News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Euro2 vs Euro3 Dart

Started by PM, June 25, 2013, 02:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dart do you prefer?

Euro2
Euro3
Can't decide

PM

Basically to look at there is some slight difference when you compare say an s reg one and an 06 one-they just look different but I can't put my finger on what it is. The rear overhang almost looks slightly smaller and the whole vehicle shorter-im comparing the standard sized darts in both ranges. This got me thinking, which do people prefer the euro 3 or euro 2 dart. Personally, I prefer the euro 2 as it is smoother, the engine vibrates less when idle and it sounds better. Please compare like with like-ie euro 2 darts in worse nick therefore euro 3 darts-compare new with new.

Liverpool Street

Euro2 Dart. I just find older better in most cases. Cant beat a tiny Wight Nimbus or Handy bus. Old Merry Hill Travel was my glory days in memory. Smaller and older. Manual 'box. What fun summers I used to have all those years ago.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Lukeee

Both are good but I love the engine noise of a Euro 2 better, plus you can get one of the wonderful (looking) ALX200 Darts with a Euro 2 engine.

PM

Quote from: Lukeee on June 25, 2013, 08:30:18 PM
Both are good but I love the engine noise of a Euro 2 better, plus you can get one of the wonderful (looking) ALX200 Darts with a Euro 2 engine.

Do you like the ALX200 ones? I guess its down to choice but I always thought they looked a bit boxy especially from the back. Personally prefer the crusader body or the pointer 2 which is a timeless design and I would say projects a more modern image when in good condition than anything adl offer today

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Peter123 on June 26, 2013, 05:08:26 PM

Do you like the ALX200 ones? I guess its down to choice but I always thought they looked a bit boxy especially from the back. Personally prefer the crusader body or the pointer 2 which is a timeless design and I would say projects a more modern image when in good condition than anything adl offer today

ALX200 bodies make me sick. An ugly squashed up Trident is all it is. Transbus Darts are the best looking, Euro2 best engines IMHO.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Dylan4579

Quote from: The Rat on June 26, 2013, 06:12:22 PM

ALX200 bodies make me sick. An ugly squashed up Trident is all it is. Transbus Darts are the best looking, Euro2 best engines IMHO.
I love ALX200 bodies! My faveroite bus in the fleet is 20274, because it's ALX200, makes good noises, and the fact that the seats still have the stagecoah vinils on them.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: dgss1 on June 26, 2013, 06:45:47 PM

I love ALX200 bodies! My faveroite bus in the fleet is 20274, because it's ALX200, makes good noises, and the fact that the seats still have the stagecoah vinils on them.

You make a fair point, but you'll never convert me lol.

Don't you reckon the front resembles a pug? (Squashed up fat dog)
until it cought fire

PM

20274 has recently had new blue moquette and the stagecoach stuff removed tho u can still see it by the back shelf if you look through the rear window and yeah I think the alx200 was hardly alexander's success story of the century. Personally though the ugliest dart bodies must be some of the stupid uvg designs and marshall ones as well. The evolution is a nice body for the dart as is the nimbus. East lancs low floor bodies arent too bad imo but must admit the el2000 looks awful. Like the original dartline body.

I do think though that buses like darts and the modern day successor are brilliant buses for urban routes and personally if i were in charge of a major urban company I would be providing dart sized buses on most routes on increased frequencies as this has been proven to drive up passenger numbers and reduce vandalism. Know ppl will disagree with me on this one :P

PM

Quote from: The Rat on June 26, 2013, 07:00:02 PM

I will agree that 274 makes good noises but I just think the interior of these buses is a bit basic-alx range of bodies have poor heating, no cove panels or anything whereas with the pointer plaxton went to a great effort to ensure a good spacious interior with good heating etc

Dylan4579

Quote from: Peter123 on June 26, 2013, 07:03:37 PM

I will agree that 274 makes good noises but I just think the interior of these buses is a bit basic-alx range of bodies have poor heating, no cove panels or anything whereas with the pointer plaxton went to a great effort to ensure a good spacious interior with good heating etc
I used 274 to get to school in the snow and it was warm engough

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Peter123 on June 26, 2013, 07:02:01 PM

20274 has recently had new blue moquette and the stagecoach stuff removed tho u can still see it by the back shelf if you look through the rear window and yeah I think the alx200 was hardly alexander's success story of the century. Personally though the ugliest dart bodies must be some of the stupid uvg designs and marshall ones as well. The evolution is a nice body for the dart as is the nimbus. East lancs low floor bodies arent too bad imo but must admit the el2000 looks awful. Like the original dartline body.

