News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

New route?

Started by Mike360, April 12, 2012, 07:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnl1984

Here is one that i think may be viable... and have the designated buses branded as such...

How about an X11... It does the 'outer circle' route, however as an express... It only stops at main stops, i.e. Harborne (Lordswood Road), Selly Oak (Bristol Road), Cotteridge (Watford Road), Kings Heath (Vicarage Road)... and so on... cut out all the stops in between, which will remain to be served by the usual 11A/C - I could see this as an efficient means of getting around the outer circle route with quick links to where many people want to get to...

(Perhaps even have this stop at the new QE hospital)

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Well from what I have seen of the Outer Circle the traffic can sometimes be horrendous and a traffic jam is far more time consuming often than having to stop at between 10-15 stops so I really can't see it working especially as a lot of the route is on fairly narrow, congested roads and goes through a lot of urban areas, through various high streets, any time saving measure as an advantage I would think would be outweighed by the nuisance of not being able to get on and off where you choose. Now I know you said to run it as an extra service but as the 11 already uses in excess of 40 buses you would have to reduce the frequency of the normal 11 which I can't see happening as its a worldwide showcase route. Even if NXWM thought it a fantastic idea and decided to run it as an extra service, A) It would be extremely expensive, B) Where would all these buses go and C) More buses going round would only add to congestion which would knock on the head any speed benefits.

Nathan4775

I think it would be quite potential at Peak times to speed up journeys, the 11A/C links most of Birmingham together thats why its such a good route and why people travel on there, So a X11 or 11X at Peak times would be quite good, even if its not operated by AG theres PB,YW who could operate that as I know those garages must have a few buses spare.

Another postive about an 11X is that it would speed up times on there so it would take 1hr or just over 1hr instead of 2 1/2 hrs, 8), If it was to be speeded up a little bit then I think way more people would travel on it
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Tony

I think it would need to be a helicopter service to go around the outer circle in just over an hour

I think the initial thought is good, but it would be too difficult to implement

Quote from: jnl1984 on May 06, 2012, 04:28:15 AM
Here is one that i think may be viable... and have the designated buses branded as such...

How about an X11... It does the 'outer circle' route, however as an express... It only stops at main stops, i.e. Harborne (Lordswood Road), Selly Oak (Bristol Road), Cotteridge (Watford Road), Kings Heath (Vicarage Road)... and so on... cut out all the stops in between, which will remain to be served by the usual 11A/C - I could see this as an efficient means of getting around the outer circle route with quick links to where many people want to get to...

(Perhaps even have this stop at the new QE hospital)

Justin Tyme

Two more things to think about on the X11: -

• How many people only want to travel between the major points?
  • Even if it was much quicker, would people wait for it or would they just catch the first bus that comes?

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

The number 11 route is roughly 27 miles, so to travel the route in 1hr a steady 30MPH would need to be achieved, this would be impossible even in a car making no stops whatsoever! Take into account traffic, traffic lights, roundabouts, 20 MPH zones and stops the average speed is probably something more like 10-15 MPH

Nathan4775

It would depend on were the X11 stops, if it was to miss out Handsworth that would give an extra 15 minutes as the 11A/C seem to get held up there
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Tony

And quite how would the Outer Circle avoid Handsworth

MW

Quote from: Tony on May 09, 2012, 08:43:35 PM

Simple!

Tony

Quote from: Michael on May 09, 2012, 08:48:40 PM

Simple!

Name a route then?
(One that wouldn't take the 15 minutes that Nathan claims the 11 uses)

MW

Quote from: Tony on May 09, 2012, 08:50:29 PM

Simple!

Name a route then?

It's a joke. See the photograph of the flying bus lmao.

Tony

Quote from: Michael on May 09, 2012, 08:58:03 PM

Simple!

Name a route then?

Sorry.....
I have been ignoring the pictures at the bottom after seeing that Enviro so many times!

I don't think even that could keep top some of Nathan's timings

MW

Quote from: Tony on May 09, 2012, 09:08:43 PM
Quote from: Michael on May 09, 2012, 08:58:03 PM

Simple!

Name a route then?

Sorry.....
I have been ignoring the pictures at the bottom after seeing that Enviro so many times!

I don't think even that could keep top some of Nathan's timings

Yeah that Enviro is annoying lol.

danny

The 11 has worked for so many years would seem pointless changing it and if it avoided hansworth then it ay tecnically the outer circle, and an x would only cause more bunching, sorry nathen
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk