News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Buggies on buses

Started by nitromatt1, August 12, 2013, 12:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitromatt1

A Trident on the 126 today managed to squeeze onboard 4 unfolded prams with babies inside (quite a mothers union!), and it got me wondering, up to how many unfolded buggies are supposed to be permitted on each type of vehicle?

Sh4318

Quote from: nitromatt1 on August 12, 2013, 12:03:11 AM
A Trident on the 126 today managed to squeeze onboard 4 unfolded prams with babies inside (quite a mothers union!), and it got me wondering, up to how many unfolded buggies are supposed to be permitted on each type of vehicle?

2 or 3 on most isn't it?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Matt.N0056

Only 2. Stickers appeared and a notice, i think it was May 2011?, saying that only 2 unfolded buggies could be carried.

winston

Quote from: Sh4166 on August 12, 2013, 12:07:43 AM

2 or 3 on most isn't it?

Think it's 2 by NX rules i.e. one in each bay to prevent the gangway from being blocked

the trainbasher

IMO non should be allowed...they coped in the step entrance days so why shouldn't they have to fold them up nowadays!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Sh4318

Quote from: DJ trainbasher on August 12, 2013, 12:22:32 AM
IMO non should be allowed...they coped in the step entrance days so why shouldn't they have to fold them up nowadays!

I wouldn't say none should be allowed. When talking about step entrance buses you also have to consider wheelchair users. I think 2's about right
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

lynx1103

Maximum 2 pushchairs regardless of bus type

Passenger with buggie should be sat down and not standing blocking aisle.

This is to stop buggy zone area being to crowded.

Does create conflict situations

Liverpool Street

A double buggy is classed as 2 separate prams.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

andy

Quote from: Sh4166 on August 12, 2013, 12:25:10 AM

I wouldn't say none should be allowed. When talking about step entrance buses you also have to consider wheelchair users. I think 2's about right

I would. It has nothing to do with wheelchairs, it should be wheelchairs only and zero buggies. Buggies are for pavements, not cluttering the aisle up and preventing elderly and infirm passengers from reaching the grab rails or a convenient seat as was always the way to prevent accidents. Ban buggies. Now.

GB_91

Quote from: andy on August 12, 2013, 03:00:09 PM
Quote from: Sh4166 on August 12, 2013, 12:25:10 AM

I would. It has nothing to do with wheelchairs, it should be wheelchairs only and zero buggies. Buggies are for pavements, not cluttering the aisle up and preventing elderly and infirm passengers from reaching the grab rails or a convenient seat as was always the way to prevent accidents. Ban buggies. Now.

100% agree with this. All that happens now is fighting over who has the "priority" to the bays and they cause nothing but danger to everyone else using the bus who can't get past buggies sticking out, then when you politely ask them to move you just get the usual "F Off" Routine... Other than that its the drivers getting mouthfuls when they refuse to allow more than 2 buggies on the bus. It's not like the majority can't be folded down anyway...

Stu

Back when I was a wee nipper (and my brother and sister after me!), my mum had a simple fold-up pushchair to carry us around with, and whenever she got on the bus she'd simply pick us up and foldaway the pushchair and store it in the luggage rack. Because back in the day, there were no low-floor buses, and no buggy zones.

Looking at many pushchairs, or 'buggies' nowadays, they seem to have more in common with small armoured assault vehicles, looking at the size of them!

What's more annoying is those who bring a buggy onto the bus, then leave their buggy in the zone, and take their child out to sit on their lap, or wander freely about the bus, falling over, and pressing the damn Stop button repeatedly.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

andy

Quote from: Stu on August 12, 2013, 06:56:12 PM
Back when I was a wee nipper (and my brother and sister after me!), my mum had a simple fold-up pushchair to carry us around with, and whenever she got on the bus she'd simply pick us up and foldaway the pushchair and store it in the luggage rack. Because back in the day, there were no low-floor buses, and no buggy zones.

Looking at many pushchairs, or 'buggies' nowadays, they seem to have more in common with small armoured assault vehicles, looking at the size of them!

What's more annoying is those who bring a buggy onto the bus, then leave their buggy in the zone, and take their child out to sit on their lap, or wander freely about the bus, falling over, and pressing the damn Stop button repeatedly.

I need to keep away from this thread! Believe me I could write a book....

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: andy on August 12, 2013, 07:19:49 PM
Quote from: Stu on August 12, 2013, 06:56:12 PM

I need to keep away from this thread! Believe me I could write a book....

and me, for instance, Merc on the 276 this afternoon with 4 pushchairs on it
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

danny

Has anyone seen the fights over the buggy spaces, its like watching an episode of eastenders, but more entertaining.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Stu

Also, how about when someone gets on with a buggy, parks it in the wheelchair space, then sits down in the other fold-down seats (essentially taking up all the buggy space), then 'huffs and puffs' when someone else with a buggy gets on?

And yes, the amount of abuse I've heard drivers get when they tell these delightful ladies there is no room for more buggies... really should that kind of language be used in front of children?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk