News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Depot visits

Started by Tony, July 26, 2013, 08:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnoc

I once did just "pop in", some drivers that saw me didn't give 2 craps, I went to the office and the guy never said anything, instead he just greeted me and we just had a little conversation.

John Stait

Years ago, I used to go to every WMPTE/WMT garage, ask politely and get in (usually with the promise of avoiding the pits and workshop areas) and I always said a polite thank you when I left, usually clutching the latest copy of the depot fueling sheet!

I realise with H&S it's all different these days, but can we please have some common sense here? Write in or call the garage concerned who will say yes or no. Bring a Hi-Viz. if the answer is no, then it's no for a good reason, please respect that. And for god sake, act responsibly and safely, as has been said, garages are private property and you can be done for trespassing if you've no good reason to be there.

John

Mike K

Quote from: Bryan on October 10, 2015, 08:41:57 PM
I'm sorry to say this but MW should be barred from this forum with comments like that.

Come on now, let's get real. You might not agree with the comments, and they might not be advisable but he hasn't insulted anyone, made a personal attack etc.

MW

Quote from: Tony on October 10, 2015, 08:28:02 PM
And yes they may notice, last time I was in YW I got asked to see my employee 'passport' by someone who didn't recognise me

Were we supposed to keep that?

Quote from: Bryan on October 10, 2015, 08:41:57 PM
I'm sorry to say this but MW should be barred from this forum with comments like that.

Whoaaaaaa, chill out bro. I don't know why everyones getting upset lol, I was actually being sarcastic. That's not to say it wouldn't work though.

Quote from: Winston on October 10, 2015, 08:50:26 PM
Good advice there, especially considering you're an employee!

That maybe what you used to do which also  included starting up buses & posting a video on YouTube......

Are you talking about that? I didn't start them, just electrics on. Nah I was there with permission though. All of them I was there with permission. I've never actually gone in without it. I was just humouring him.

Edit: Merged my posts into one.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: MW on October 11, 2015, 02:00:17 AM
Whoaaaaaa, chill out bro. I don't know why everyones getting upset lol, I was actually being sarcastic. That's not to say it wouldn't work though.

Exactly, which is why it is best not to make comments like that on a forum like this.

Somebody sneaks into a garage and gets seriously injured or even worse, then it will affect each of us because all depot visits will be banned and quite probably NE (and other companies no doubt) will be loath to do anything for enthusiasts in the future.

Best advice is to contact NE in advance and get permission to visit, then you can be shown around and stay safe at the same time.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: countryliner on October 11, 2015, 01:57:05 PM
A lot of independent small operators are happy to let enthusiasts have a look around their depots if you just walk in and ask someone there. But the larger operators (national express etc) are probably far more worried about health and safety etc.

there is another big difference, a small operator only has a small number of employees with a few things going on at any time, a garage with over 100 buses based there will always have something going on, machinery in use, vehicles moving etc.

I wish it was still the same as when I was a teenager and you could basically just walk up and ask politely and get around almost any bus or railway depot, but there does seem to be a lot more people about without the 'self-preservation skills'  trying to enter premises nowadays

Tomf1993

Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2015, 02:01:47 PM
there is another big difference, a small operator only has a small number of employees with a few things going on at any time, a garage with over 100 buses based there will always have something going on, machinery in use, vehicles moving etc.

I wish it was still the same as when I was a teenager and you could basically just walk up and ask politely and get around almost any bus or railway depot, but there does seem to be a lot more people about without the 'self-preservation skills'  trying to enter premises nowadays

Tony, this is why I asked you via PM the other day about you arranging some garage visits to say WA for us, so silly people dont feel the urge to just walk into garages and could end up getting hurt or something..  :)

Bryan

Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2015, 02:01:47 PM

How times have changed, not always for the better.

These days someone is always ready to take legal action against a company even if they have an accident which is their own fault.

If I was in charge of a depot would I take the risk of letting someone wander arround? I hate to say no.

Tomf1993

I very much doubt any one can just walk into any depot and wonder around, of course without a hi vis on they will get spotted and asked to leave. 

Tomf1993

If I was you people who want to visit garages, I would just wait for open days to be organised, or ask in reception rather then just going in, as every TWM like WA has loads of guards patrolling the depots due to criminal damage etc

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Tomf1993 on October 17, 2015, 07:58:06 PM
If I was you people who want to visit garages, I would just wait for open days to be organised, or ask in reception rather then just going in, as every TWM like WA has loads of guards patrolling the depots due to criminal damage etc

I've visited many garages (My expeditions involve me staying on the outside) the only 1 time I've seen/ encountered a security guard was ironically at BY when I was told not to photograph the garage
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on October 17, 2015, 08:05:21 PM
I've visited many garages (My expeditions involve me staying on the outside) the only 1 time I've seen/ encountered a security guard was ironically at BY when I was told not to photograph the garage

If you were stood in a public place, don't see that they can stop you taking photos?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 17, 2015, 08:13:39 PM
If you were stood in a public place, don't see that they can stop you taking photos?

I didnt fancy my chances with arguing with the guy although I get mixed answers about photographing a garage

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on October 17, 2015, 08:39:09 PM
I didnt fancy my chances with arguing with the guy although I get mixed answers about photographing a garage

As long as you are in a public place, nothing they can do about it! What do they keep in their, buses or the crown jewels.

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 17, 2015, 08:42:55 PM
As long as you are in a public place, nothing they can do about it! What do they keep in their, buses or the crown jewels.

I feel the same way, I feel as if NX didnt want their garages to be photographed, then garages would be enclosed as buses would be hidden from view

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk