News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Notorious traffic hotspots

Started by Kevin, June 15, 2013, 01:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan4579

alum rock road makes the most money in the UK for wardens from parking fines

wbdriver

On the WB5 route, you can hit traffic nearly everywhere, including:

All Saints Way, West Bromwich - can be busy evening peak

Scott Arms (both directions) - morning peak it can queue back down to Buffet Island, and has taken me 30 minutes from Pheasey to Scott Arms before! evening peak can queue back down to the malt shovel pub, although if the motorway's screwed it can queue to the Crematorium and beyond!

Queslett - as above

Kingstanding - dual carriageway with parking on one lane both directions plus traffic turning right blocks everything up. Plus the Circle.

New Oscott - especially on a Saturday

Coming in and out of Sutton.
an empty bus is a happy driver.

Liverpool Street

Bristol Road:

• Northfield - Black Horse Junction. Traffic backed up to at least Lockwood Road.
  • Selly Oak - Edgbaston Park Road. Numerous traffic lights causes congestion across all times of day.
  • Holloway Head Island - Horsefair. Suffolk Street Queensway is on Green light too long causing the island to get congested blocking up Bath Row and Bristol Street.
  • Bristol Road South - Tessall Lane Jnct. Morning rush hour you can lose 6 minutes due to poor signal timings and sheer volume of traffic.

And on Longbridge Lane you get severe traffic due to road works out side of the new Sainsburys down by Longbridge Station.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Liverpool Street

And not forgetting Quinton Church in morning and afternoon rush hour. Terrible.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

nitromatt1

Quote from: The Rat on June 17, 2013, 03:49:57 PM

I had already mentioned that one

Liverpool Street

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 17, 2013, 04:58:04 PM

Sorry, hadn't noticed there is 2 pages on this topic. Easy mistake, let me off  ;)
until it cought fire

nitromatt1

Quote from: The Rat on June 17, 2013, 05:27:05 PM

Sorry, hadn't noticed there is 2 pages on this topic. Easy mistake, let me off  ;)

Don't worry I forgive you ;) ;)

Stu

The Warwick Road through Tyseley and Greet is bad at the best of times most mornings heading towards City on the 37, due to the cars on the 'school run', but this morning took the biscuit! Roadworks at the junction with Seeleys Road meant the outbound-lane from City was closed, and temporary traffic lights were in place; traffic towards the city was crawling at a near standstill all the way back to Acocks Green village.

As a result it took me over an hour to get to work, by which time I was over half an hour late. I'd have been better off walking! Why can't they carry these works out at the weekend or late in the evening when there is less traffic?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Mike K

Mr Rat, how do you find the Harborne Road when you're on the 22/3/4/9? Hasn't been so bad the last few weeks but it can be shocking towards city in the morning peak. Travelled on a B5 a while back and from Waitrose Harborne all the way to the White Swan it never got out of electric mode the traffic was crawling that slowly.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on June 17, 2013, 09:54:06 PM

Mr Rat, how do you find the Harborne Road when you're on the 22/3/4/9? Hasn't been so bad the last few weeks but it can be shocking towards city in the morning peak. Travelled on a B5 a while back and from Waitrose Harborne all the way to the White Swan it never got out of electric mode the traffic was crawling that slowly.

Hi Mike,

As you have said, rush hour is sickening in Harborne. For some reason the morning rush is nothing compared to afternoon. But as I'm sure you're aware you've got plenty of running time on that side of town, but if you want some Hybrid Thrash you've got no chance lol

Of course it doesn't help people illegally parking along the high street either.

War Lane can be a bit of a pickle sometimes. As can Westbourne Road off Calthorpe Road can be annoying.

And of course 5ways!!!!

Just curious, where do you live, Mike? I'm not asking for an address but general area lol  ;)
until it cought fire

Mike K

Hello Rat, or should we call you the artist formerly known as BCM :)? I live not far from the shops by the island where War Lane, Northfield Road and Fellows Lane all meet, so I'm very familiar with the 22, 23 and 99 routes. And tired of a 4 mile daily commute that can take 50 mins to an hour on a really bad day!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on June 18, 2013, 09:23:21 PM
Hello Rat, or should we call you the artist formerly known as BCM :)? I live not far from the shops by the island where War Lane, Northfield Road and Fellows Lane all meet, so I'm very familiar with the 22, 23 and 99 routes. And tired of a 4 mile daily commute that can take 50 mins to an hour on a really bad day!

Ahh. I'll keep an eye out for you. And BCM? Birmingham Corp. Mole? I'm trying to think of various rodents lol.

The rat name came about by my nickname, outside of work of course  ;)

I think the Hybrids are over-hyped now, I think they should go on other routes now to show green buses to other areas of Birmingham. Then again, put them on The Rock.. maybe not.
until it cought fire

Trident 4609

Some people on the forum think your someone who used to be on the forum working at BC garage called BC Moblile hense BCM!

Mike K

Quote from: The Rat on June 18, 2013, 09:33:54 PM
Quote from: Mike K on June 18, 2013, 09:23:21 PM

Ahh. I'll keep an eye out for you. And BCM? Birmingham Corp. Mole? I'm trying to think of various rodents lol.

The rat name came about by my nickname, outside of work of course  ;)

I think the Hybrids are over-hyped now, I think they should go on other routes now to show green buses to other areas of Birmingham. Then again, put them on The Rock.. maybe not.

Please don't be suggesting that to management! People round here, including my folks who also live locally remark on how much more pleasant bus travel is since the Hybrids were introduced. They're well looked after by BC in terms of removing vandalism etc. and whilst it's a far from perfect route, the buses just do not get trashed to the same extent as say those on the 14. And even the 99s are decent these days.

Anyway, back to traffic hotspots. The lights by Highgate Fire Station on the 50 from city always used to be a problem. Buses often went into the right hand lane (which was for turning right only) but went straight ahead when the lights turned green to jump the queues. Do they still do this or is that a manoeuvre that would get you the sack if you were DQM'd these days?

nitromatt1

I will the Birmingham New Road and Sedgley at peak times to that list

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk