News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bus shelters being replaced... Why?

Started by B.C Driver, March 09, 2013, 01:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: dgss1 on March 10, 2013, 07:11:47 PM
Quote from: Stu on March 09, 2013, 11:25:28 AM
Quote from: Shaun on March 09, 2013, 02:07:16 AM
Isn't all relevant to the 'Connected City' project

It's part of the Smart Network project.

http://www.mynetwork.org.uk/Birmingham.aspx

The Bristol Road and Pershore Road are the 'South Birmingham Technology Corridor', the shelters on these key routes are being upgraded with better information systems for passengers.
Why don't they just do what they did with the 11 shelters? They're still the blue one but have still got live timings, and besides they're  still green shelters in a lot of places >:( >:(

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find even older shelters still in use somewhere
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Lukeee

Quote from: Kevin on March 10, 2013, 09:28:26 PM

The Bristol Road and Pershore Road are the 'South Birmingham Technology Corridor', the shelters on these key routes are being upgraded with better information systems for passengers.
Why don't they just do what they did with the 11 shelters? They're still the blue one but have still got live timings, and besides they're  still green shelters in a lot of places >:( >:(

I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find even older shelters still in use somewhere

Belive there was a wooden and brick shelter in use in Sutton Coldfield, not to sure if its still there however. Also my local shelter is a green and yellow one and is so much more comfy and warm that the so called 'shelters' in the City.

JB93

Quote from: Lukeee on March 10, 2013, 09:32:05 PM
Quote from: Kevin on March 10, 2013, 09:28:26 PM

Belive there was a wooden and brick shelter in use in Sutton Coldfield, not to sure if its still there however. Also my local shelter is a green and yellow one and is so much more comfy and warm that the so called 'shelters' in the City.

There's a wooden and brick shelter on a roundabout in Kingshurst where the 56, 59, 71, 72 and 966 stop. On the Chester Road going towards the Morrisons and the Timberley shops.

Sh4318

If the shelters had a bigger roof, and more comfortable seats, they'd be fine, in my opinion
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

ilovetea4370

And more than 1 glass wall would be a start too... I think the Blue ones are the best personally, proper sturdy structures that at the very least keep you dry!

suavegarv

A few of the bus shelters on Kingshurst during the 1990's on the 55 and 93 routes were brick built due to vandalism of the old style perspex ones!!. One good thing about them was that they were wind resistant and reasonably warm.a bad thing about them were that you never saw or heard the bus coming until it was too late,especially if you were waiting with your girlfriend for the last bus home!!

Sh4318

Quote from: trident4370 on March 12, 2013, 11:54:19 PM
And more than 1 glass wall would be a start too... I think the Blue ones are the best personally, proper sturdy structures that at the very least keep you dry!

That was my whole point about the bigger roof, to accommodate more people, I wasn't really a huge fan of the blue shelters, especially in the city centre, I found them claustrophobic and cramped, although, I'm not a huge fan of the new shelters either, definitely need improvement, saying that, I rarely use the bus these days

Sh4318

Quote from: suavegarv on March 13, 2013, 12:01:07 AM
A few of the bus shelters on Kingshurst during the 1990's on the 55 and 93 routes were brick built due to vandalism of the old style perspex ones!!. One good thing about them was that they were wind resistant and reasonably warm.a bad thing about them were that you never saw or heard the bus coming until it was too late,especially if you were waiting with your girlfriend for the last bus home!!

There are still brick bus stops around. Noticeably, the 90 bus stop opposite Water Orton rail station. If memory serves me well, there's even a bench for waiting passengers, which was a nice touch

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Well all of the Centro West Midlands bus stops are far better than the 255/256 ones outside the County border around Wombourne, tiny signs, no labels of which bus stops there apart from one which still lists the 556, there's also no timetables whatever and no shelters of any kind

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk