News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

97 finally extended?

Started by notepanel, January 28, 2013, 02:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: dayvid on April 25, 2013, 08:26:09 PM
Quote from: JB93 on April 22, 2013, 01:11:04 PM
I can see the 97 stop from my kitchen and all the ones I've seen throughout the middle of the night have been double deckers like normal.
And if it's any consolation, when I temporarily move back home next month I'll be using it at about 3am to get home from work :')

Well maybe the volvo single decker displaying 97 on the front driving through the wood was really just a phantom bus in disguise?

It connects at International station with the ghost train....

....ill get my coat
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

JB93

Quote from: Kevin on April 25, 2013, 10:33:46 PM
I can see the 97 stop from my kitchen and all the ones I've seen throughout the middle of the night have been double deckers like normal.
And if it's any consolation, when I temporarily move back home next month I'll be using it at about 3am to get home from work :')

Well maybe the volvo single decker displaying 97 on the front driving through the wood was really just a phantom bus in disguise?

....ill get my coat

I didn't say there weren't any single deckers being used, just that I'd only seen double deckers.... obviously I don't sit there watching every bus that turns up, so a polite little "actually, that's not right" would be appreciated rather than sarcasm.

BCMobile

Quote from: JB93 on April 26, 2013, 07:29:00 AM
Quote from: Kevin on April 25, 2013, 10:33:46 PM

....ill get my coat

I didn't say there weren't any single deckers being used, just that I'd only seen double deckers.... obviously I don't sit there watching every bus that turns up, so a polite little "actually, that's not right" would be appreciated rather than sarcasm.

Children! Please!

As I've said prior, Twilight allocation must be branded (listed buses on previous post) . Because not all the buses are branded yet they can get away with any veh on the route. Especially early last week, another spat of abs lights...

Typhoon2000

Quote from: dannygill on April 25, 2013, 08:42:12 AM
I would also think it would make more sense to use a small bus at nigut enviro 200 ideal with its smaller engine tyres etc would have lower running costs. And the service isnt going to be a kassive boom of night travellers it will build gradually but I think to enhance its growth we need a network of night routes along key corridors to boost growth and really give people the option of being able to use the bus at anytime

I agree with this: a 9 and 97 double act would be great for linking east with west- although the 9 should stop up by the 97 stop after 1am.

97 doesn't just provide jobs to the airports, it's a lifeline to those that work in the bars and clubs in town late at night. I just hope the drivers are properly protected out there and any anti-social behaviour on the buses is stamped out by the police either by response or by information. It'd be great if this ended up being successful after 3 years
People - The life blood of a city.
Public transport - the veins it flows by.

Kevin

Quote from: Typhoon2000 on April 26, 2013, 04:09:31 PM
Quote from: dannygill on April 25, 2013, 08:42:12 AM
I would also think it would make more sense to use a small bus at nigut enviro 200 ideal with its smaller engine tyres etc would have lower running costs. And the service isnt going to be a kassive boom of night travellers it will build gradually but I think to enhance its growth we need a network of night routes along key corridors to boost growth and really give people the option of being able to use the bus at anytime

I agree with this: a 9 and 97 double act would be great for linking east with west- although the 9 should stop up by the 97 stop after 1am.

97 doesn't just provide jobs to the airports, it's a lifeline to those that work in the bars and clubs in town late at night. I just hope the drivers are properly protected out there and any anti-social behaviour on the buses is stamped out by the police either by response or by information. It'd be great if this ended up being successful after 3 years

We can but hope, although people will always have the view that we don't need night buses

John

Stuharris 6360

Centro were on Radio WM this morning, Adrian Goldberg Show, saying how bus journey's were down in the West Midlands last year compared with the year before, 4 million less journeys made. Adrian opened the phone lines up and we had the usual bus bashing exercise.

Of interest, one caller was asking why the 97 had been extended to the airport when there was already the 900 that serves the Airport from the city centre, also why a half hourly Night Bus services had been introduced. He wanted to know why Centro had funded this service, a question which Adrian didn't know the answer to. He said he would investigate it.

Why are some people never happy, surely a better connection to the Airport from other parts of the city can only be applauded, and as i understand the airport is subsidising the night service, so where is the problem?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

bwsau cymru

Well as I have said on here before centro are not funding the 97 it is funded on a 5 year contract by nec and airport who are using the service to connect the airports to areas of Birmingham where unemployment is high and where they can look to provide jobs for people. I think its a great idea. I think now the service is up and running whilst it would be nice for the 900 to be 24/7 its more sense with the 97 as its a much busier corridor!
campaigning for better transport for all

Liverpool Street

Quote from: dannygill on June 20, 2013, 09:56:37 PM
Well as I have said on here before centro are not funding the 97 it is funded on a 5 year contract by nec and airport who are using the service to connect the airports to areas of Birmingham where unemployment is high and where they can look to provide jobs for people. I think its a great idea. I think now the service is up and running whilst it would be nice for the 900 to be 24/7 its more sense with the 97 as its a much busier corridor!

Exactly. If you need to go to the Airport in the night, you've got a service. So what's the Big Issue?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

j789

No doubt the caller was a car user who has never used the service. The sooner a congestion charge gets implemented in Birmingham the better as then the bus will really become a viable alternative. Centro and the bus companies should be pushing for this at every opportunity and spend so much time worrying about tram extensions.

j789

That last bit should have said 'spend less time worrying about tram extensions'!!!!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: j789 on June 20, 2013, 10:29:56 PM
No doubt the caller was a car user who has never used the service. The sooner a congestion charge gets implemented in Birmingham the better as then the bus will really become a viable alternative. Centro and the bus companies should be pushing for this at every opportunity and spend so much time worrying about tram extensions.

You would think so but I doubt it. With all the car parks etc I think they'll lose too much.

Bloody stupid we're probably the only city which has a ring road that goes through the middle of it.

I've always said, along with my colleagues, no cars past the inner ring road, build massive car parks near the ring road and have shuttle buses in. This city's roads are too small for this volume of traffic. (Obviously you can go through to get to work but you should be issued with a pass or whatever. It was only banter in the garage)

Or do like the Americans and build double decker roads.. lol (Who has that kind of money)

Quote from: j789 on June 20, 2013, 10:33:16 PM
That last bit should have said 'spend less time worrying about tram extensions'!!!!

I guessed that much, lol  ;)
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

j789

Unfortunately most of the planners/power brokers probably have never been on a bus since they were young so the bus rarely seems to get any sort of priority in planning. Having one major operator in Birmingham should actually help the planners install a proper integrated transport network as less people/companies to deal with.

Kevin

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 20, 2013, 09:35:41 PM
Centro were on Radio WM this morning, Adrian Goldberg Show, saying how bus journey's were down in the West Midlands last year compared with the year before, 4 million less journeys made. Adrian opened the phone lines up and we had the usual bus bashing exercise.

Of interest, one caller was asking why the 97 had been extended to the airport when there was already the 900 that serves the Airport from the city centre, also why a half hourly Night Bus services had been introduced. He wanted to know why Centro had funded this service, a question which Adrian didn't know the answer to. He said he would investigate it.

Why are some people never happy, surely a better connection to the Airport from other parts of the city can only be applauded, and as i understand the airport is subsidising the night service, so where is the problem?

Herein lies the problem with society. People complain for any reason, and in trying to get their point across they make up / assume "facts" that sound plausible... I seriously hope they did some research after the call and mentioned on air the actual facts that it isn't Centro funded

sonic84

For those of you who don't know, according to the NWM changes as of today the 97's to the airport become the 97A, and the short journeys to pine square have become 97P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk