News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

112 116

Started by adam 21, November 01, 2012, 07:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Did stevensons used to run an x38 to derby & birmingham via burton & lichfield respectively?

andy

I'm not aware of the X38 going into Birmingham.

nx4737

Quote from: andy on November 04, 2012, 05:48:11 PM
I'm not aware of the X38 going into Birmingham.

Can't recall it ever going as far as Birmingham.

nx4737

Quote from: andy on November 04, 2012, 12:19:41 PM
There was an X12 for a few years which continued to either Ashby or Derby from Burton. The only difference from the current route between Lichfield and Birmingham was that it ran straight down the main road between Wood End and Mere Green and was limited stop into Birmingham. There was also more recently a 912 which extended from Lichfield to Rugeley but that wasn't limited stop. This route, along with the 110, is one of the oldest ex Midland Red routes still being operated in its original form.

When was the 112 cut back to Lichfield? I recall it used to run through to Burton with branded Paladins.

andy

Quote from: nx4737 on November 04, 2012, 06:05:29 PM
Quote from: andy on November 04, 2012, 12:19:41 PM
There was an X12 for a few years which continued to either Ashby or Derby from Burton. The only difference from the current route between Lichfield and Birmingham was that it ran straight down the main road between Wood End and Mere Green and was limited stop into Birmingham. There was also more recently a 912 which extended from Lichfield to Rugeley but that wasn't limited stop. This route, along with the 110, is one of the oldest ex Midland Red routes still being operated in its original form.

When was the 112 cut back to Lichfield? I recall it used to run through to Burton with branded Paladins.

It was cut in half in late 2010, the Paladins still went through to Burton but changed to number 7 at Lichfield. Then shortly afterwards in 2011 Cannock took over the 112, before it passed back to Burton and now with Tamworth. The silly thing is it is now being operated by Tamworth yet is still timed within minutes of the 110. It was an ideal opportunity to retime it and spread it out amongst the 110's.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: bob on November 04, 2012, 05:29:36 PM
Did stevensons used to run an x38 to derby & birmingham via burton & lichfield respectively?
Yes they did - it ran Derby - Burton - Lichfield - Birmingham.  It started in 1981, I think.  The story goes that Midland Red was going to withdraw the Birmingham - Lichfield section of its Burton service (then X12), and Stevensons decided to replace it with a service through to Derby.

However, Midland Red East decided that it was not going to be committed to this, and decided to keep the whole of the X12.  The X38 did start but competed with the X12.  It did well though at first, and some journeys were operated by double decks, including Dual Purpose Bristol VRTs.  The Derby - Burton section was soon reduced to Saturdays only and later went altogether.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the X12 and X38 were merged as 112 after Stevensons bought Midland Fox's Swadlincote garage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk