you voted in Labour and his Marxist PC crew.

You'll really let these little sh!ts hit an old man? Damn chavs.

But then you'll get usual response 'I don't want to get involved' and stuff, hahaha wouldn't do that that in my day.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

JoNi

I have visited deprived areas around the country over many years. Many have since been demolished but Wester Hailes still remains the same. I have never had any problems travelling on buses in many other similar estates. This compares with Birmingham where my bag was forceably stolen while travelling on an NX bus a few years ago and I was recently assaulted after asking someone to stop smoking on a 14 bus in Chelmsley Wood.

These real world experiences led to perceptions formed while travelling on NX buses not only in Chelmsley Wood. As mentioned in the previous post unlike Lothian and other operators NXWM make no attempt confront anti social issues by displaying posters with a clear set of expectations for passengers just a phone number to text.

I apologise for any offence caused to decent Chelmsley residents such as Bususer79.

Bususer79

Not sure if this has already been mentioned in other threads or not but I'm sure you all are more than aware that the 14 terminates in chelmsley wood and goes through much more unsavoury areas but I do not want to go into that as I do not want to tar everyone with the same brush just based on where they live.I doubt very much that the person who got assaulted on the 14 in chelmsley wood was not carried out by a chelmsley wood resident. Was they asked do you come from chelmsley wood I think not. I know I have said before but people are way to quick to judge chelmsley wood. Rant over.

Mike K

To be fair if you are assaulted on a bus in Chelmsley Wood, on a bus that terminates in Chelmsley Wood, there stands a strong chance that the culprit is from Chelmsley Wood. There can't be that many people who commute to Chelmsley Wood for work, or travel there from outside the area for a day at the local shopping centre.

I take your point however that this sort of thing can happen anywhere in the West Midlands.

Bususer79

Quote from: Mike K on August 13, 2013, 11:17:32 PM
To be fair if you are assaulted on a bus in Chelmsley Wood, on a bus that terminates in Chelmsley Wood, there stands a strong chance that the culprit is from Chelmsley Wood. There can't be that many people who commute to Chelmsley Wood for work, or travel there from outside the area for a day at the local shopping centre.

I take your point however that this sort of thing can happen anywhere in the West Midlands.

So mike are you saying then that just because it is chelmsley wood nobody would want to work here or that people don't have to catch connecting buses to airport etc plus the stupid comment about the shopping centre is based on what it used to be like. The local council are striving to regenerate the centre from what it used to be. It will take a while but they are getting there slowly. It is comments that you and Joni make that do no favours. And before anyone says yes I am aware there may be characters that shall we say you would not want to travel with but lets just be realistic you will get that anywhere your postcode won't change that.

Mike K

No, and my assertion is no more daft than a denial that the person is unlikely to be from Chelmsley Wood. It's fair to say a large proportion of people on a bus terminating in a large, primarily residential suburb live in that suburb. Sure, some will travel there to transfer to another bus to get to their job at the Airport for example, but those are unlikely to be the sort of people who assault you.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not having a dig at Chelmsley Wood so please don't be so sensitive.

Bususer79

Quote from: Mike K on August 14, 2013, 11:15:29 AM
No, and my assertion is no more daft than a denial that the person is unlikely to be from Chelmsley Wood. It's fair to say a large proportion of people on a bus terminating in a large, primarily residential suburb live in that suburb. Sure, some will travel there to transfer to another bus to get to their job at the Airport for example, but those are unlikely to be the sort of people who assault you.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not having a dig at Chelmsley Wood so please don't be so sensitive.

I will take on board what you say mike but first I have a couple of questions for you.
Firstly
When did I try to deny that said offender is unlikely to come from chelmsley wood what I said was that unless you ask then you can't just judge where they come from.
Secondly
So they work at the airport just because you work there that automatically means you won't ever commit a crime
Oh by the way not being sensitive just trying to dispel the dirty name that so many people try to give chelmsley the place I have spent all my life. I've done quite well and managed so far not to assault anyone even when I have to travel on the 14

Mike K

Quote from: Bususer79 on August 14, 2013, 11:32:43 AM

I will take on board what you say mike but first I have a couple of questions for you.
Firstly
When did I try to deny that said offender is unlikely to come from chelmsley wood what I said was that unless you ask then you can't just judge where they come from.
Secondly
So they work at the airport just because you work there that automatically means you won't ever commit a crime
Oh by the way not being sensitive just trying to dispel the dirty name that so many people try to give chelmsley the place I have spent all my life. I've done quite well and managed so far not to assault anyone even when I have to travel on the 14

1. Ok, if I misread any earlier posts then I apologise and retract that statement.
2. In my view the type who carry out assaults on buses are more likely to be work shy scrounging layabouts than hard working tax payers but I acknowledge this isn't exclusively the case.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on August 14, 2013, 11:53:03 AM
Quote from: Bususer79 on August 14, 2013, 11:32:43 AM

Firstly
Secondly

1. Ok, if I misread any earlier posts then I apologise and retract that statement.
2. In my view the type who carry out assaults on buses are more likely to be work shy scrounging layabouts than hard working tax payers but I acknowledge this isn't exclusively the case.

Vast majority of the time it is though, Mike.

When was the last time you got mugged by a suit?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk