News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Electric bus charging infrastructure funding

Started by Justin Tyme, February 08, 2021, 08:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Tyme

Warwickshire County Council has announced £1.366 million funding to provide electric bus charging infrastructure in the county, initially for buses to be used on services into and out of Coventry.  It's the second item of funding in this article: -

https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/news/article/1712/county-council-approves-over-6-4m-funding-for-countywide-projects.

The article contains interesting information, although I wonder if it is 100% accurate - particularly the sentence "the County Council, Coventry City Council and Transport for West Midlands put forward a partnership Expression of Interest focused on replacing 325 cross boundary buses with an all-electric specification".  Should this really be 325 buses altogether, including cross boundary buses?

Still, it's good news.

Sandy Lane

Yep, good news.
Would this item sit best under Coventry as I think it will be hub for most of these services?

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Sandy Lane on February 08, 2021, 10:48:58 PM
Yep, good news.
Would this item sit best under Coventry as I think it will be hub for most of these services?

I thought about that but 'Coventry electric buses' is under NX Coventry and this covers other operators.   But I won't object if the moderators wish to move it.

Quote from: Justin Tyme on February 08, 2021, 11:15:30 PM
I thought about that but 'Coventry electric buses' is under NX Coventry and this covers other operators.   But I won't object if the moderators wish to move it.
A lot of them are Stagecoach operated I think. NX Coventry have never ran a service to Stratford or Warwick.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Kevin

Interesting to see cooperation across county boundaries though, Warwickshire County Council funding this despite (initially) being for Coventry buses. Definitely something to be applauded
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on February 08, 2021, 11:16:53 PM
A lot of them are Stagecoach operated I think. NX Coventry have never ran a service to Stratford or Warwick.

Generally correct, so I am not having a go, but NX did run the once a day 538

Quote from: Tony on February 09, 2021, 04:29:06 PM
Generally correct, so I am not having a go, but NX did run the once a day 538
What did the 538 used to be?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Stu

Quote from: Justin Tyme on February 08, 2021, 08:20:13 PM
The article contains interesting information, although I wonder if it is 100% accurate - particularly the sentence "the County Council, Coventry City Council and Transport for West Midlands put forward a partnership Expression of Interest focused on replacing 325 cross boundary buses with an all-electric specification".  Should this really be 325 buses altogether, including cross boundary buses?

I suppose the way to interpret 'cross-boundary' is that Coventry is being chosen to be a 'electric bus city', and while geographically Coventry sits in the county of Warwickshire, administratively it falls under the West Midlands.

While the majority of NX Coventry services do operate solely within the Coventry area of the West Midlands, some do venture beyond the 'boundary' and into Warwickshire. And of course there are other operators such as Stagecoach who also operate 'cross-boundary' services.

Also to be taken into consideration would be the NX West Midlands X1 service, which would also presumably end up being electric vehicle operated, and Johnsons' 87 and X20 services too.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

JPC

Quote from: Tony on February 09, 2021, 06:40:55 PM
It was a Coventry to Warwick service.

This would be the school day service numbered 537 tendered between Burton Green and Trinity School & Warwickshire College (which NX commercially extended between Pool Meadow and Burton Green for the morning journey at least), the return journey was numbered 536 or 547 at various stages.
Not to be confused with the current 539 which a good twenty or so years back, in the hands of A-Line Travel et al. did extend to Warwick and variant 538 which ran something like Coventry-Bubbenhall-Eathorpe-Weston-Cubbington-Leamington, A&M Flexibus still operates a 538 one day a week but on a completely changed route.

PB2938

952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk