News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

X62 v 98

Started by jrwxyz, August 12, 2012, 09:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrwxyz

The new 98 bus from Colmore Row to Frankley takes about an hour at peak times, but I can't remember/find an old timetable for the X62. What were the journey times like for that route?

Does anyone think it might've been better for them to have changed the X64 to the 98 instead?

Mike K

I believe the rationale behind the X64 was so that there was a direct and fast link from Weoley Castle into the City - the then 21 and 29 routes being quite long-winded and slow. I guess with directing the X62 rather than the X64 via the QE Hospital, at least most of the old X62 route still has a direct (although not limited stop) route into the City in the shape of the 63.

Re-routing the X64 via the QE would be effectively reinstating the old 21 which NXWM saw fit to axe - although I don't know why, it used to be a well used and popular route until they started messing with it. Just a few years ago the 21 was every 15 mins in the day and every 30 mins evenings and Sundays. Parts of Weoley Castle, Bangham Pit and Bartley Green that were served by the 21 now have a daytime bus to City every 30 mins, and hourly in the evenings, half the service they used to have.

Whilst some people on this group have said the X64 is well used, outside of peak hours NXWM obviously feel differently and the service has been significantly cut. Seems that the "Bristol Road Express" has not been particularly popular.

Can't help thinking that many of the changes in the South / West Birmingham network review were a step backwards.     

sonic84

Out of interest, with NXWM now running the 98 between Birmingham and the Hospital on a Sunday, does that mean the Centro could withdraw the funding for the section of the 99.  I followed one on my way home today, which basically ran none stop to the hospital with not one passenger on board.

As I'm not 100% sure, could Centro withdraw the funding... or would they have to see the contract out until it was up, and then re-assess the situation?

Stu

As far as I know, Centro tendered the 636 (now 99) journeys on Sunday, as VIP still operate the 99 on Sunday, I can only presume that NXWM are operating the 98 on Sundays commercially.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

sonic84

As NXWM are running the 98 commercially, could centro not withdraw the funding for the 99 between the hospital and the city centre on a sunday though now as it is adequately covered?

fleetline6477

I doubt that Centro would cut the tender for the 99 based on it sharing a route with commercial 98 between City Centre and QE since so much of the 99 route is not covered by the 98.

Discodave

If centro cut the tender would the operator running off demand compensation as it is a contract between them both I would certantly do like many say you run a business not a charity espically in these tough times

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk