News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Perry Barr Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 09:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real 4778

Alternatively, we could wait and see what the loss adjusters have to say, and whether she's worth repairing in insurance terms. As a relatively new bus there's plenty of residual value in the asset and if the seat (literally in this case) is above the floor, and the downstairs and engine bay/ electrical systems are undamaged, then who knows. Smoke and water damage could be superficial, so it depends how much of the top deck has gone and if it's weakened what's left beyond repair.
Don't you start.

MrBevan2000

Quote from: The Real 4778 on March 17, 2015, 07:58:17 PM
Alternatively, we could wait and see what the loss adjusters have to say, and whether she's worth repairing in insurance terms. As a relatively new bus there's plenty of residual value in the asset and if the seat (literally in this case) is above the floor, and the downstairs and engine bay/ electrical systems are undamaged, then who knows. Smoke and water damage could be superficial, so it depends how much of the top deck has gone and if it's weakened what's left beyond repair.

Have a look at the photo's on Twitter from the Fire Service.

Tony

Quote from: Michael Bevan on March 17, 2015, 08:02:56 PM

And? Loss adjusters will work out the cost of repair, and if the book value of the bus is more than the repair then it is not a write off.

The cost of the chassis is a considerable amount of the value of a bus, so even if it needed a brand new body (which is probably doubtful, but I will leave that for the experts to decide) it will still not get withdrawn

Over the years I,ve seen plenty of fire damaged upper decks rebuilt most have been older than 4927, probably be sent to Carlyle to be repaired, once you strip back the damaged fittings it's probably ok, that's been my experience with repairing cars.

B.C Driver

Quote from: 2900 on March 17, 2015, 08:28:00 PM
Over the years I,ve seen plenty of fire damaged upper decks rebuilt most have been older than 4927, probably be sent to Carlyle to be repaired, once you strip back the damaged fittings it's probably ok, that's been my experience with repairing cars.

Yep, 4502 was put back on the road....
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

The Real 4778

Quote from: Michael Bevan on March 17, 2015, 08:02:56 PM

I had. That's what my comment was based on.
Don't you start.

Tony

For those who think 4927 is likely to be scrapped, have a look at the bottom photo on this page of a 5 year old bus that was repaired
http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4001-4224/4134.html

Somehow I think that was worse than 4927 which is only two years old

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Rhys S on March 17, 2015, 07:50:36 PM
Quote from: Michael Bevan on March 17, 2015, 07:48:54 PM
Quote from: Rhys S on March 17, 2015, 07:45:18 PM
Quote from: Michael Bevan on March 17, 2015, 07:41:15 PM
Quote from: Rhys S on March 17, 2015, 07:38:53 PM
Would 4927 have to be replaced or will the 48** Enviros replace it ?

Well I saw 482* in Erdington as I was photographing 4927. Have a look on my Twitter at the photographs of 4927 since it won't let me post them on here @MichaelBev2000
Seen them mate looks quite extensive damage though

It looks really bad  :(
Its probably kept at PB for a while then withdrawn then Miller street and then that will be the First E400 withdrawn and to Miller Street

Woahhh talk about jumping the gun, the damage is fairly bad but seems to be confined to the upstairs and I would say almost certainly will not be written off. There was a wb president a few years ago which was repaired (don't remember which one) but that looked badly damaged abd was over 10 years old.

MrBevan2000

Quote from: Tony on March 17, 2015, 08:52:25 PM
For those who think 4927 is likely to be scrapped, have a look at the bottom photo on this page of a 5 year old bus that was repaired
http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4001-4224/4134.html

Somehow I think that was worse than 4927 which is only two years old

Does look worse Tony. Yeah I think they'll repair it then.

karl724223

Look the fire brigade are getting good and quicker at putting the fires out so more of the bus is saved

Ronnoc

I think it is likely to get repaired, I wonder how long it would take Carlyle to repair this bus, that's if they receive this bus to repair it.

These fires have got me thinking the new enviro 400 mmc has had all its electrical systems placed upstairs in the barrier above the stairs, if a fire takes hold upstairs it could wipe out these critical systems which are extremely costly. With All previous designs the electrical systems have been downstairs behind the driver. May be they are fire protected I wonder.

The Real 4778

Interesting! You'd expect ADL to have carried out a risk assessment for sure. Anyway, 4927 should be a going concern by the summer, all being well.
Don't you start.

Ronnoc

Quote from: 2900 on March 17, 2015, 09:22:19 PM
These fires have got me thinking the new enviro 400 mmc has had all its electrical systems placed upstairs in the barrier above the stairs, if a fire takes hold upstairs it could wipe out these critical systems which are extremely costly. With All previous designs the electrical systems have been downstairs behind the driver. May be they are fire protected I wonder.
If the electrical systems are upstairs I'd guess that a fire on the top deck would cause major damage even leading to a scrap if there has been an electrical area destroyed.

The Real 4778

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on March 17, 2015, 09:39:15 PM
Quote from: 2900 on March 17, 2015, 09:22:19 PM
If the electrical systems are upstairs I'd guess that a fire on the top deck would cause major damage even leading to a scrap if there has been an electrical area destroyed.

Looks like 4927 was 'fortunate' in that regard then.

Top of the stairs should by rights be about as far as it's possible to get from ignition sources.
Don't you start.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk