News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Oh how it's changed in the past five years

Started by MW, April 29, 2012, 03:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcw1987/5261788688/in/photostream/

Everything in that is no longer. Walsall Road Tridents debranded. Two Lynxe's withdrawn. Metrobuses gone. Gemini in a terrible livery now.

Liberator9

I agree about the Geminis being in a terrible livery. They look horrid now! Also I miss having the Liberators and Crusaders on my route and also miss the Eclipse Urbans being at AG. But of course nothing lasts forever! Love the picture too, and wish all the Geminis were still in that livery.

PM

Has anyone got a photo of these gemini in the current livery-I also think they look smart here. Do they have high backed seating?

D10

Quote from: Peter123 on April 29, 2012, 04:32:14 PM
Has anyone got a photo of these gemini in the current livery-I also think they look smart here. Do they have high backed seating?

Yes this batch of Geminis for the 997 were delivered with higher back seats.

PM

ilovetea4370

I agree Michael, although we have to accept things need to change over time, I just can't help look at the state of things today compared to a few years ago and wonder what went wrong!

don

I liked that livery on the Gemini but not the strange arrangement of stripes they had. They look even stranger on 4128 to me, for some reason.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Ashley

It's the Meotrbuses I miss, Even this time only four years ago we still had around 200 active. and now like most of the best things in nxwms history, its all just history, memories

MK

Quote from: Ashley on April 30, 2012, 08:53:31 PM
It's the Meotrbuses I miss, Even this time only four years ago we still had around 200 active. and now like most of the best things in nxwms history, its all just history, memories

Whilst respecting your viewpoint, i never really did understand the appeal. I though that they looked and sounded awful. Maybe its a generation thing as i still get teary-eyed looking at pics of fleetlines & nationals - wishing i'd savoured them more than i did. Lynxes & metrobuses were the beginning of the end for me in terms of 'rateable' buses.

don

Quote from: MK on April 30, 2012, 09:46:47 PM
Quote from: Ashley on April 30, 2012, 08:53:31 PM

Whilst respecting your viewpoint, i never really did understand the appeal. I though that they looked and sounded awful. Maybe its a generation thing as i still get teary-eyed looking at pics of fleetlines & nationals - wishing i'd savoured them more than i did. Lynxes & metrobuses were the beginning of the end for me in terms of 'rateable' buses.

Oh mate! I know they say beauty's in the eye of the beholder, and everyone's opinion is valid, but do you really think Nationals didn't look and sound awful  ??? the early ones sounded decidely metallic of the lots of small nuts and bolts being churned around in a spin dryer variety - a total cacophany of sound to me! The interiors were stark to say the least. They grew on you though especially those smart WMPTE dual purpose ones.

This does happen at each generation of buses - in the late 70s/early 80s everyone was hell bent on saving as many BCT standards as possible whilst the Fleetlines disappeared largely unnoticed - thank god for 3436 - it's the only survivor of the first 310 BCT Fleetlines. Will any first generation low floor NXWMs get preserved......................

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Well 4001 and perhaps even 4002 definetly deserve to be preserved. If you just think how many miles 4001 has done visiting various bus shows across the country, I also believe it went abroad for a little bit, Czech republic?? Coupled with daily service in Birmingham City Centre for 10 years before continuing to serve the people of Wolverhampton. Plus it has the heritage of (technically)
being Britain's first low floor double decker!
All in all I believe that its probably NXWM's most seen Double Decker along with having a heritage and a story to tell, which can't be said for any other bus in the fleet really.

PM

I agree that things have definitely gor worse in the past few years. Loss of a good livery, lack of fleet replacement until very recently, loss of the lynxes which were the best buses by far. Yeah, I think the TWM years were great and I think at least one bus needs to be preserved, maybe a B6le and also a president as these are a lot better than spectras.

don

Ashley

The tridents certainly won't be withdrawn for a good while yet but they'd definately be on my preservation list. Maybe a few Mercs and a Metrobus if I could find one

nx4737

The Gemini's actually suit the new livery IMO.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk