News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Off Topic Western Greyhound depot fire

Started by winston, May 13, 2013, 11:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: BU07 LGO on January 28, 2014, 12:45:40 PM
I have always read good things about them but something seems suspect..

This was posted by a WGL driver on another forum:

There is an excess of speculation and a distinct lack of fact with regard to WGL in the public domain. There are also many assumptions about the company that simply aren't true. As much as I would like to correct some of this, due to the company's rather restrictive social media policy I can't.

I will say that little surprises me anymore at WGL, and this fire certainly did not come as a surprise. I am not saying the company has anything to do with it, but I am saying that life is always eventful down in Cornwall.

JoNi

You must have a sixth sense Winston as a friend advised me all their double deckers were taken off the road the other night after bus 445 (ex ELBG 17445) Y445 NHK was blown over at Carland Cross in the high winds. Driver unharmed, just very shaken.
I can't find any pictures on the internet only a mention in this blog which says it was partially blown over.
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/LIVE-BLOG-Severe-storm-hits-Cornwall/story-20562308-detail/story.html

andyr

Western greyhound double deckers have been on the road all week..Im down in Newquay and have seen them everyday..Many are still in Stagecoach colours and retain stagecoach fleetnumbers and in most cases advertisments for the Loin King at Londons Lyceum Theatre.

winston

Maybe of interest to some:

Western Greyhound have ceased trading as of midnight last night due to cash flow issues & being unable to renew their insurance:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-31866340

Chris2301

I used western greyhound all the time when i lived in cornwall. Shame to see it go. But looks like first kernow will take over services.

StourportSam

Quote from: Winston on March 13, 2015, 11:22:51 AM

Western Greyhound have ceased trading as of midnight last night due to cash flow issues & being unable to renew their insurance:

Unbelievable, I was down there about 3 weeks ago and it seemed to be a bright new start with those tiny London DAFs, scrapping the 510, new website etc.

Having read a lot about Velvet when the sale took place however, I did wonder if it would end like this.

winston

Quote from: StourportSam on March 13, 2015, 08:53:22 PM

Unbelievable, I was down there about 3 weeks ago and it seemed to be a bright new start with those tiny London DAFs, scrapping the 510, new website etc.

Having read a lot about Velvet when the sale took place however, I did wonder if it would end like this.

It sounds like their insurance company has forced the closure, they want the insurance payment upfront which WG can't afford to pay.

Tony

Quote from: Winston on March 13, 2015, 09:16:17 PM

It sounds like their insurance company has forced the closure, they want the insurance payment upfront which WG can't afford to pay.

I believe that the  insurance premium rose from c£38,000 to an unaffordable 6 figure sum

the trainbasher

From the Cornwall Council website

Previous Western Greyhound service

Route

Replacement service

St Austell - Grampound – Truro

First - 520 New Arrangement

Newquay - St Dennis - St Austell

First 21 - Service already in place and Evenings and Sundays

St Austell – Truro

First - 522 New Arrangement

Fowey - St Austell - Mevagissey - Heligan Gardens

First 24 - Service already in place but will add evenings and Sundays in line 524

Fowey - Par - St Austell - Mevagissey

First - 525 New Arrangement with revised time

Newquay - Eden Project

First - 527 New Arrangement with revised time

St Austell - Bodmin

First 27 - Service already in place add evenings and Sundays in line 529

Truro - Probus - Tregony - Portscatho - St Mawes

First - 550 New Arrangement possible revised time

Truro - Probus - Tregony - Veryan

First - combined with the 550 new arrangement

Bodmin Parkway - Padstow

Plymouth City Bus - 75 new arrangement with revised times

Newquay – Padstow

First - 556 new arrangement

Newquay - Mayfield – Pentire

First - 558 new arrangement

Wadebridge - Camelford

Stagecoach - 584 new arrangement

Newquay - Truro

First - 585 new arrangement with revised times

Newquay - Crantock - Cubert - Perranporth - St Agnes - Truro

First 87 - Service already in place, varied to include St Agnes

Liskeard - Bodmin (Bodmin to St Columb Major leg removed)

Plymouth City Bus - 75 new arrangement with revised timetable

Wadebridge - St Columb Major - Truro

First 90,91 & 92 - Service already in place but with variations to service St Columb Major

Wadebridge - Boscastle - Bude

Stagecoach - 595 new arrangement

Newquay - St Columb Major - Fraddon - Summercourt - Truro

First 90,91 & 92 - Service already in place but with variations to service St Columb Major

LIS105

Liskeard - school run

Group Travel - New arrangement until end of academic year

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

Quote from: Tony on March 13, 2015, 09:36:25 PM
Quote from: Winston on March 13, 2015, 09:16:17 PM

I believe that the  insurance premium rose from c£38,000 to an unaffordable 6 figure sum

I assume the competition from First also had an effect on WG's cash flows, but it doesn't seem to be the new owners at fault. I'm sure there's other people the staff have to thank for losing their jobs I.e. the arsonist that set fire to WG vehicles on a number of occasions.

Approx 6 WG buses have been sighted at First Kernow's Camborne depot, no doubt on loan to cover the extra work First will be taling on

winston

BU07 LGO

Sad news :( they looked to be doing so well only a few years ago buying their new enviros

Bryan

An article in Bus and Coach on replacement operators following the demise of Western Greyhound

http://www.busandcoach.com/news/articles/first-and-other-operators-step-in-after-western-greyhound-collapse/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+busandcoach+%28Busandcoach.com+Latest+News%29

Also interesting is the following Notice of a Public Enquiry to be made, which was mentioned in the Bus and Coach article:

Public Inquiry (50345) to be held at Jubilee House, Croydon Street, Bristol, BS5 0GB, on 23
March 2015 commencing at 10:30(Previous Publication:(2525)

PH0006741 SI
WESTERN GREYHOUND LTD
Director(s): MICHAEL BISHOP.
WESTERN HOUSE, ST. AUSTELL STREET, SUMMERCOURT NEWQUAY TR8 5DR

PSV -S17 - Consideration of disciplinary action under Section 17 (The PublicPassenger Vehicles Act 1981)

PSV -Sch.3 - Consideration of Transport Managers Repute under Schedule 3 (The Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981)

PSV - S28  -Consideration of disciplinary action under Section 28 (The Transport Act 1985)

PSV - S111 - Consideration of disciplinary action under Section 111 (The Transport Act 1985)

mikestone

It might have mentioned that Western Greyhound never ran the Velvet routes after registration, although  they did before, Xelabus taking them over instead.

Rob H

Here is a farewell tribute video to Western Greyhound on YouTube by a lad who I follow.

60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk