News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Optare Excel

Started by don, April 17, 2012, 01:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew1991

706 is currently in wolverhampton bus station with a load of steam coming from the engine & water flooding out of it. So my question is, if these buses are always breaking down why didn't they replace all of these before replacing the volvo's.

Ashley

Because theres a lack of logic within NXWM. WN had the new Volvos which replaced mini Excels for withdrawal and Mercs for transfer to PE, CV and WB. Not too long later, we get another load of BY Mercs to replace the Excels. Maybe thats just how the vehicle changeover was intended but it would have made mre sense to keep the Mercs at WN and just replace the Excels all that time ago, all the same there aren't yet enough vehicles to get the last excels replaced, their replacements presumably being more Mercs from BY when the olympics end

Andrew1991

Hopefully, fed up of them breaking down. The 81's much better now its all merc's. They can actually get up the hill in lodge farm.

Tony

Quote from: Ashley on July 27, 2012, 11:13:18 PM
Because theres a lack of logic within NXWM. WN had the new Volvos which replaced mini Excels for withdrawal and Mercs for transfer to PE, CV and WB. Not too long later, we get another load of BY Mercs to replace the Excels. Maybe thats just how the vehicle changeover was intended but it would have made mre sense to keep the Mercs at WN and just replace the Excels all that time ago, all the same there aren't yet enough vehicles to get the last excels replaced, their replacements presumably being more Mercs from BY when the olympics end

Which may have meant doing expensive work on B6s just to keep them in service for another couple of months

Discodave

They were nasty new and stil nasty some bad points

1.took ages to lower people had got off by the time it was down
2.protection screen could not hear passengers and reflected light from saloon
3.could only see about 25% of N/s mirror due to the stupid little curved side window infront of the doors and no matter how you moved the mirror is was still crap
4.very jerky throttle no matter how light you pressed it and when braking the retarder would kick in so hard it threw people even putting on the lightest of pressure to the pedal
5.boil over every time you went up a hill or with a full load

any more points would be gladly welcomed

don

Siscodave - that list sounds quite bad but they're a better looking design than any others of the era. Other types of buses seem to have unloaded before the kneeling system is fully lowered.

Some Dennis Darts of this age are awful from a passenger's viewpoint - talk about rattle and roar.

I wonder how much iof all of this is down to lightweight construction and thinning out the mandatory/required maintenance requirements for vehicles?
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

mranon

i like the optare excels design, but feel after driving them all these years that mechanically the design was done then, its .... we need an engine, ah yes stick it there etc.

the design aspect, if it had mirrors like the new b7's, the window wouldnt be an issue. yes the cab protection could be better, as could the rear view mirror. one of my main issues is the crap ventilation/heating, and the sun blind. however, they have their good points too. its one of the easiest low floors for oldens to board, and broke the mould in design.

blackpool transport have really gone to town on theirs, re engineering them etc.

one thing i cant get over, is why do they cram everything at the rear? surely they should mount the radiator elsewhere to give it a chance of actually cooling.

engine wise similar to a dart, its a small lump to propel the bigger versions of them. samer as b6. volvo went wrong here too.

Discodave

Quote from: don on July 29, 2012, 12:13:28 PM
Siscodave - that list sounds quite bad but they're a better looking design than any others of the era. Other types of buses seem to have unloaded before the kneeling system is fully lowered.

Some Dennis Darts of this age are awful from a passenger's viewpoint - talk about rattle and roar.

I wonder how much iof all of this is down to lightweight construction and thinning out the mandatory/required maintenance requirements for vehicles?

Drove dennis darts a lot thanks to Arriva service agree the same as a driver rattle and roar maintence was non existant at cannock and the darts there are still knackered
4006 yes if a bus is looked after they are good the spectras are optare and they are not too bad I must have just had all the bad ones when I was at PL never ever had a good one

Badger

Looking at the fleet changes I count 8 Excels left, could be wrong.

684, 687, 693, 705,6,7,8, 711.

Being a kid really, these were my first experience of "a new bus", the first time really recognising that the buses were brand new and shiny. I remember being amazed at the size of the windscreen compared to the Metrobuses et al that used to do the 503. I believe these were the first buses I caught that didn't have the flat Metrobus style seating, too. They were dead posh.

But within ten years they'd become knackered, vandalised, graffiti'd saunas.

It will be sad to see them go but maybe it's for the best. I know they weren't the most loved buses in the fleet but they're special to me!

Any idea when the last will be around?
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

PM

I agree. My first experience of a new bus was probably the b6s on the 44 and then south birmingham didnt really have much till the tridents... Anyway, the excels I think it is for the best that they go however travelling on a merc on the 448-1622-this had original seats-I was dead impressed by comfort, speeed and ride quality and they should withdraw all the b10ls, b6s, excels and wright darts before these mercs as they really are great

winston

Excels are now down to 6 left in service, 705 & 706 have since transferred to reserve @ Lea Hall,

Quote from: Badger on September 11, 2012, 05:55:49 PM
Looking at the fleet changes I count 8 Excels left, could be wrong.

684, 687, 693, 705,6,7,8, 711.

Being a kid really, these were my first experience of "a new bus", the first time really recognising that the buses were brand new and shiny. I remember being amazed at the size of the windscreen compared to the Metrobuses et al that used to do the 503. I believe these were the first buses I caught that didn't have the flat Metrobus style seating, too. They were dead posh.

But within ten years they'd become knackered, vandalised, graffiti'd saunas.

It will be sad to see them go but maybe it's for the best. I know they weren't the most loved buses in the fleet but they're special to me!

Any idea when the last will be around?

Ash

Quote from: Peter123 on September 11, 2012, 06:18:01 PM
I agree. My first experience of a new bus was probably the b6s on the 44 and then south birmingham didnt really have much till the tridents... Anyway, the excels I think it is for the best that they go however travelling on a merc on the 448-1622-this had original seats-I was dead impressed by comfort, speeed and ride quality and they should withdraw all the b10ls, b6s, excels and wright darts before these mercs as they really are great

Most of the mercs at WB seem to be in good condition we at least some of the original ones that have spent all there life there not sure what condition the recently transferred mercs from BY are like.

Wolfman

They were sort of my first experience of the new bus in town too. I first boarded one on in 2001 on route 261 towards Dudley. Thought they where alright. I liked how spacious it was inside and the TWM color scheme I thought was fab. I always did prefer the B10Ls Endurance and Strider bodies to the Excels and above all else, The MetroBus are my fav.
When those exLonden Excels moved in tho, you see them on 501 service from Tettenhall towards town on the evenings packed out with little leg room. That was it for me. I've hated them ever since. But I've come round to liking them again, and it'll be sad to see em go.
What happened to free speech?

Wolfman

6 left? This is it, we're into the final weeks/days.

Does anyone  know when they'll start withdrawing the Solos?
What happened to free speech?

BN

707 is next to go to LH by the end of the week I hear.

No solos to be withdrawn unless there is the correct size replacements avaliable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk