News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Notorious traffic hotspots

Started by Kevin, June 15, 2013, 01:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Similar to the "most unreliable services" thread, just somewhere to vent at the poorly planned road junctions that exist around the region.

I'll start with Perry Barr, especially the Wellington Road roundabout coming from town. It's coming to the point sometimes that it genuinely is quicker even for people who have trouble walking to get the 934/5/6/997 to Welhead Lane and walk back to the One Stop / Train station / 11 stops
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

vinh1000

Those traffic lights are a bit stupid with 10/20 seconds for the traffic turning left & right onto aldridge road and at least a minute to go straight

Notice a lot of time there is traffic in the Markets area especially the light for the buses turning left out

ilovetea4370

I'd say the lights by the Red Lion pub junction on Vicarage Road were programmed by a man with no eyes, your lucky if you get 10 seconds to get across westbound before a 90 second wait... Especially when the King Edward kids come out, the traffic has been backed up to the high street before now, it also contributes to the amount of "Not In Service" 11's you see in the evening!

D10

Can I nominate a good chunk of the Central Birmingham road network. The stretch of road up from Moat Lane (Digbeth Gyratory), then Park Street and Moor Street by Selfridges, then along Moor Street Queensway.

It seems to be choked with traffic and buses all day long and has been like that since the new Bull Ring opened. Of course this is only one way, going the other way seems to be no problem because of a lesser traffic flow.

Lukeee

Scott Arms junction, always traffic there. Also Various sections of the Chester Road can get rather fun, especially the bit between Spitfire island and the Baggot Arms (which dosent help the 28 route).

Trident 4609

Afternoon peak time on Birmingham New Road and Wednesfield Road in and out of Wolverhampton builds up heavy with traffic.

But so do most busy routes. Thats where the famous saying about buses comes in "You wait ages for a bus and 2 come together" but instead you find 3-4 in a row instead

Ash

The Soho road is always congested in the daytime between Hockley and the WBA football ground. To travel around 3/4 miles it can take anything from 45 minutes to an hour hence the need for the 74E and 75E to get buses doing constant short workings to try and split them up as their often in bunches.

nitromatt1

Anywhere between Quinton and Halesowen becomes clogged with traffic at peak times without fail, towards Birmingham in the morning and out of Birmingham every evening about 4:30-7pm

Westy

Around 5 to 530 on the Bloxwich to Walsall route, due to delays in Bloxwich High St.

When I used to use the route more regular, that is.

Rob H

Down the Road from me Sheaf Lane gets slight delays on school days between 7:30-9:00am going towards Solihull
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

John

Warren Farm Road and Hawthorn Road junction can be awful sometimes. 2 33s can get stuck together there, but it is a lot better now since the light sequence have been changed.

Sheldon can also be bad at the lights at The Wheatsheaf

Rob H

Quote from: John on June 16, 2013, 05:27:01 PM
Sheldon can also be bad at the lights at The Wheatsheaf

I can be a witness to that :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

Stu

Quote from: trident4370 on June 15, 2013, 09:21:45 PM
I'd say the lights by the Red Lion pub junction on Vicarage Road were programmed by a man with no eyes, your lucky if you get 10 seconds to get across westbound before a 90 second wait... Especially when the King Edward kids come out, the traffic has been backed up to the high street before now, it also contributes to the amount of "Not In Service" 11's you see in the evening!

I'll second that! If ever there was a strong candidate for a junction with 'smart traffic lights' (that detect when a bus is approaching and adjust accordingly) then that must be one of them!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

j789

As mentioned elsewhere, another candidate is the Black horse junction in Northfield. This can be bad all week and not just during peaks. I cant understand how the two sets of lights have remained unsequenced for so long

ilovetea4370

Quote from: Stu on June 16, 2013, 08:50:12 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on June 15, 2013, 09:21:45 PM

I'll second that! If ever there was a strong candidate for a junction with 'smart traffic lights' (that detect when a bus is approaching and adjust accordingly) then that must be one of them!

I agree, something needs to be done although as the council have only just bodged the timings up on them once, I can't see them doing anything else there for a while again now!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk