News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Fall in passenger journey's in WM

Started by winston, June 20, 2013, 04:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: The Rat on June 21, 2013, 10:44:24 PM
Quote from: John on June 21, 2013, 10:35:41 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 21, 2013, 10:33:39 PM
Do all services bar Colmore Row services, use Moor Street Queensway and/or Digbeth - in some way shape or form?

The 74/75 does not. Turns around Old Square
kI

Phew, when I saw your reply I thought someone was going to be clever and say "The 11C doesn't".

Ah, forgot about those services. Still seems like a serious amount of services on small roads. Hm, I guess Tony was right about having a bus station. It take the whole size of Digbeth haha.

There is "1" other NXWM that doesn't, Then you have the 144 & 146

ilovetea4370

Quote from: The Rat on June 21, 2013, 09:31:25 AM
Quote from: trident4370 on June 20, 2013, 11:17:49 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 20, 2013, 10:50:16 PM
Quote from: Stu on June 20, 2013, 07:51:30 PM
... now I work in Sparkbrook, ...

How's that working out for you?

You have suprised me, Sir.

But like you've seen on the Bristol Road, when it was going round Corporation Street, every bus had a standing load coming into Brum, but now - yeah it's busy but, still. Deffinate reduction.

One thing I don't understand is if the 45, 47, 82 and 87 can all be re-routed back into the heart of the city, surely a key service like the Bristol Road's can fit in somewhere, even if they just followed the 45 loop and stopped at the old 33/51 Albert St stop, it would still be an improvement and help people with connections?

The 35 also seems to be leaving City much much emptier now, although that one I am not complaining about!

Oh no doubt they will change it, again. I think if the BR does go up Carr's lane, they'll say there is too many buses up there as it is. Many pedestrians and buses is a recipe for disaster.

There is that, I forgot about the traffic problems, (I was thinking more about places to stop the buses), especially after 5PM it is dangerous on Carrs Lane with all the pedestrians that are squashed in, if you ask me the whole thing has just been one big cock up from start to finish!

John

winston

Quote from: andy on June 21, 2013, 08:55:52 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 21, 2013, 09:49:49 AM

I know mate! All it takes is a 6 to overtake a 37, pull in at an angle and half the city comes to a halt. Either that or get a 47 stopped behind a 45 up the top and that'll fudge everything up as well. Very narrow road for that volume of PCV's.

I said when the initial changes were made that rerouting half the city's buses onto a narrow road with not enough pavement space, too many bus stops, a busy pedestrian crossing and a tight angular turn (just so you could put a tram that only runs on one route in their place) would be a total balls up, and sure enough it is. How have Centro responded? By putting even more buses up there!!

Basically buses have been pushed further & further out of the City Centre over the last few years, which now make them less convenient to intending passengers. In some instances you now have to walk half way across the City to pick your bus up

nitromatt1

Quote from: Winston on June 22, 2013, 02:11:01 PM

I know mate! All it takes is a 6 to overtake a 37, pull in at an angle and half the city comes to a halt. Either that or get a 47 stopped behind a 45 up the top and that'll fudge everything up as well. Very narrow road for that volume of PCV's.

I said when the initial changes were made that rerouting half the city's buses onto a narrow road with not enough pavement space, too many bus stops, a busy pedestrian crossing and a tight angular turn (just so you could put a tram that only runs on one route in their place) would be a total balls up, and sure enough it is. How have Centro responded? By putting even more buses up there!!

Basically buses have been pushed further & further out of the City Centre over the last few years, which now make them less convenient to intending passengers. In some instances you now have to walk half way across the City to pick your bus up

Or hop on a bus that goes across the city centre such as the 16 like I do

Liverpool Street

Quote from: John on June 22, 2013, 02:06:11 PM
Quote from: Tony on June 22, 2013, 01:18:09 PM
There is "1" other NXWM that doesn't

Ah yeah, just got that  :)

Me too.

Haha, nice one Tony.

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 22, 2013, 04:24:00 PM

Or hop on a bus that goes across the city centre such as the 16 like I do

The 16 is damn handy. However, I'd rather walk as on this job you'll get a middle age spread after 6 months on the job! Lol!
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Sh4318

Hit the nail on the head there. I think out of every area, there should be a least one bus that serves the majority of the bus stops in Birmingham. I.e. X64, 82/87, 16
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Shaun on June 22, 2013, 10:07:21 PM

Hit the nail on the head there. I think out of every area, there should be a least one bus that serves the majority of the bus stops in Birmingham. I.e. X64, 82/87, 16

I'd rather the buses terminate short, and they should have a shuttle around the city. We used to have 101/102 (Clockwise/Anti-Clockwise, if you could figure out which is which) going back a good few years IIRC. Pure idleness in my opinion but hey.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Sh4318

Quote from: The Rat on June 22, 2013, 10:20:08 PM

I'd rather the buses terminate short, and they should have a shuttle around the city. We used to have 101/102 (Clockwise/Anti-Clockwise, if you could figure out which is which) going back a good few years IIRC. Pure idleness in my opinion but hey.

Or the 77, if anyone remembers that. I think it's a bit irritating how some of my local bus routes (83, 89, 129), which served the Bullring & Markets, now terminate at Colmore Row. At least I still have the 80 & 87
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Tony

Never the 102.

The first Centrebus was un-numbered when run by those original Commer minibuses. It became the 101 when the single deck fleetlines were used and for a short time an anticlockwise 100 centrebus was tried. These then got combined into two normal service. The 76 which was what is now basically the current 101, was combined the 101 and the 100 was combined with the 3(what is now the 24) to create the 103 which went the opposite way around the city

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Shaun on June 22, 2013, 10:24:27 PM

Or the 77, if anyone remembers that. I think it's a bit irritating how some of my local bus routes (83, 89, 129), which served the Bullring & Markets, now terminate at Colmore Row. At least I still have the 80 & 87

I know exactly what you mean.

How good would it be if they totally cancelled this pathetic tram idea and re-opened Corporation Street and the city centre went back to normal?

That'll be what I'd do. BUT ALAS! NO ONE EVER ADMITS MISTAKES, ESPECIALLY NOT MANAGEMENT.

Quote from: Tony on June 22, 2013, 10:30:31 PM

Never the 102.

The first Centrebus was un-numbered when run by those original Commer minibuses. It became the 101 when the single deck fleetlines were used and for a short time an anticlockwise 100 centrebus was tried. These then got combined into two normal service. The 76 which was what is now basically the current 101, was combined the 101 and the 100 was combined with the 3(what is now the 24) to create the 103 which went the opposite way around the city

Thanks Tony, I used "IIRC" for that reason. My memory clearly isn't as good as yours, Super Man.  ;)
until it cought fire

Mike K

Criminal it was too, renumbering such an old and historic route as the 3 to the 103. And as for the 24, I still think of that as Warstock via Showell Green Lane.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on June 22, 2013, 10:37:24 PM
Criminal it was too, renumbering such an old and historic route as the 3 to the 103. And as for the 24, I still think of that as Warstock via Showell Green Lane.

Was that operated by Yardley Wood? If I'm honest with you I cant remember what I did this morning let alone all those years ago bus routes. I was more interested in females in my youth then the 103 route I can tell you that for free i'm telling ya. haha
until it cought fire

Mike K

Quote from: The Rat on June 22, 2013, 10:42:20 PM

Was that operated by Yardley Wood? If I'm honest with you I cant remember what I did this morning let alone all those years ago bus routes. I was more interested in females in my youth then the 103 route I can tell you that for free i'm telling ya. haha

Yep, in the old days the 13, 24 and 38 were the Yardley Wood Road routes. I too was more interested in women than buses in my youth, but I'm married with kids now so alcohol and an interest in buses are two of my few pleasures in life.  :D

Tony

Quote from: The Rat on June 22, 2013, 10:42:20 PM

There was some more silliness around the same time.

Someone at Yardley Wood wanted all their routes to have single digit numbers, so the three Yardley Wood Road services which were the 13, 24 & 38 were renumbered. The 24 became the 2 (and still is now). The 38 & 13 he combined and he wanted them numbered 3, But Quinton which operated the 3 (as per above refused to renumber it) so the new YW service became the S3 with short workings being the S3E. It was only when the 100 & 3 combined to make the 103 that YW were able to drop the S and leave it as just the 3 which it is now, but much extended.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk