News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Steve3229vp on July 20, 2020, 02:18:48 PM
I'm sure the 53 isn't noticed much and could be given a different number, I seem to remember the were two X20's in the City Centre for a few weeks a couple of years ago, The NXWM X20 was introduced before the Johnsons X20 was re-routed away from the City Centre
I do think however it's quite possible someone could get on a plain white E200 on the 53 towards the City Centre and think they are on the other 53 (97 route) to Bordesley Green if it was renumbered. As both routes share multiple stops along Bordesley Green East.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Steve3229vp on July 20, 2020, 01:58:22 PM
How about: 14 becoming 54
                  94 becoming 56
                  97 becoming 53
                X12 becoming X57
                X70 becoming X59

Seems like a lot more hassle to be honest. The 55 to 95 notion is only because it's in the same corridor as the 94.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

ellspurs

I thought the current trend was to just renumber everything as the 25 as it isn't confusing one bit?

Gareth

Quote from: Steve3229vp on July 20, 2020, 01:58:22 PM
How about: 14 becoming 54
                  94 becoming 56
                  97 becoming 53
                X12 becoming X57
                X70 becoming X59

No. There's no need. It's renumbering for the sake of renumbering and doesn't benefit anyone.

Stu

I'd go along with the suggestion of renumbering the 55 as 95, seems sensible enough to me.

Perhaps while we're at it, renumber the 70/X70 back as the 90? (With the current 70 journeys as 90A?)

If I recall correctly, it was only changed to the 70 when it was extended from Chelmsley Wood to Solihull, then it fit with the 71, 72 and 73 along Lode Lane.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on July 20, 2020, 06:57:17 PM
I'd go along with the suggestion of renumbering the 55 as 95, seems sensible enough to me.

Perhaps while we're at it, renumber the 70/X70 back as the 90? (With the current 70 journeys as 90A?)

If I recall correctly, it was only changed to the 70 when it was extended from Chelmsley Wood to Solihull, then it fit with the 71, 72 and 73 along Lode Lane.
Renumbering the 55 to 95 or 94 to 56 makes sense as they run on the same corridor and operate a joint service/frequency.

X70 doesn't though. However, if you were to renumber it I think it would be the X90 rather than 90 as that runs express to/from Bromford (or maybe X13 to fit in with the X12).
You are correct, that it was renumbered to 70 when extended to Solihull in 2013, to fit in with the 71/72.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Stu on July 20, 2020, 06:57:17 PM

Agree with this, not sure where the x12 came from, but I guess that's well established now. I'd of called it x26 or x92 with the coleshill one being x90

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Steve3229vp on July 20, 2020, 02:18:48 PM
... I seem to remember the were two X20's in the City Centre for a few weeks a couple of years ago, The NXWM X20 was introduced before the Johnsons X20 was re-routed away from the City Centre

True, and both X20s actually called at the same stop in Moor Street Queensway outbound.

On my final journey on Johnsons' service, on an Enviro 400MMC, it resulted in a few cases of "the wrong X20" when after picking up on Moor Street we turned towards Digbeth instead of going through the tunnel towards Smallbrook Queensway. 

WyreForestShuttle

X20
Quote from: Justin Tyme on July 21, 2020, 10:27:46 AM
True, and both X20s actually called at the same stop in Moor Street Queensway outbound.

On my final journey on Johnsons' service, on an Enviro 400MMC, it resulted in a few cases of "the wrong X20" when after picking up on Moor Street we turned towards Digbeth instead of going through the tunnel towards Smallbrook Queensway.
No surprise with Johnson's after Arriva the worst operator in The West Midlands County utterly hopeless when they served Blythe Valley Business Park on the X20 it was normal for them to either miss the Business Park out altogether or mess up the bus gate and many drivers refused to accept Nbus passes a complete joke of an operation compared the excellent A8 from a very professional operator in contrast Landflight

Pat

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on July 21, 2020, 11:58:07 AM
No surprise with Johnson's after Arriva the worst operator in The West Midlands County utterly hopeless when they served Blythe Valley Business Park on the X20 it was normal for them to either miss the Business Park out altogether or mess up the bus gate and many drivers refused to accept Nbus passes a complete joke of an operation.
On the contrary, I found Johnsons to provide an excellent service when I used them in Stratford.  The fares were excellent value and the vehicle was presented to a high standard too.

I have used most of the operators in the West Midlands, and Johnsons and Arriva are by no means the worst.  There are a few that I can name that don't provide a service close to what Johnsons and Arriva do.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Pat on July 21, 2020, 12:03:36 PM
On the contrary, I found Johnsons to provide an excellent service when I used them in Stratford.  The fares were excellent value and the vehicle was presented to a high standard too.

I have used most of the operators in the West Midlands, and Johnsons and Arriva are by no means the worst.  There are a few that I can name that don't provide a service close to what Johnsons and Arriva do.
You never had the pleasure of using them for work purposes to Blythe Valey Business Park @Pat as for using them regularly good riddance to bad rubbish the current service operated by Landflight is first class compered to Johnson's pure cowboys from my experience.

Justin Tyme

I perhaps should say that "the wrong X20" situation was because passengers for the NXWM service saw a double deck X20 turn up, but did not notice that it was going to Stratford and so got on.

In my experience on several services - within the TfWM area and on longer trips to Moreton-in-Marsh and Banbury - Johnsons have normally been dependable.  When breakdowns or delays do occur, their twitter account seems better than most operators in announcing them.

Pat

Quote from: Justin Tyme on July 21, 2020, 12:21:17 PM
I perhaps should say that "the wrong X20" situation was because passengers for the NXWM service saw a double deck X20 turn up, but did not notice that it was going to Stratford and so got on.
The problem these days is people don't look at the destination blind.  I once saw a young lady ask a driver where the bus was going, even though the blind in front of her said "INVERNESS" in a large font.

Busboy105

Quote from: Pat on July 21, 2020, 12:28:03 PM
The problem these days is people don't look at the destination blind.  I once saw a young lady ask a driver where the bus was going, even though the blind in front of her said "INVERNESS" in a large font.
I'll do you one better. There were two passengers talking about is this the 17... whilst on the 17. (The 17 in question is the Birmingham one. Birmingham to Tile Cross).

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on July 21, 2020, 12:49:16 PM
I'll do you one better. There were two passengers talking about is this the 17... whilst on the 17. (The 17 in question is the Birmingham one. Birmingham to Tile Cross).
I was on the 3 going to Merry Hill once.  At the Coppice Lane/The Boulevard junction, a young lad walked up to the driver and asked "is this going to Merry Hill?"  He'd been sat on it since Lion Farm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk