News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Ferry Lifts

Started by tank90, November 09, 2012, 12:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tank90

A ferry lift is either

1 a hoist aboard a ferry to allow said ferry to berth at any pier and off load and load as long as the tide is right and a hoist ramp can sit of the pier. The two examples i know of that are still in operation are MV Hebridean Isles and MV Lord of the Isles which both are both owned by Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd who are owned by the Scottish government and sail for State owned Operator Caledonian MacBrayne.

2. Was used by the GWR on the King class so they could change the ride height if the locomotive but were never called ferry lifts.

3 a lift for a ferry.

And finally its used in buses and coaches to change the ride height by inflatting airbags so that it can board a ferry with out grounding, or getting over speed humps so that it doesnt ground, or even to drive over mounds of snow in the winter.

(I moved it here as I miss posted it in the wrong place and moved it after thinking I'm a plank)
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

j_rp_wright

I mainly use a ferry lift when going up still hills and narrow lanes to avoid grounding.

richie

When B10L's were used on the 311/246 you had to use the ferry lift to enter Stourbridge bus stn due to the incline the front would scrape and sometimes the exhaust

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk