News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Passangers & Drivers

Started by Nathan4775, August 12, 2013, 10:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

I was mugged in Chelmsley Wood by youths who I had asked to stop smoking while I was sitting at the back upstairs due to heavy load when I boarded.
A helpful local intervened and attempted to mediate but they were pond life (no disrespect to goldfish).
The bus did not have any no smoking stickers on the windows, which didn't help.

My bag was stolen off the seat beside me while on a Metrobus on the 87 in Smethwick. Despite chasing the youth off the bus I'm not as agile as I used to be and I lost him in a side street! The bus wasn't fitted with CCTV, but I was only travelling on the bus before the route was converted!

I still visit Chelmsley Wood regularly.

P.S. I've witnessed two suits fighting over a seat on a Virgin Train!

Bususer79

Quote from: JoNi on August 14, 2013, 10:28:46 PM
I was mugged in Chelmsley Wood by youths who I had asked to stop smoking while I was sitting at the back upstairs due to heavy load when I boarded.
A helpful local intervened and attempted to mediate but they were pond life (no disrespect to goldfish).
The bus did not have any no smoking stickers on the windows, which didn't help.

My bag was stolen off the seat beside me while on a Metrobus on the 87 in Smethwick. Despite chasing the youth off the bus I'm not as agile as I used to be and I lost him in a side street! The bus wasn't fitted with CCTV, but I was only travelling on the bus before the route was converted!

I still visit Chelmsley Wood regularly.

P.S. I've witnessed two suits fighting over a seat on a Virgin Train!

Sorry to hear that you were mugged out of interest the "pond life" that intervened what made them pond life?

I am however glad that you mentioned your travel through smethwick as that area is ten times worse.
I'm now waiting for the comments to come in because I defend chelmsley wood and that I live there I'm sure people will tag me as a benefits scrounging Jeremy Kyle watcher. I will set the record straight now I have never claimed any benefits and have always worked and the same can be said for my immediate and extended family and friends who live here.

Sh4318

I think people shouldn't judge areas unless they've actually lived in them
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

MK

Quote from: Sh4166 on August 15, 2013, 08:43:15 AM

Fair point. This thread has drifted a bit but my personal circumstances are probably relevant to passing comment. I lived in Smethwick for 25 years & go back every week to visit my parents. My opinion is that it is just about the most filthy, depressing places to be in the West Midlands. Funnily enough, i now live in Kingshurst (next to Chelmsley Wood) & work in Nechells. Neither of these are particularly appealing, but neither feel quite as bad as Smethwick. 

Dylan4579

Smethwick is not that bad, the further away from cape hill you get the better it gets

The Real 4778

Quote from: Sh4166 on August 15, 2013, 08:43:15 AM

Don't want to get too philosophical, but our entire lives are based on making 'judgements' as these pretty much ensure our survival.  With my job I've had to visit railway depots at all times of day and night, and I'm pleased to have made the judgement that walking alone through Longsight after dark wouldn't be a good idea.  Socially I mix with all sorts, and I tend not to juge a book by its cover - but Burberry-clad ratboys sat at the back of buses speaking in a 'ghetto' dialect will always get a wide berth. 
Don't you start.

MK

Quote from: dgss1 on August 15, 2013, 09:58:39 AM
Smethwick is not that bad, the further away from cape hill you get the better it gets

Not true. The West Cross area on Oldbury Road is the opposite end of Smethwick and is just as bad, if not worse. The whole town is full of the dregs of West Midlands society.

Sh4318

I've lived in the area my entire life and have never experienced any harm, so it can't be that bad!

MK

I wasn't judging on the possibility of coming to harm. Smethwick has deteriorated big-time over the last decade or so. Its now a filthy, rundown shanty town with a huge image problem that is in serious need of regeneration. Its not really possible to comment on the attitude or conduct of the majority of the residents as I cannot understand a word that they say  ;D

Sh4318

Quote from: MK on August 15, 2013, 08:09:44 PM
Its not really possible to comment on the attitude or conduct of the majority of the residents as I cannot understand a word that they say  ;D

...and what's that supposed to mean?

Trident 4609

Quote from: Sh4166 on August 15, 2013, 09:42:51 PM
Quote from: MK on August 15, 2013, 08:09:44 PM
Its not really possible to comment on the attitude or conduct of the majority of the residents as I cannot understand a word that they say  ;D

...and what's that supposed to mean?

Either suggesting that they are foreign or they are chavs? Can't really comment on that area as i don't really visit much but i don't really agree with steriotyping areas even if they are notorious for crime etc. I could say plenty of things about Heath Town in Wolverhampton as it doesn't look like the  place to be and is known for trouble but doesn't mean everyone there smokes weed and commits crime!

I am not aiming this at any individuals but could the steriotyping stop please? It will help stop arguments which seem to be brewing

Kevin

Quote from: Bususer79 on August 13, 2013, 10:02:21 PM
But the comment made about chelmsley wood is completely unrealistic and typically stereotypical. While there are certain people that let down down chelmsley as a resident living there and a working one at that I can say there are plenty more so called worst places in the midlands. Joni definitely needs to get in the real world.

Quote from: Bususer79 on August 14, 2013, 11:18:25 PM
I am however glad that you mentioned your travel through smethwick as that area is ten times worse.
I'm now waiting for the comments to come in because I defend chelmsley wood and that I live there

So, basically, Chelmsley Wood is only a decent place because you live there? And Smethwick is ten times worse because you don't? I've witnessed fights, antisocial behaviour etc in both of those places, and pretty much everywhere else... even Sutton Coldfield, leafy villages in Worcestershire and other supposedly nice "vibrant, multicultural" cities. Most places breed scum, they just unfortunately congregate in specific areas where they get noticed more, and people see this and assume the whole area is like it.
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Bususer79

Quote from: Kevin on August 17, 2013, 09:02:08 AM
Quote from: Bususer79 on August 13, 2013, 10:02:21 PM
But the comment made about chelmsley wood is completely unrealistic and typically stereotypical. While there are certain people that let down down chelmsley as a resident living there and a working one at that I can say there are plenty more so called worst places in the midlands. Joni definitely needs to get in the real world.

Quote from: Bususer79 on August 14, 2013, 11:18:25 PM
I'm now waiting for the comments to come in because I defend chelmsley wood and that I live there

So, basically, Chelmsley Wood is only a decent place because you live there? And Smethwick is ten times worse because you don't? I've witnessed fights, antisocial behaviour etc in both of those places, and pretty much everywhere else... even Sutton Coldfield, leafy villages in Worcestershire and other supposedly nice "vibrant, multicultural" cities. Most places breed scum, they just unfortunately congregate in specific areas where they get noticed more, and people see this and assume the whole area is like it.

Exactly people are too quick to judge yes everywhere has their share of bad but dome places hide it more than others.
I would like to add that I don't remember chelmsley wood was decent because I live there what I did say was that I turned out and basically it's a minority not a majority that let it down.

Anyhow thought this subject had be dropped.

Dylan4579

So then why do you judge Smethwick then?

JoNi

While travelling on a new Enviro on the 900 this morning the deafening air conditioning came on.
I usually hate it but it drowned out a phone conversation a fellow passenger had from Coventry until they got off at Yardley. >:(
Every cloud has a silver lining full marks to the driver if he switched it on.
He didn't hang around either one of the best rides I've had on the 900 since the days of Lynxes years ago.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk