News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Inspectors Duties.

Started by Stuharris 6360, June 17, 2013, 06:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

A question, possibly for Tony.

Today was waiting for my friend at Haden Hill Leisure centre , i noticed that an Inspector was stood at the nearby bus stop. A bus appeared and the inspector got on. He seemed to open the driving cab door and issue a ticket and then got off again.

He seemed to do this with every bus that arrived,

Can i ask what he was doing as he didn't check any tickets?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 17, 2013, 06:21:58 PM

Today was waiting for my friend at Haden Hill Leisure centre , i noticed that an Inspector was stood at the nearby bus stop. A bus appeared and the inspector got on. He seemed to open the driving cab door and issue a ticket and then got off again.

Sounds like he was taking a Timed Receipt/Inspectors Ticket which gives various details which he then writes on his clip board. All for service monitoring. It also relays the information to HQ? that gives the location of where the inspector was at. If it was a service inspector they usually dont do revenue checks.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: The Rat on June 17, 2013, 06:30:07 PM

Sounds like he was taking a Timed Receipt/Inspectors Ticket which gives various details which he then writes on his clip board. All for service monitoring. It also relays the information to HQ? that gives the location of where the inspector was at. If it was a service inspector they usually dont do revenue checks.

yes he did have a clipboard with him and was continually writing on it.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 17, 2013, 06:57:45 PM

Service Monitoring, more then likely then mate  ;)
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: The Rat on June 17, 2013, 07:01:58 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 17, 2013, 06:57:45 PM

Service Monitoring, more then likely then mate  ;)

Thanks!  :)

fleetline6477

What is the difference between an Inspector and a Route Manager?

I remember some months ago I was in Wolverhampton waiting for a 39 to Walsall. The 79 came in first and loaded a handful of passengers including a group of young teenage boys who clearly (by the way they showed them) had out of date tickets. I saw an Inspector coming towards me and explained. He turned his back to show his Route Manager hi viz and said he was a Route Manager and it was nothing to do with him.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: fleetline6477 on June 17, 2013, 09:45:54 PM

I remember some months ago I was in Wolverhampton waiting for a 39 to Walsall. The 79 came in first and loaded a handful of passengers including a group of young teenage boys who clearly (by the way they showed them) had out of date tickets. I saw an Inspector coming towards me and explained. He turned his back to show his Route Manager hi viz and said he was a Route Manager and it was nothing to do with him.

Well i have no idea what the official job description is of each, however where revenue is concerned, i would have thought that it should be up to all employees to make sure that passengers have the correct tickets, after all i would say a Route Manager is judged by the revenue that is being made on the routes he manages?

Andrew1991

possibly the same inspector did the same on the 246 but he got on the bus on Stourbridge road (Dudley) and got off in Stourbridge bus station

richie

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 17, 2013, 09:51:30 PM

Well i have no idea what the official job description is of each, however where revenue is concerned, i would have thought that it should be up to all employees to make sure that passengers have the correct tickets, after all i would say a Route Manager is judged by the revenue that is being made on the routes he manages?

So you would expect this lone person to check the buses for tickets and challenge the 3 music playing drug smoking fare dodging hooligans at the back of the upper saloon? It's not going to work is it?

fleetline6477

Quote from: richie on June 18, 2013, 01:19:49 AM

So you would expect this lone person to check the buses for tickets and challenge the 3 music playing drug smoking fare dodging hooligans at the back of the upper saloon? It's not going to work is it?

They weren't 'drug smoking fare dodging hooigans' they were kids trying it on, who having got away with it will be motivated to keep trying it on. This lone person had a radio plus the driver and there would have been plenty of other people on hand in Wolverhampton should there be a risk. The failure of this route manager to act meant that in the event they should go on to cause trouble the driver would be the lone person away from the bus station where other people could easily and quickly be called on.

richie

Quote from: fleetline6477 on June 18, 2013, 12:41:37 PM
Quote from: richie on June 18, 2013, 01:19:49 AM

They weren't 'drug smoking fare dodging hooigans' they were kids trying it on, who having got away with it will be motivated to keep trying it on. This lone person had a radio plus the driver and there would have been plenty of other people on hand in Wolverhampton should there be a risk. The failure of this route manager to act meant that in the event they should go on to cause trouble the driver would be the lone person away from the bus station where other people could easily and quickly be called on.

Who is he going to call on and what would this called on person do? Maybe a gang of drivers could have beaten or intimidated the money out of them? And all taken up new employment! Maybe the police could have been called and taken the bus out of service for 3 quid ? And as they were kids would it be fair to leave them stranded if they had no money?

Liverpool Street

Service Inspector - Maintains service by liassing [sp] with AVL to try and keep the service running with correct service gaps
(Certain services aren't managed by AVL, for instance)

Revenue Inspector - Checks tickets of passengers. Sometimes travels on one bus or waits at certain stops and variates along the road. I believe they have the power to also book drivers if running early. Rarely done now in my experience.

Route/Road Manager - The inspectors boss. Their job is to manage inspectors and to make above management known about poor running times and problem areas.

Road Rep - A nominated driver of whom is approachable to be spoken to by other drivers about problem areas/passengers etc. They can then relay this information to the management in meetings.

The above is as basic as I can make it.

And we've been told the only people to deal with passenger discrepancies are the Revenue Team. This hard working team wear orange hi-Viz(s). Unless of course the passenger is particularly troublesome then Service Inspectors can get involved. Safety is the number 1 priority in all circumstances.
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk