News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

What has happened to express buses?

Started by :D, July 21, 2013, 12:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

Going back to the leather seats on the Enviros, they are certainly very different to my eyes. The original 'Perry Barr 993' batch have seats that seems very much like the higher backed seats on standard buses, where as the '997' batch seem a lot flatter. Almost like ironing boards covered in leather. The head rests on these are also covered separately, where as the darker grey ones are all in one.

Bob

Neither are very comfortable, and the blue flooring/interior panels on the grey seated examples gives an almoat clinical look, doesnt exactly lend itself to a feel of luxury.  Id say the old DP Nationals were even more comfy than the Metrobuses!

Kevin

Quote from: bob on July 22, 2013, 04:30:22 PM
Neither are very comfortable, and the blue flooring/interior panels on the grey seated examples gives an almoat clinical look, doesnt exactly lend itself to a feel of luxury.  Id say the old DP Nationals were even more comfy than the Metrobuses!

Personal opinion but I find the current leather seats on Enviros and Omnilinks reasonably comfortable, on a par with the Metrobus Timesavers just not as springy
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Sh4318

I find the leather seats on Enviros and Omnilinks and the high backed seating on Geminis far more comfortable than the standard seats used on NXWM buses
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

andy

Quote from: Winston on July 22, 2013, 10:42:48 AM
Quote from: Steveminor on July 22, 2013, 09:49:18 AM
You missed out the 994 Birmingham - chelmsley wood

Wasn't there a 993 as well?

That was after the Timesaver name had been discontinued.

Mike K

I think the answer to the original question that started the thread, and this has been covered to an extent in parts in various threads in the past, is that in peak hours, from most parts of Birmingham, express buses aren't that much quicker than normal stopping routes. The notable exception being the Birchfield Road where you have flyovers, underpasses etc and decent bus priority measures. But look at the likes of the Hagley Road and the Bristol Road which are a complete crawl into city in the rush hour. A limited stop bus just sits in that picking up fewer passengers.

Over the years Birmingham has become choked by traffic rendering many of the former Timesaver routes obsolete. Not saying there isn't a place for some high quality Express services, just that if many were workable, they'd still be running now.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on July 23, 2013, 09:51:43 PM
I think the answer to the original question that started the thread, and this has been covered to an extent in parts in various threads in the past, is that in peak hours, from most parts of Birmingham, express buses aren't that much quicker than normal stopping routes. The notable exception being the Birchfield Road where you have flyovers, underpasses etc and decent bus priority measures. But look at the likes of the Hagley Road and the Bristol Road which are a complete crawl into city in the rush hour. A limited stop bus just sits in that picking up fewer passengers.

Over the years Birmingham has become choked by traffic rendering many of the former Timesaver routes obsolete. Not saying there isn't a place for some high quality Express services, just that if many were workable, they'd still be running now.

That sums up this topic completely. Nothing more needs to be added.

--

But before it gets closed, even if 2013 express services existed using bypasses, the bypass roads are just as choked as the arterial route anyway.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

:D

Thanks for informative replies, I remember using some of those bus routes.

Quote from: Mike K on July 23, 2013, 09:51:43 PM

Yup, thanks.

Quote from: John on July 21, 2013, 12:16:00 PM
Quote from: :D on July 21, 2013, 12:12:09 PM
For bonus question (I'm curious), was there any more buses on Coventry Road that's not 57, 57A, 58, 59, 59A, 60, 900 and 957 in back then?

There used to be a 56 to Marston Green Station in late 90s/early 00s. Ran by Birmingham Central using B10Ls. I'm sure that used to go down the Coventry Rd
When did this end? I can't remember using that bus, did it follow similar route to 59 currently running now?

monkeyjoe

I remember in the past 2 56 routes in the 90's.

One which was Birmingham - Olton via Coventry road. Did last very long because of protest in the Olton area using residential streets. Think it became the 56Y for a time when TWM bought smiths and based themselves out of Miller Street.

Then their was one that went Birmingham - Marston Green, i think to Sheldon, Brays Rd area to Radleys and then to Marston Green. That did not last long either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk