News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Swift Card on NXWM buses

Started by Trident 4609, July 14, 2013, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4609

Just a question which i have been thinking about when Swift Card is introduced onto National Express West Midlands buses, Will it mean the end to paper tickets from the ticket machine or will they still keep tickets?

nitromatt1

There will definitely still be cash fares and paper tickets for people who don't live in the Midlands using NXWM buses, or for people who for whatever reason choose not to have a Swift Card

PM

Does the swift card not issue tickets then-like on the diamond ticket machines?

nitromatt1

Quote from: Peter123 on July 14, 2013, 03:48:55 PM

Good point, I think it does although I've never seen one in use

PM

Quote from: nitromatt1 on July 14, 2013, 03:57:24 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on July 14, 2013, 03:48:55 PM

Good point, I think it does although I've never seen one in use

Havent seen swift used much to be honest

Ash

I was shocked to see a swift card used last week on a diamond service 4 bus the lady had to ask the driver if they were accepted the sooner cash fares are phased out diamonds profits wil go up ;)

Dylan4579

If NX are using swift Diamond could seriously cash in

PM

Quote from: dgss1 on July 14, 2013, 05:01:26 PM

Yeah they could cash in but obviously not actually using actual cash

So are diamond now using swift and not their own smartcard as was rumoured?
Personally, that is better and diamond buses could do well out of it

Tony

Quote from: Peter123 on July 14, 2013, 05:27:23 PM

So are diamond now using swift and not their own smartcard as was rumoured?

They won't because swift will only take off when NX start accepting it, and then people will just get on the first bus to come the same as they do now with cash

PM

Quote from: Tony on July 14, 2013, 05:33:39 PM

So are National express now using swift and not their own smartcard as was rumoured?

They won't because swift will only take off when NX start accepting it, and then people will just get on the first bus to come the same as they do now with cash

Yeah but the point is that people will have this perhaps switch from direct debit with NatEx and instead use swift so presumably they get on one bus, say a diamond then another national express and another diamond, it will give them an nbus so it is cheaper or if they go national express x3 then they will get a daysaver. In short, people wont purchase a daysaver at the start of a day, meaning they can catch any other bus-they are not restricted to Travel. So, to confirm are NX going to accept swift and if so, when? Because originally, werent they going to develop their own scheme. A great way to get it to take off by the way would be sending all WM residents a card telling them how to put money on it-perhaps there could also be a discount on its first use

Tony

Quote from: Peter123 on July 14, 2013, 05:40:50 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 14, 2013, 05:33:39 PM

So are National express now using swift and not their own smartcard as was rumoured?

Yeah but the point is that people will have this perhaps switch from direct debit with NatEx and instead use swift so presumably they get on one bus, say a diamond then another national express and another diamond, it will give them an nbus so it is cheaper or if they go national express x3 then they will get a daysaver. In short, people wont purchase a daysaver at the start of a day, meaning they can catch any other bus-they are not restricted to Travel. So, to confirm are NX going to accept swift and if so, when? Because originally, werent they going to develop their own scheme. A great way to get it to take off by the way would be sending all WM residents a card telling them how to put money on it-perhaps there could also be a discount on its first use

It was part of the £81m investment announcement that NX would accept swift.
Using swift will not be cheaper than the NX Direct Debit scheme.

vinh1000

I use Swift atm and its great on Diamond and WMSNT for example

Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

nitromatt1

Can you put unlimited travel (e.g. week, month etc) on a Swift Card - or can you only pay per journey?

Stu

Quote from: Tony on July 14, 2013, 05:55:23 PM
It was part of the £81m investment announcement that NX would accept swift.
Using swift will not be cheaper than the NX Direct Debit scheme.

I've enquired about this before, and I'm of the understanding that 'season' tickets (ie monthly passes), presumably both Network West Midlands (Centro)'s own, as well as NX's (and no doubt Diamond and any other operator that provides weekly or monthly tickets), will be able to be 'loaded' onto your Swift card (in the near future, obviously it is not set up yet), in much the same way as the Oyster card works in London.

It should then be theoretically possible to continue to pay for a monthly NX Faresaver ticket by direct debit, only instead of receiving a paper ticket in the post, it be loaded onto my Swiftcard.

So then in theory, I should be able to enjoy unlimited use of all NX buses for a set amount a month, as well as being able to use the Swift card for 'pay-as-you-go' journeys on other operators, if I choose to do so.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

vinh1000

Quote from: nitromatt1 on July 14, 2013, 06:16:48 PM
Can you put unlimited travel (e.g. week, month etc) on a Swift Card - or can you only pay per journey?
Not yet
They said to me @ Centro House End of July time you can load say nBus and still have the spare Swift fares for pay as you go
the swift card IS TRANSFERRABLE so I find benefit to give to my family if they want to use card as opposed to photocard
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk