News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Route numbers

Started by Twm4001, April 18, 2012, 07:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twm4001

How about having groups of numbers for geographical locations around the network? Perhaps 0 to 99 for Birmingham Services, 100 to 199 for services from Birmingham to other districts, 200 to 299 for services in and around Dudley, 300 to 399 for services in and around Walsall, 500 to 599 for services in and around Wolverhampton.

It works in Sandwell (400 to 499) why not do it elsewhere?

When I do a search on the local traveline I don't want the option of three different 28s!

I'm probably stuck in the past many would say but the current state of the numbering system is poor, either do it one way or the other. The main public transport search engines are regional not town based, the 28 issue quoted is just going to put people off and add unnecessary confusion.

Karma-100 sorry as its the first post Tony!

Richard

Tony

You worry about the 28, try putting 6 in!

Twm4001

And knowing the systems in place the drivers probably type in something completely different on their ticket machines?

Tony

W6 in Walsall, N6 in Wolverhampton, C6 in Coventry, 6 in Birmingham

I personally didn't see a problem with the previous numbering. But maybe that's just me

Ash

I know because of clashes with numbers for example the 301/2 couldnt become the 1 and 2 due to arriva dunno whether this would happen anyway, so when the network review happens you are left with services with complete new numbers and some that retain the old 3xx or 5xx route numbers, so i dont see the point in renumbering services that remain the same after a network review for example (the 366 becomes the 6) hence i prefer the area route allocation. Its suppose to make route numbers easier to understand by having single digits or double digit routes but i dont see the advantage in it as it's just a number you remember whether you use the 29 or 301 to Bloxwich.

I know, the numbering layout was pretty simple I thought. But I suppose the '6' sounds better than the '306', I think it's ok for Wolverhampton though, considering it's in Staffordshire

Quote from: Ash on April 18, 2012, 11:00:05 PM
I know because of clashes with numbers for example the 301/2 couldnt become the 1 and 2 due to arriva dunno whether this would happen anyway, so when the network review happens you are left with services with complete new numbers and some that retain the old 3xx or 5xx route numbers, so i dont see the point in renumbering services that remain the same after a network review for example (the 366 becomes the 6) hence i prefer the area route allocation. Its suppose to make route numbers easier to understand by having single digits or double digit routes but i dont see the advantage in it as it's just a number you remember whether you use the 29 or 301 to Bloxwich.

SMK

Quote from: 4504 on April 18, 2012, 11:26:14 PM
I think it's ok for Wolverhampton though, considering it's in Staffordshire
Not since 1974 ;)

Btw does anyone know why they changed the numbering system in Wolves and Walsall?
I remember overhearing some folk saying it was to make the numbering system easier for pensioners to understand lol.
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

D10

Yes SMK, it was because supposedly some people found it easier to remember 1 or2  digit numbers. Personally I find that a little bit patronising to the people of the West Midlands who lets face it have seemingly been able to use routes with 3 digits since Midland Red days.

I suppose it's alright if the two services with the same numbers don't clash. I.e. 29WA, 29BC. There are quite a few numbers spare on the Birmingham numbering, e.g. 21, 25, 53, do I thought WA would've used these

Lukeee

There is a 25 in the birmingham area, Erdington - Ward End ran by Blue Diamond.

SMK

Quote from: D10 on April 19, 2012, 10:27:21 AM
Yes SMK, it was because supposedly some people found it easier to remember 1 or2  digit numbers. Personally I find that a little bit patronising to the people of the West Midlands who lets face it have seemingly been able to use routes with 3 digits since Midland Red days.
That's ironic considering a lot of folk were confused when they changed the numbers over. Though that was probably also to do with the creation of the "cross-city" routes.
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

Nathan4775

I think the 200- 299 works quite well aswell as the routes 400-499
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Roy

Personally, I preferred the old system of 1-199 for Birmingham and its surrounds, 200-299 for Dudley, 300-399 for Walsall, 400-499 for West Bromwich and 500-599 for Wolverhampton.  The only mistake they made was not to renumber Coventry services to 600-699 when they took them over in 1974.  The problem with the new system comes when you are picking up timetables at an enquiry office and have to make sure that you pick up the right number 1 timetable, for example.  It doesn't help that the Walsall number 35 goes to Druids Heath - the same name as an old destination of the Birmingham 35.

Just one question about the new numbers.  National Express in Wolverhampton renumbered every one of their 500+ route numbers, except one.  There were rumours before the Wolverhampton Review was made public that the 529 was to become route number 52.  So why was the 529 not renumbered like all the others?

D10

Quote from: Roy on April 24, 2012, 02:52:12 PM
Personally, I preferred the old system of 1-199 for Birmingham and its surrounds, 200-299 for Dudley, 300-399 for Walsall, 400-499 for West Bromwich and 500-599 for Wolverhampton.  The only mistake they made was not to renumber Coventry services to 600-699 when they took them over in 1974.  The problem with the new system comes when you are picking up timetables at an enquiry office and have to make sure that you pick up the right number 1 timetable, for example.  It doesn't help that the Walsall number 35 goes to Druids Heath - the same name as an old destination of the Birmingham 35.

Just one question about the new numbers.  National Express in Wolverhampton renumbered every one of their 500+ route numbers, except one.  There were rumours before the Wolverhampton Review was made public that the 529 was to become route number 52.  So why was the 529 not renumbered like all the others?

Goodpoints, I know that I went into the Pavillions Travel Shop for a copy of the Wolverhampton 2 timetable, then when I got home realised it was for the Walsall 2! So I do wonder how the general public manage when they obvioulsy have less understanding of the route networks than enthusiasts.

Regarding the 529, it seems as though some of the trunk inter-town routes were left as 3 digit numbers (529/126/256), so perhaps they wanted to show the difference between these routes and the more local routes (2/10/32 etc) and the non-direct inter-town services (40/69/81 etc)?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk