News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

VIP

Started by danny, April 30, 2012, 01:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PM

Quote from: Westy on October 29, 2013, 08:14:24 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 29, 2013, 07:52:32 PM
You would hope that when bids come in for contracts, that Centro look at them seriously and don't just go for the company that has bid the lowest.

After all, it may not be the lowest bid that offers the best value for money, as we have recently seen, how much money did Centro have to pay other operators to operate services a few weeks ago whilst VIP vehicles were off the road. Also, did they recover that money from VIP?

Let's face it, apart from NX, Arriva & Diamond, could you look at a company & think these ain't gonna last the course.

I dunno what anyone thinks but apart from NX, which company do you personally think 'Oh they will do a reasonable job!'?

Most of these companies that get the contracts,  I've never heard of.

Everyone has heard of NX, Arriva etc, but unless you live in the area,  who the hell has heard of the likes of Joes Travel,  Hanson,  Claribel etc?

I'd rather have a reputable known company than a Johnny Come Lately.

(Not suggesting any company I've mentioned are dodgy, just using examples! )

Maybe Centro ought to put 'new' companies on probation for contracts,  but how would you police the commercial journeys?

Firstly NX, arriva and diamond is pretty much ALL the west midlands market. And no you couldn't but you could look at the quality of their operation. And I think the vast majority of companies you think will do a good job and do. And most companies that get the contracts you've never heard of and Joes travel/claribels dont have any centro contracts! And if you don't live in the area then you wont be using the buses so surely it doesnt matter? Most people would be unable to name arriva/nx/diamond as the main operators if they live in the area let alone outside it! Most contracts dont go to a Johnny come lately.
And putting them on probation would be anti-competitive. Why not use centros resources to monitor services and provided targets are met, centro leaves them alone?? Far better system...

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 29, 2013, 08:26:02 PM
Quote from: Westy on October 29, 2013, 08:14:24 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 29, 2013, 07:52:32 PM
You would hope that when bids come in for contracts, that Centro look at them seriously and don't just go for the company that has bid the lowest.

After all, it may not be the lowest bid that offers the best value for money, as we have recently seen, how much money did Centro have to pay other operators to operate services a few weeks ago whilst VIP vehicles were off the road. Also, did they recover that money from VIP?

Let's face it, apart from NX, Arriva & Diamond, could you look at a company & think these ain't gonna last the course.

I dunno what anyone thinks but apart from NX, which company do you personally think 'Oh they will do a reasonable job!'?

Most of these companies that get the contracts,  I've never heard of.

Everyone has heard of NX, Arriva etc, but unless you live in the area,  who the hell has heard of the likes of Joes Travel,  Hanson,  Claribel etc?

I'd rather have a reputable known company than a Johnny Come Lately.

(Not suggesting any company I've mentioned are dodgy, just using examples! )

Maybe Centro ought to put 'new' companies on probation for contracts,  .but how would you police the commercial journeys?

I would hope that if Centro are spending tax payers money on tendered bus journeys, then someone is going out (mystery shopper perhaps) to ensure that journeys are being run correctly, on time, with a road worthy bus.

Unless somebody is sat in the depot pretending to be driving the route on a static ticket machine Centro can load data from the machines to see which journeys were run

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 29, 2013, 07:33:49 PM
Maybe as National Express run the 99 during the day, they will take over the emergency contract in the evenings/Sunday.

Doubt it, they can't cover the 99 duties as it is let alone emergency contracts.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

makkacdt

I'd like to see sunny travel tAke a few, they did well on the 120 in the past and now there 71 is ok, could do the 966 maybe
Wouldnt mind a 10 min bus service....

Tony

Quote from: makkacdt on October 30, 2013, 08:02:17 AM
I'd like to see sunny travel tAke a few, they did well on the 120 in the past and now there 71 is ok, could do the 966 maybe

So chucking passengers off in Solihull Town centre who want to go to the station so they can U-turn to get in front of Claribels on the return is OK. Personally I would prefer Claribels to show an interest in Centro tenders. There is no real need for anyone else to be on the 966

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: makkacdt on October 30, 2013, 08:02:17 AM

Oh god no. I see more than enough of them off route / running to fantasy times as it is.

makkacdt

Fair point there tony,

Never new that happened, been on a few times to get to work and Solihull never had a problem, went to the station on there pink one before, the rest I went over the island instead of going left and back in to the bus stops.

Again  claribels I use, nice buses if im honest, even if there is one drive who insists on grabbing your pass to check it. Fair play to him though, at least he checks them.
Wouldnt mind a 10 min bus service....

Kevin

Wow, I go on holiday for a week and miss all the exciting stuff.....
Cant wait to see a decent operator on the 424 (not holding out much hope, the route itself dictates it's never really going to prosper)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

PM

Quote from: Kevin on October 30, 2013, 06:50:27 PM
Cant wait to see a decent operator on the 424 (not holding out much hope, the route itself dictates it's never really going to prosper)

Didnt it prosper under Zak's/diamond-I would have thought its less of a no hoper than a lot of the other tendered routes out there...

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: DiamondDart on October 30, 2013, 07:05:55 PM

Didnt it prosper under Zak's/diamond-I would have thought its less of a no hoper than a lot of the other tendered routes out there...

You watch WMSNT get it!!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

PM

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 30, 2013, 07:28:55 PM

I hope they don't! Its unfair as Ive said before that a charity is allowed to compete like this

winston

They seem to be getting the majority of all Centro tenders available

Nathan4775

I imagine WMSNT will get it myself :) will be nice to more of WMSNT in Birmingham
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Matt.N0056

Just seen a dart being towed away, had been gutted. No glass no engine etc

vinh1000

Quote from: neale95 on November 02, 2013, 11:53:15 AM
Just seen a dart being towed away, had been gutted. No glass no engine etc
seen it too towed by a yellow truck
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi