News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Comp on Bham routes since dereg. Which corridors have benefitted the most?

Started by monkeyjoe, July 04, 2013, 10:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

Which routes or corridors over the years would you say have had the most competition and provoked the most agreesive reactions from NXWM or formely TWM.

Also as an idependant bus company and not ever been in a position to reasearch what makes certain routes more attractive than others.

For instance the 94 has had loads of operators come and go over the years, however say for example the 33 on just as busy corridor has probably had a lot less if any at all ( i realise city to perry barr corridor has competition).

However it seems it always the same corridors targeted i.e 50, 94 16. However less so on corridors such as (just examples mind, which have probably had competition, just not as much like..) 45, 6 or 60.

Maybe i'm rambling however discuss.

Lukeee

Would think the 4 (formerly 404) has done well, Diamond (formerly Pete's Travel) have ran on there for years and today, Diamond run at a similar frequency to NXWM. Never really used them but Claribels must do well on the 94 to be able to renew the fleet regularly.

Sh4318

Quote from: monkeyjoe on July 04, 2013, 10:17:12 PM
Which routes or corridors over the years would you say have had the most competition and provoked the most agreesive reactions from NXWM or formely TWM.

Also as an idependant bus company and not ever been in a position to reasearch what makes certain routes more attractive than others.

For instance the 94 has had loads of operators come and go over the years, however say for example the 33 on just as busy corridor has probably had a lot less if any at all ( i realise city to perry barr corridor has competition).

However it seems it always the same corridors targeted i.e 50, 94 16. However less so on corridors such as (just examples mind, which have probably had competition, just not as much like..) 45, 6 or 60.

I'd say the 16 & 50, which have 3 operators each. Competition has previously been given on routes 74 & 87, by Diamond, but these no longer operator. The 89 as had competition all it's life, there was one point (before the Sandwell Bus Review) where it was operated by 4 companies, the 88 (now withdrawn) used to have competition. Thandi used to run the same level of daytime service as NXWM's 88, just between Londonderry & Birmingham
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Kevin

It does seem to be only the few "tried and tested" routes that consistently have competition, i.e. 16/94/50/404. I would say certain other routes had benefited from competition while it existed, e.g. Diamond used to run a, from memory, well loaded 51E service to Scott Arms at a fairly regular frequency, but unfortunately it didn't last, and they used to do well on the 9 from memory as well.

I do feel that operators wanting to set themselves up on a corridor should look more at establishing a niche of some sort, e.g. Central buses on the 28 should run the full route to Scott Arms, as only half the NX buses do that, or when Diamond ran the 64 to Bromsgrove (shame that one didn't last). Preparing to be shot down for this particular one, but I would also say like on the Bristol Rd, with the 61/63 and the 98, I would personally see that as a kind of competition of sorts, as I do know of some people living in Selly Oak who prefer to catch the 98 than the 61/63 into the city center, it might have something to do with the 98 route being a bit nicer than all the traffic on the Bristol Road and the smoother ride (and the buses not being Tridents)

I like what Claribels have done if I'm honest, they've established themselves on some key routes in east birmingham that gets them well noticed (and from what I've seen by the loadings, fairly well loved/appreciated) in that one particular area, if they suddenly started up on the 16 or (randomly) the 24 I doubt they would be as successful
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

The 33 and Pershore Road have both had competition, but both times it was Thandi!

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on July 05, 2013, 08:19:55 AM

The 33 and Pershore Road have both had competition, but both times it was Thandi!

Knew I remembered something else on the 33, couldn't quite picture it though
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

monkeyjoe

I am aware these routes have had competition, but hardly very much as compared to other routes. Also the point is competition that actually made any impact or caused for any reactions etc.

BU07 LGO

Central Buses once tried a 33 with battered old darts (none low floor)

fleetline6477

The following routes have benefited most from competiton, in my opinion.

16 which BCC began on de-regulation day in 1986

404 which began 20 years ago with Pete's Travel using 2 dodge minibuses (black and white loivery with red lettering)

WA 301 which when branded as Superline was run in partnership with Choice Travel 171 which both operators had branded new single decker vehicles. Shortly after Choice withdrew A2Z began operating and then Diamon Bus filled the gap after they went out of business.

Justin Tyme

I agree that in Birmingham the 16, 50 and 94 have consistently had the most competition for NXWM.

If monkeyjoe is asking why those routes have been targeted more than others, it is because they carry the most passengers.  I would guess that it is due to a combination reasons.

These services each have most of the busiest sections of route to themselves.  They also serve at least two shopping centres and densely-populated suburbs, so buses can fill up twice on each single journey.  The 50 in particular does not have a quiet section of route.  Also, apart from at Hamstead, there are no railways around to provide a quick journey to and from town.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Justin Tyme on July 05, 2013, 08:28:46 PM
I agree that in Birmingham the 16, 50 and 94 have consistently had the most competition for NXWM.

If monkeyjoe is asking why those routes have been targeted more than others, it is because they carry the most passengers.  I would guess that it is due to a combination reasons.

These services each have most of the busiest sections of route to themselves.  They also serve at least two shopping centres and densely-populated suburbs, so buses can fill up twice on each single journey.  The 50 in particular does not have a quiet section of route.  Also, apart from at Hamstead, there are no railways around to provide a quick journey to and from town.

Interesting you should say that, if that is case why do routes such as 16 & 94 get treated as second rate routes by the NXWM management. Compared to routes like 51,33, 104, 37  bla bla bla. Just need educating.

lynx1103

97 during the 1990s

Petes Travel
Serverse TraveL
Bharat travel
Frontline buses
Central connect

PM

Quote from: lynx1103 on July 05, 2013, 09:14:45 PM
97 during the 1990s

Petes Travel
Serverse TraveL
Bharat travel
Frontline buses
Central connect

central connect in the 1990s-they only came into being in 2006

monkeyjoe

I notice people love to correct others one  here. The point is being mad it is still context. The fact the comp came in a different period doesn't matter surely.  ;)

Steveminor

I think the 97 has benefitted the most tbh. When tame valley then Serverse first started the 96/97 ran a joint frequency of every 12 mins. This was then increased to every 10 mins jointly. At one point the 96 (to bluebell drive dropped to every 20 mins when the united group started on the 97 & the 97 increased to every 7 mins.
But look at the route now every 4 mins & running 24 hours. So yeah the 97 has definately benefitted.
Petes & Red Arrow both operated the 33 on a joint registration but the figures didn't add up & it was soon dropped I think the highest cash figure was about £70.

The 14 has had its share of competition, Burman travel, little Red Bus, Severse Travel (slightly modified to run to chelmsley wood & through duddeston as the 54 ironically this is now the route of the 14), Midland Rider, Cityspeed, redwing Ampm & Sunny Travel. Interestingly even back in the Serverse days the insurance companies were not happy with buses running along the Alum Rock Road
Back in their day I think Little Red Bus tried virtually every route in B'ham & even now they are the only company to ever compete on the 60.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk