News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

What has happened to express buses?

Started by :D, July 21, 2013, 12:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:D

I've noticed that most express buses has been removed. I can't quite remember most of them seeing my memory is bad.

I can only remember the ones that were on Bristol road, Coventry road (Was that 900?), and one on Washwood Heath road (590 probably?)

Also I can remember there was one non express bus on Coventry road that followed strange route, was it probably 560?

Any information on these routes and how popular was it?

For bonus question (I'm curious), was there any more buses on Coventry Road that's not 57, 57A, 58, 59, 59A, 60, 900 and 957 in back then?

John

Quote from: :D on July 21, 2013, 12:12:09 PM
For bonus question (I'm curious), was there any more buses on Coventry Road that's not 57, 57A, 58, 59, 59A, 60, 900 and 957 in back then?

There used to be a 56 to Marston Green Station in late 90s/early 00s. Ran by Birmingham Central using B10Ls. I'm sure that used to go down the Coventry Rd

Bob

Express buses used to have dual purpose, coach seated vehicles as standard, now its just any ordinary bus. Thats a bit of a decline....

Sh4318

Quote from: bob on July 21, 2013, 12:58:43 PM
Express buses used to have dual purpose, coach seated vehicles as standard, now its just any ordinary bus. Thats a bit of a decline....

X51? 997? 952?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Bob

Their not coach seats! Not even high backed unless your a shortarse, theyre just plastic backed bus seats with a bloody head rest slapped on, plus theyre not even comfy particularly the x51s. Im thinkin the metrobuses and the nationals, and the sort of buses midland red used to use

JackC

Quote from: bob on July 21, 2013, 02:14:11 PM
Their not coach seats! Not even high backed unless your a shortarse, theyre just plastic backed bus seats with a bloody head rest slapped on, plus theyre not even comfy particularly the x51s. Im thinkin the metrobuses and the nationals, and the sort of buses midland red used to use

I find the grey leather seats on the E400s quite comfortable, although the cream leather E400s and the fabric Geminis aren't really anything special. I agree with the fact they're not really too high though - being 6'3" the top of the seat comes up to about my neck.

Bob

Gareth

The 590 was never an express route. The route number may confuse some people, but it was given that number replacing the 59/90.

Liverpool Street

The question is, will these proper DP and express services make a return? I doubt it. Lovely soft seats on the Metros, you used to sink into the velour.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Tony

Quote from: JackC on July 21, 2013, 02:49:44 PM
Quote from: bob on July 21, 2013, 02:14:11 PM

I find the grey leather seats on the E400s quite comfortable, although the cream leather E400s and the fabric Geminis aren't really anything special. I agree with the fact they're not really too high though - being 6'3" the top of the seat comes up to about my neck.

The grey and cream leather seats are identical (apart from the colour) so not sure why one is comfortable and one not!

I find 4680-6 the comfiest seats currently in the NX bus fleet

JackC

Quote from: Tony on July 21, 2013, 06:04:42 PM
The grey and cream leather seats are identical (apart from the colour) so not sure why one is comfortable and one not!

They seats are shaped differently aren't they? Either way, the grey leather just feels more comfortable.

Trident 4609

Quote from: JackC on July 21, 2013, 07:38:24 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 21, 2013, 06:04:42 PM

They seats are shaped differently aren't they? Either way, the grey leather just feels more comfortable.

4763-7 have standard blue plastic backed (Like all normal buses have a set of) and 4768-75 have cream brown coloured seats but with headrests

lynx1103

In 1990 s proper Timesaver/Limited stop network

900 Birmingham-Airport & NEC-Coventry
901 Birmingham-Lichfield
950 Birmingham-Walsall-Bloxwich-Cannock-Hednesford
951 Birmingham-Walsall-Bloxwich-Cannock-Hednesford
952 Birmingham-Walsall-Bloxwich-Cannock-Hednesford
953 Birmingham-Walsall-Bloxwich-Cannock-Hednesford
962 Birmingham-Chelmsley Wood
963 Birmingham-Gannow
966 Walsall-Sutton Coldfield-Erdington-Chelmsley Wood-Airport and NEC
979 Birmingham-West Bromwich-Wolverhampton