I do think though that buses like darts and the modern day successor are brilliant buses for urban routes and personally if i were in charge of a major urban company I would be providing dart sized buses on most routes on increased frequencies as this has been proven to drive up passenger numbers and reduce vandalism. Know ppl will disagree with me on this one :P

I will agree, Pete. Although this won't work for all routes, I think if the frequency is about 7/8 minutes with deckers, it can benefit from a 5 minute service with MPD's etc.

I did enjoy the Paxton Pointers, more thought went into their design then ALX's I expect. Its what you get when you find designs using a board of people.
until it cought fire

PM

Quote from: dgss1 on June 26, 2013, 07:16:25 PM

I used 274 to get to school in the snow and it was warm engough

Fair enough maybe 274 is an exception but generally I would say that plaxton bodies of the time had better full length heating which many alx bodies didnt have unless specified by the operator as extra

PM

Quote from: The Rat on June 26, 2013, 07:16:57 PM

I will agree, Pete. Although this won't work for all routes, I think if the frequency is about 7/8 minutes with deckers, it can benefit from a 5 minute service with MPD's etc.

I did enjoy the Paxton Pointers, more thought went into their design then ALX's I expect. Its what you get when you find designs using a board of people.

Glad you agree tho maybe not using mpds necessarily but say using super pointer darts/full sized darts/e200s/e300s is a good plan which some operators are cottoning on to-first glasgow with its lightweight single deck e300s and the growing popularity of full length versa-which i hate by the way. I just think double deckers are a stupid way to deal with growth-all routes can cope with long single decks and if they can't increase the frequency and watch more people use buses which use less fuel and are subject to less vandalism. But why you would choose b7rles as your single decks now thats the mystery to me. With the new b7rle what volvo are saying is that here was once a heavyweight chassis which we've tried to make lighter so as it uses less fuel. But it still is heavy and uses more fuel than an e300/sb200 so why on earth would you buy one when it costs more cos lets face it with the current b7rle you wouldnt be buying it for performance nor with the new wrights body for looks either

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Peter123 on June 26, 2013, 07:23:37 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 26, 2013, 07:16:57 PM

Glad you agree tho maybe not using mpds necessarily but say using super pointer darts/full sized darts/e200s/e300s is a good plan which some operators are cottoning on to-first glasgow with its lightweight single deck e300s and the growing popularity of full length versa-which i hate by the way. I just think double deckers are a stupid way to deal with growth-all routes can cope with long single decks and if they can't increase the frequency and watch more people use buses which use less fuel and are subject to less vandalism. But why you would choose b7rles as your single decks now thats the mystery to me. With the new b7rle what volvo are saying is that here was once a heavyweight chassis which we've tried to make lighter so as it uses less fuel. But it still is heavy and uses more fuel than an e300/sb200 so why on earth would you buy one when it costs more cos lets face it with the current b7rle you wouldnt be buying it for performance nor with the new wrights body for looks either

That's exactly what I'm saying. Personally, I think the B7RLE is poor. and a poor choice too for operators for the reasons you state above. Not only that Volvo are trying to be clever by giving it Electric Brakes and a 'Really Low Entrance' - which are crap which ever way you swing it. The overhangs used to be designed to clear curbs but these - argh. Don't get me wrong I like to drive them but they make no sense.

I'd rather see a variation, a proper variation, of single deckers, E300's, Volvos etc etc like back in the day. But now the desicions are poor.
until it cought fire

Lukeee

To be fair, the Pointer 2 is a better bus to ride on and does feel more spacious, but its not as nice looking as the ALX200, really wish they carried on producing them instead of the Pointer 2.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk