News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hypothetical Question

Started by Ginger66, October 27, 2022, 08:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

It's rumoured that we have may have blackout's if there is not enough energy to this winter.

How will this effect public transport.  For buses, trains and trams.

Lukeee

Quote from: Ginger66 on October 27, 2022, 08:29:59 PMIt's rumoured that we have may have blackout's if there is not enough energy to this winter.

Makes you wonder how it will affect the electric buses in particular 

Rachvince53

The electric buses will likely come off and be replaced by diesels in a number of cases. 

mikestone

Surely they will be charged overnight and unaffected?

Steveminor

My understanding is "IF" we are struggling for power it would be a planned shut down if certain sections of the grid between certain times. IF this included public transport then rail would probably plan ahead to pull electric trains off & bus operators would simply charge the vehicles outside of the planned shutdown time.

Westy

You would've thought a certain amount of diesels would be retained, in case of problems with the electrics, hydrogen etc?

Tony

QuoteYou would've thought a certain amount of diesels would be retained, in case of problems with the electrics, hydrogen etc?
As has been said. Even if power cuts happen which is actually very unlikely they will be for a couple of hours a day, still giving 22 hours to charge buses for their next duty.

Hydrogens generate their own electricity

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Tony on October 28, 2022, 06:47:48 PMAs has been said. Even if power cuts happen which is actually very unlikely they will be for a couple of hours a day, still giving 22 hours to charge buses for their next duty.

Hydrogens generate their own electricity
But dont you need electricity to make the hydrogen me thinks?

EK40

Quote from: Ginger66 on October 27, 2022, 08:29:59 PMIt's rumoured that we have may have blackout's if there is not enough energy to this winter.

tbh i feel like if there was a power struggle public services are still gonna be prioritised over private services, especially railways since those move a lot of the countries cargo since it probably wouldnt be a total failure of the power grid just reduced production

BK63 YWP

QuoteBut dont you need electricity to make the hydrogen me thinks?
Hydrogen buses use Hydrogen gas to make the electricity to move. They fill up like a normal bus
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

QuoteBut dont you need electricity to make the hydrogen me thinks?
Again a two hour blackout allows 22 hours to generate the hydrogen 

Steveminor

Quote from: EK40 on October 28, 2022, 11:35:30 PMtbh i feel like if there was a power struggle public services are still gonna be prioritised over private services, especially railways since those move a lot of the countries cargo since it probably wouldnt be a total failure of the power grid just reduced production

Railways hmmm if only we had some sort of strategic steam reserve.

Tin hats at the ready 

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Steveminor on October 29, 2022, 11:45:14 AMRailways hmmm if only we had some sort of strategic steam reserve.

Tin hats at the ready

It's happened before!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8428097.stm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk