News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Possible profitable circular route between 8A/C and 11A/C?

Started by :D, August 05, 2013, 02:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

:D

I'm only well versed on routes in east Birmingham but I think this would be profitable in the other areas as well.

Anyway, my suggestion is a new circular bus route that runs between current 8A/C and 11A/C route.

I know that in some places, both circular routes run so close together or there are no roads between them, this new bus route will have to overlap either of them.

In east Birmingham, this new bus route could replace part of the 98 (St Andrews-Fox Goose) and the 36. Seeing from the map, this route would have to run through a lot of residential areas, which means a lot of passengers.

So, any suggestions for it in the other areas in Birmingham?

Kevin

I'd only suggest end to end routes to cover those areas, possibly as routes from town or just between outlying areas.

Examples:
- (I know I've mentioned this particular section before) but the direct route Handsworth - Lozells - Aston could have a service through from the top end of Handsworth (Morrisons) to Erdington via Star City.
- The 98 you mentioned could be extended to the city centre
- The 1 already covers a vast section between the circles, as does the 53 (albeit a twisted route)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Quote from: Kevin on August 05, 2013, 11:10:37 AM
I'd only suggest end to end routes to cover those areas, possibly as routes from town or just between outlying areas.

Examples:
- (I know I've mentioned this particular section before) but the direct route Handsworth - Lozells - Aston could have a service through from the top end of Handsworth (Morrisons) to Erdington via Star City.
- The 1 already covers a vast section between the circles, as does the 53 (albeit a twisted route)

While I was creating this thread, I typed something important, I must've deleted it when I posted this thread because it disappeared.

What I was going to say is that this route will replace any bus routes it overlaps in large amount. This route will replace the 1, and naming this new bus route as 1A/C and so continue on replacing any bus routes.

Of course, the 98 could be extended, but is it necessary? Probably not as the section between St Andrew's and city centre is already less than 5 minute frequency of all buses serving in this area. Most users of this bus are the ones who want to go to heartlands hospital, of course from city centre they could've used the 97.

This route will serve Star City, meaning it will provide a link between Handsworth and Star City.

Kevin

Hate to say it but if it wasn't for tradition's sake I imagine the 11A/C would have been carved up years ago, a cirlcular service like that can either be hideously unreliable due to having to cross every single major arterial route from the city or timetables to be hideously slow to compensate for the unreliability. Similar with the 8A/C. Cannot imagine any new circular like them working
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

The 8 Inner Circle and the 11 Outer Circle both serve useful purposes. There is no real use introducing a further circular service, as there is no real 'natural' path for them to follow.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Kevin on August 05, 2013, 07:41:05 PM
Hate to say it but if it wasn't for tradition's sake I imagine the 11A/C would have been carved up years ago, a cirlcular service like that can either be hideously unreliable due to having to cross every single major arterial route from the city or timetables to be hideously slow to compensate for the unreliability. Similar with the 8A/C. Cannot imagine any new circular like them working
I agree with you on this, however if it's possible, I think buses on the circular routes should not be following timetable, but rather they should keeping headway between the buses within specified amount of time.

Tony

Quote from: :D on August 05, 2013, 08:38:07 PM
Quote from: Kevin on August 05, 2013, 07:41:05 PM
I agree with you on this, however if it's possible, I think buses on the circular routes should not be following timetable, but rather they should keeping headway between the buses within specified amount of time.

Would be good if they could, but even that is difficult on the 11, and it is not how Vosa see it

the trainbasher

Quote from: :D on August 05, 2013, 06:59:33 PM

Examples:

While I was creating this thread, I typed something important, I must've deleted it when I posted this thread because it disappeared.

What I was going to say is that this route will replace any bus routes it overlaps in large amount. This route will replace the 1, and naming this new bus route as 1A/C and so continue on replacing any bus routes.

Of course, the 98 could be extended, but is it necessary? Probably not as the section between St Andrew's and city centre is already less than 5 minute frequency of all buses serving in this area. Most users of this bus are the ones who want to go to heartlands hospital, of course from city centre they could've used the 97.

This route will serve Star City, meaning it will provide a link between Handsworth and Star City.

Isn't there already a 98 in city so you'd have to runumber it!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Nathan4775

Quote from: DJ trainbasher on August 05, 2013, 11:26:00 PM
Quote from: :D on August 05, 2013, 06:59:33 PM

Examples:

Isn't there already a 98 in city so you'd have to runumber it!

Ye, runs between B'Ham & Rubery Via Northfield I think
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk