News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

NX Hybrids

Started by Nathan4775, April 18, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the hybrids do you prefer?

Volvo B5LH
45 (55.6%)
Enviro400H
36 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Roy

Quote from: Tomjusttom on October 06, 2012, 02:17:18 PM
I am sure I've seen one on the 13X Brighton to Eastbourne. Although i may Brighton wrong and it could have been a new B9

It's possible as the 13X is operated by Conway Street garage, who run the 2 ex-demonstrator B5LH's currently in service (including the one trialled by NXWM as 4699).  When I caught the 13X a couple of weekends ago, Conway Street were using a mix of 12-reg B9TL's and 09-reg Omnicity's that day.  Mind you, the 13X route would certainly sort out any potential weaknesses!   

Typhoon2000

Does any bus drivers know how 5409 is doing? - It's the ADL Enviro400h modified for stop-start. I'm just wondering if anyone's had any engineers reports to see if it's improve consumption and emissions figures over the rest.

Anyone have a fact based/ quantifiable evidence of it's reliability and any anecdotal comments on the way it drives?
People - The life blood of a city.
Public transport - the veins it flows by.

GB143

What's the PVR for the 22/23 during the week? There seems to be more hybrids spilling over onto the 24 Mon-Fri compared to none when the hybrids first arrived and wondered how many are actually available to be sent out on the 24.

Mike K

I believe the day time vehicle requirement of the 22/23 is 14, with 2 or 3 extra buses at peak periods. In practice there are often 1 or 2 non hybrids on peak journeys freeing up 2 or sometimes 3 hybrids for the 24 all day. Not 100% sure on exact numbers but these are there or thereabouts.

settlerman

I think 5504 and 5509 are now stop / start.

Mike K

Quote from: settlerman on November 08, 2012, 02:21:02 PM

Settlerman do you mean 5404 / 5409? All of the Volvo B5LH hybrids (55xx) are stop start.

settlerman

Quote from: Mike K on November 08, 2012, 10:08:48 PM
Quote from: settlerman on November 08, 2012, 02:21:02 PM

Settlerman do you mean 5404 / 5409? All of the Volvo B5LH hybrids (55xx) are stop start.
My mistake. Didn't know all Volvo were stop start.

Typhoon2000

^^ Yeh, they're using the Volvo iDrive system similar to the that which has evolved in their car based technology. It's quite effective really, although for many drivers used to using slushboxes, the change from 1st to 2nd using the robotic gearbox can be a bit disconcerting to begin with. That initial 'lag' issue was addressed from earlier with software updates and the lag reduced but it's still noticeable though.

One thing that surprised me was how nippy the bus seems - I was on a 22 and the driver was able to boot it away from the lights and throw it into corners.. The performance on these things is amazing. -I had heard tales that Volvo showed off de-restricted demo machines where they were able to make the rear wheels spin under hard acceleration.

woody38

it is official NX wolverhampton are to get 12 hybrid envrio 400 here is the link
http://www.alexander-dennis.com/media-details.php?s=47&subs=69&catID=1&itemID=150

Gareth

I see the press release has National Express Wolverhampton as an operator. Good to know that ADL know their customers!  ;)

Mike K

Quote from: Typhoon2000 on November 15, 2012, 03:24:09 AM
^^ Yeh, they're using the Volvo iDrive system similar to the that which has evolved in their car based technology. It's quite effective really, although for many drivers used to using slushboxes, the change from 1st to 2nd using the robotic gearbox can be a bit disconcerting to begin with. That initial 'lag' issue was addressed from earlier with software updates and the lag reduced but it's still noticeable though.

One thing that surprised me was how nippy the bus seems - I was on a 22 and the driver was able to boot it away from the lights and throw it into corners.. The performance on these things is amazing. -I had heard tales that Volvo showed off de-restricted demo machines where they were able to make the rear wheels spin under hard acceleration.

Agreed Typhoon2000. Given the slow moving stop start nature of the 22/23 routes it's not that often you get to see what the B5LHs are capable of, but catch a late night one that's running late and it surprising how fast these things move. I've been on them on the weekend nights Sandpits / Ladywood Middleway section of the route where they've shown a clean pair of heels to non-hybrid deckers. They certainly feel a lot faster than the E400Hs.

winston

Quote from: woody38 on November 15, 2012, 03:30:13 PM
it is official NX wolverhampton are to get 12 hybrid envrio 400 here is the link
http://www.alexander-dennis.com/media-details.php?s=47&subs=69&catID=1&itemID=150

Dundee only appear to be receiving 9 x Enviro 400H now not the original10

Stevo

I read in Buses recently that Enviro 400s only did about 40 mph top speed - they're no use for open roads and interurban routes.

MW

The 175 midi buses to be built by ADL in the remainder of this year are destined for a large number of operators, including Reay's Coaches, Mid Wales Travel, CEN Group, Tates Travel, Watts Travel, Whitelaws Coaches, Ace Travel, Go Goodwins, Stephenson's of Essex, Compass Travel, Manchester Airport, A2B Travel, Houston Travel, Little Coaches, Hornsby Travel, Repton's Coaches and Lewis Y Llan.

Looks like Central Buses are expecting more Enviro200s?!

Typhoon2000

Quote from: Mike K on November 15, 2012, 04:29:19 PM
Quote from: Typhoon2000 on November 15, 2012, 03:24:09 AM

Agreed Typhoon2000. Given the slow moving stop start nature of the 22/23 routes it's not that often you get to see what the B5LHs are capable of, but catch a late night one that's running late and it surprising how fast these things move. I've been on them on the weekend nights Sandpits / Ladywood Middleway section of the route where they've shown a clean pair of heels to non-hybrid deckers. They certainly feel a lot faster than the E400Hs.

I was talking about from the lights coming out from under the bridge at St Chads... That thing seriously shifted from a standing start!!! whew!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk